Game Down.....Now What?

CiK

I have never traveled far to hunt. I have always done so close to home, so meat care wasn't something I worried about too much.

When hunting in the backcountry, via archery and DIY......what are some tips on keeping the meat fresh/safe until you get it packed out? I am also wondering what I need to do once I make it back to my truck.

Thanks!

I don't have the experience like some of the guys on here, but we pack in and camp next to an ice cold creek. That's our water supply for the trip, and when we pack meat out, we put the meat in game bags, then plastic bags. We make a small dam in the creek and place the bags of meat in the creek. It also helps keep the scent down and critters out.

Bambistew wrote a good post on this not too long ago. I think it was called backcountry meat care. Use the search engine on here to find it. Its a good one.

Thanks! I will definitely look that up. I have another question that might not be covered there so I will ask here real quick before I go look it up.

I will be hunting with a buddy. What do you all suggest if one of us tags early and we pack it out to the truck and want to go back in to finish our "vacation/hunt"? Just ice it in a cooler in the truck until we get back out the 2nd time? Are there other options I am not thinking about?

I know I am being pretty "cup is half full" about both of us tagging an elk, but I play the "What If" game in my head a lot. :)

I don't have the experience like some of the guys on here, but we pack in and camp next to an ice cold creek. That's our water supply for the trip, and when we pack meat out, we put the meat in game bags, then plastic bags. We make a small dam in the creek and place the bags of meat in the creek. It also helps keep the scent down and critters out.

Good idea! We might try that.

I believe plastic bags will allow bacteria to grow if I'm not mistaken, even in a cold creek...but I could be totally wrong, so don't quote me :confused:

Last edited:
I believe plastic bags will allow bacteria to grow if I'm not mistaken, even in a cold creek...but I could be totally wrong, so don't quote me :confused:
I've kept them in a cooler in trash bags, with ice/snow, for up to a week. Just be sure to keep draining the cooler as needed. IMO, the downside to plastic is that it holds heat, but once cooled I've not had any problems.

CiK- Also look up Big Fin/Randy's youtube video on gutless processing. If you have to pack it on your back it'll reduce how much weight you have to pack. Hoosier gun season opens on Saturday, feel free to try it on one you shoot here. Just be sure to check it in before cutting it into pieces. I use my phone and the CheckIN system. The DNR app has a link to it.

I've kept them in a cooler in trash bags, with ice/snow, for up to a week. Just be sure to keep draining the cooler as needed. IMO, the downside to plastic is that it holds heat, but once cooled I've not had any problems.

Thank you. I never fill tags, and when I do I'm close to home, or my buddy's house to get them taken care of quickly, so I've never had to worry about long term care. When I was in Wyoming I put my antelope in a cooler on ice till cool then added dry ice for the ride home and duct taped the cooler shut, but I was only 7 hours from home and only had to keep the buck overnight in the cooler. One of these days I'll actually fill a tag that I'll have to worry about long term storage and cooling of meat lol :cool: On the HT bear hunts I do the same thing for my fish and when they guys (and gals) gift me meat...dry ice in a duct taped cooler and it stays cold for the long ride home.

Last edited:
I've heard the same thing John, but only about the indoor kitchen style bags. Supposedly they have a chemical that promotes decomposing.

Pretty sure the black contractor/yard style bags are just plastic. I've stored meat in them for short periods of times and to use as a barrier to keep off wet ice with no bad results.

CiK- Also look up Big Fin/Randy's youtube video on gutless processing. If you have to pack it on your back it'll reduce how much weight you have to pack. Hoosier gun season opens on Saturday, feel free to try it on one you shoot here. Just be sure to check it in before cutting it into pieces. I use my phone and the CheckIN system. The DNR app has a link to it.

I am planning on it doing the gutless method here. I have been out for 10 sits during the "rut" with bow and have yet to see any rutting activity. Time to start polishing up the shotgun for Saturday.

I haven't been out yet. Only for the youth season. My BIL had 13 does in front of him for 3 hours on Saturday and not one buck cruising... Weird.

Back