Game Bags.. When do you use them?

CB1

Growing up in the Midwest we never used game bags. Typically we were close enough to be able to drag the deer to an area we can get a truck. This year in Texas I won’t have that luxury based on terrain. I’ll have to hike about a mile and plan to carry it in a pack. I know this isn’t too far so not sure if game bags are worth it or needed. I definitely won’t be dragging a deer or pig through the rocks, cacti and mesquite so it will be on my back.

All that to say.. What is the criteria you follow when deciding to use or not use game bags? Is it an essential item when you can’t drive a truck to the downed animal?

I stopped trying to drag deer a couple years back unless I'm hunting the lease I'm part of (where there's usually help or a 4 wheeler). I always put the meat in bags. They don't weigh anything and there's really no down side.

I always put the meat in game backs when I have to quarter, always. If I can keep a carcass whole, I have full size game bags for it to keep flies and insects off the carcass and I remove the skin before.

every time i've killed something. even a white tail buck on private land about a half mile from the truck in wyoming. never too close to the truck to ensure clean meat

I was going to say that I always use them, but there are some times where I can drive right up to an animal and then I will quarter it up and put it right into a cooler without using game bags.

If you quarter something you’ll probably want to put it in some sort of bag to pack back to the truck. If you’ll only do it a couple times and not to far from the truck you can use a garbage bag. Yes, I know it doesn’t breathe and it will hold heat.

Myself and many others have and still use garbage bags and haven’t had any bad meat. With that being said I still prefer a game bag. Don’t have to worry about it tearing From bones or degrading while in your pack. Also I like the peace of mind that if something happens I can put it in a game bag and worry less about spoiling. Killed 2 pigs while scouting in early Sept last year. Cut, quarter, and left in a shady spot while I finished my walk in the woods to get my camera. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that with garbage bag when it’s that hot

Reactions: CB1
I should add, even if you leave the hide on use game bags. It keeps dirt and insects off. I always carry about twice the game bags than I think I will need. I personally discourage use of plastic bags and would use them only in an emergency to keep the game meat clean but if you do, put ice over them.

I live and mostly hunt in Texas. Where I hunt you are on foot, would hate to try to drive in there. I feel you will likely have to quarter the game anyway, so I use them all the time. Sure makes the butchering better when you get ready and helps keep my pack cleaner.

I’m in Texas and shot two hogs on public land this spring, about two weeks apart. The first I gutted and dragged the mile or so back to my Jeep. It took 3+ hours and damn near killed me (I’m 52 and in reasonably good shape). I immediately decided eff dragging and invested in a 65 liter frame pack and some game bags. When I shot the second hog I quartered it on the spot and walked it out on my back in 30 minutes.

Plain trash bags might be OK, but you might as well get real game bags for the reasons listed above.

Reactions: CB1
Whenever I quarter an animal in the field, it goes in game bags.

At home, I leave the bare quarters hanging in my garage when temps allow it.

Thank you all for the replies so far. Sounds like they are cheap insurance worth investing in.

Thank you all for the replies so far. Sounds like they are cheap insurance worth investing in.

Not all game bags are are worth it. Buy a good set you can use over and over. The cheaper ones stick to the meat and don’t keep off anything. Caribou are good and I’m on my 4th use. They look almost as good as the day I bought them. I expect them to last for quite a while longer.

Also, Don’t buy bone out bags and try to stick a bone in quarter, it won’t fit. Maybe a cow will but not a bull. But if you buy a bone in size you can always bone it out without worry.

Not all game bags are are worth it. Buy a good set you can use over and over. The cheaper ones stick to the meat and don’t keep off anything. Caribou are good and I’m on my 4th use. They look almost as good as the day I bought them. I expect them to last for quite a while longer.

Also, Don’t buy bone out bags and try to stick a bone in quarter, it won’t fit. Maybe a cow will but not a bull. But if you buy a bone in size you can always bone it out without worry.
Just a suggestion, done debone until you have to. The muscles go through a rigor phase within the first 1-2 hours that lasts about 12 hours. Wait to next day to debone if you can get away with it. If you debone too soon, the muscles are going to want to contract and that makes them tougher and on the grissly side. Get the durable washable ones, you'll never regret it. I now have enough to quarter 4 bull elk if I had to and probably going to buy more in case the ones I have wear out.

Back