Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gardiner Wolves

MTLabrador

Apparently the Yellowstone wolf watching community is getting fired up about the number of wolves taken lately. The premise that hunting wolves outside the park will have any measurable impact on tourism seems ridiculous to me.

I’m not thinking anything will come from this, but it will be interesting to see how much national attention it gets.

I find it hard to believe the park raises $30 million from wolf watchers. As populations grow, territory increases, taking them out of the park.

I’m not saying that’s what this is, but I could see it happening. For the record I’m glad the quota is gone in 313 and 316 and I’m probably going to go wolf hunting in Gardiner in the next couple weeks.
Hell yes. National attention. mtmuley

I would imagine the number of Yellowstone visitors that see a wolf is pretty low. Perception vs reality.

I'd bet that it's just a few wolves that make up the majority of sightings too. Just a few hyper visible wolves in areas near roads that guides can take customers to daily.

I'd bet that it's just a few wolves that make up the majority of sightings too. Just a few hyper visible wolves in areas near roads that guides can take customers to daily.
Winter wolves tend to spend most of their time around dead elk or bison. Not sure about the role of roads.;):D

Spent a few days down there recently. Wolves could be seen on a daily basis. I wasn't that interested in watching them from a mile away, so I didn't stop to participate. Plenty of other folks did and most own better optics than I can afford and certainly more money in the bank than I do. Not sure how much money they add to the local economy, but it's more than a few c-notes.

I was in the Lamar Valley a few years ago when a mangy coyote trotted down the road Everyone thought it was a majestic wolf.
Same with bears, You’d be amazed at the controversy behind a group of 20 people photographing what they think is a grizz and you walk up and say “oh that’s a cool black bear” lol.

Winter wolves tend to spend most of their time around dead elk or bison. Not sure about the role of roads.;):D

Spent a few days down there recently. Wolves could be seen on a daily basis. I wasn't that interested in watching them from a mile away, so I didn't stop to participate. Plenty of other folks did and most own better optics than I can afford and certainly more money in the bank than I do. Not sure how much money they add to the local economy, but it's more than a few c-notes.
I asked a guy on Blacktail last year if I could sneak a peak through his Swarovski 115. He just glared at me.

I went to Yellowstone park 8-9 years ago. One and done. Anyhow while driving around looking you see the crowds of people looking so you stop. I asked what are you guys looking at, they were running back to their cars to get camera's. A bunch of people said a wolf!!! a wolf!!! Ok, well I just drove by and saw a shitty looking coyote. Sure enough everyone going nuts over this dinky crappy looking coyote. The only guy there was a guy with a huge telephoto lens who looked at me and said coyote. I laughed and said oh for sure, I've shots lots of them. Bet that coyote only weighed 25 lbs.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back