Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gardiner Wolves

We were there one year and someone told us where a pack had a den close to the road in Lamar. So as we drove by, there were a bunch of people there and we stopped. No wolves in sight. Until I saw some in a different direction. I was like a hero to the masses for seeing them. However, when two of them lined up and I said pretty loud, "Look! You could get them both with one shot!" my hero status evaporated!
The wolf watchers are a very interesting culture. I see this guy in the park all the time.

View attachment 210244
With these two post right together, I can not quit thinking about slapping a giant cross hairs sticker on the head of the wolf in the front.

Since we’re talking backcountry…

The Thorofare is certainly on my bucket list. I’d also like to see the creek split at Two Ocean even though it looks underwhelming in photos. But that’s for a later date.

In the meantime, who here has spent some time in the Bechler area? I’d like to get back there for some fishing and camping this summer. I’d welcome some honey holes or at least an idea of when best to go and which campsites you liked, via PM or otherwise.
Lots of cool waterfalls In the bechler country. Everyone I know that hiked it reported the bugs as awful

People in the know see the wolves all year. While I’m not one of them, the ones that do know where they den or have a kill and have patience. A few people make a living because of them. My mother would visit a couple times a year and stay in Cook City or Gardener. However, the money made must be dwarfed by hunting money.

i went with my mom a few years ago in April and saw many wolves on a kill and 10 bears in a day. I saw a grizzly fighting wolves over the kill. You have to admit that’s cool.

You aren’t going to see much driving through in the summer.
We are all big boys and girls and comfortable in the woods. Get out and walk on or off trail and you will find solitude and unique things if you know where to look. Nothing like it…

Lots of cool waterfalls In the bechler country. Everyone I know that hiked it reported the bugs as awful
We did Mr. Bubbles the weekend after Labor Day in 2015. No bugs. September is the time to do it, after it’s gotten cold and killed them off, haven’t gone back since as I always am hunting elk that time of year now. I would suspect early would be the same. What killed this trip and another reason I haven’t done another trip in the Park is that we had reserved the campsite closest to the hot spring so in theory should guarantee it to ourselves in the evening as the next closest campsite was far enough away that it would necessitate hiking back in the dark. Had a group of potheads show up right at dusk, I was naked in the hot spring. They were seasonal workers with the park (Xantera), I asked where they were camping and they were still trying to figure that out. They had stumbled through our campsite hoping it was not being used. So we hiked 16 miles with the idea of seclusion only to meet this group of guys who had hiked in from Old Faithful even though they said they tried to get a campsite but “they were all reserved so we just came anyway.” 🤦🏼‍♂️ So since then I just felt no matter where I go in Yellowstone it’s contaminated with people. I wouldn’t have been upset if it was national forest, but it pretty much deflated what was a pretty neat trip. Didn’t see any big game. Maybe I will give the Thorofare a try someday.

Attachments

• E48A441D-6C74-4F0A-B873-D6069CD09189.jpeg
    E48A441D-6C74-4F0A-B873-D6069CD09189.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • E18F0E95-2F21-48FB-9C25-FABEA8F18970.jpeg
    E18F0E95-2F21-48FB-9C25-FABEA8F18970.jpeg
    793.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
We did Mr. Bubbles the weekend after Labor Day in 2015. No bugs. September is the time to do it, after it’s gotten cold and killed them off, haven’t gone back since as I always am hunting elk that time of year now. I would suspect early would be the same. What killed this trip and another reason I haven’t done another trip in the Park is that we had reserved the campsite closest to the hot spring so in theory should guarantee it to ourselves in the evening as the next closest campsite was far enough away that it would necessitate hiking back in the dark. Had a group of potheads show up right at dusk, I was naked in the hot spring. They were seasonal workers with the park (Xantera), I asked where they were camping and they were still trying to figure that out. They had stumbled through our campsite hoping it was not being used. So we hiked 16 miles with the idea of seclusion only to meet this group of guys who had hiked in from Old Faithful even though they said they tried to get a campsite but “they were all reserved so we just came anyway.” 🤦🏼‍♂️ So since then I just felt no matter where I go in Yellowstone it’s contaminated with people. I wouldn’t have been upset if it was national forest, but it pretty much deflated what was a pretty neat trip. Didn’t see any big game. Maybe I will give the Thorofare a try someday.
1. A$$hats like those intruding into the Bechler need to be reported and punished. Fortunately I think it's regularly patrolled. I reported a wannabe-militia-looking dude who was rude to his female hiking mate and I'm pretty sure was shooting his pistol in the Bechler. (I'm a lifelong gun owner and absolutely protective of the 2nd Amendment, but also absolutely opposed to shooting in some special places.)

2. Unlikely to see any potheads in the Thorofare, since it's not a day hike. No matter what mode of travel, it's two days to get in there. Visit the Thorofare sooner than later, as everything seems to get more popular nowadays. 'Hope it can maintain the pristine qualities. It is an amazing place.Mr. Bubbles.JPG
Mr. Bubbles

YNP would be a nice place to hunt wolves.
From memory, , , when Starker Leopold wrote up the original plan for conservation in our National Parks he suggested hunters as the primary method of managing wildlife not so different than is currently done in most other public land. Most of Starkers ideas formed the basis of management in NPs, but not that one.

It is pretty fun to go catch and release shed hunting in the park. Take some pics and make everyone think you’re a real pro.
The biggest mule deer antler I have ever found was in the park, A 29 in main beam and over 90 inches typical and a bunch of non typical to add in. I thought it was a freak elk antler when I first saw it. Why I didn't take a picture still baffles me today. I did take some pictures on other trips. Some day I will have to dig them out.

This head was in view of the Black Canyon trail on the other side of the suspension bridge.
Went back to fishing below the bridge and watched two guys carry the head over the bridge and head up the trail towards the trailhead.
They had a mile jump on us, on and off saw them still carrying the head in broad daylight. I swear they stashed it close to the road but couldn't find it.

20220130_150258.jpg

Hey folks some of you seem to know how to get away from crowds in YNP making plans to head that way this summer plan is getting a small cabin outside Gardiner Tammy has never been out west so just being their will be a blast for her
wasnt sure about going into park much due to crowds but I am taking all my back country gear and fly fishing stuff
still figuring out things to do any info from folks that have been in YNP would be great

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back