Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Game farm closes following violations

katqanna

State's largest game farm closing following violations

In April 2014, FWP said it found the Bowmans had inadequate fencing and allowed nine mule deer and two antelope to enter the game farm.

In May 2014, six DOL investigators and two FWP game wardens on horseback rounded up the elk and conducted an inventory. A helicopter also was used.

Six wild elk, four bulls, a cow and a calf, were found. The wild animals were identified because they did not have ear tattoos and tags like those on captive animals, Anderson said.

Records at the game farm also showed there were 47 more elk than than actually existed, FWP said.

Seems like a pretty common occurrence with those places. With the potential disease issues involved with game farms, I wish all of them were shut down in MT.

Certainly not the first time the Bowman's have had issues with their fences.

I didnt realize, until this article, that there were still game farms here. I thought that when they passed that legislation before, all the farms, like the one in Gardiner, were all shut down. That guy had "fence issues" and was capturing our wild elk too.

The Montana legislation "grandfathered" in existing game farms, but prohibits the sale of a game farm to someone else or the start-up of new ones.. High fence hunting is also prohibited by this legislation.

Per the article.
There are 30 game farms in Montana :eek:

The game farms are quickly going the way of the dinosaur in Montana...there were right near 100 prior to the passing of I-143.

The few still in business will not be shortly...Montana will eventually be free of the scourge.

Glad one more folded the tent.

Thanks for reminding me, Buzz; the Montana game farm law was the result of a strongly supported initiative voted in by the people as a whole. It has been challenged all the way up to the Montana supreme court as a "taking" and has been clearly upheld. I agree that one day not too far off the "scourge" of game farms will end in Montana.

"There really is a whole lot we'd love to say," she said. "Basically, they have an endless pot of money. And for the little person who is just trying to defend themselves to stay above water, it can break you."

So they should be allowed to break the law without punishment because they are "little"?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back