FWP Urges Shed Hunters to wait until Spring

Schaaf

Winter can be a tough time for us humans, whether struggling with a pesky cold or digging out from the latest snowstorm. Now imagine what it’s like for Montana’s elk population. It’s an especially stressful time for elk, with deep snow and limited food options. That’s why Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks is asking shed hunters and other recreationists to give elk their space until the snow melts and the animals are less stressed.

Shed hunting has become increasingly popular in recent years and more competitive. In some cases, that has led individuals to try to get a head start by running elk through trees to break off antlers or to trespass on Montana’s Wildlife Management Areas where elk find sanctuary this time of year (most do not open until noon on May 15). Both are illegal.
Snowmobilers, skiers, and snowshoers should avoid areas where elk are bedded down. It is safest to admire them at a distance.

Finally, many elk often come down to lowlands and might be found near homes. It’s critical that dogs be kept on a leash when elk are present. Dogs can cause serious injury or kill animals much larger than themselves. The stress of a chase alone can eventually lead to the death of the animal. And of course, pets can be injured or killed while attempting to take down an animal big or small. Dog owners might be cited for permitting a dog to harass wildlife.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/recreation/nr_0375.html

Good luck to all those shoulder season hunters that still have tags in those units closing today!

I should add, I completely agree that shed hunters need to give them space. I just find it hypocritical to be releasing this 5 days before many shoulder season units are even closed.

Shed hunting seems to cause more problems each year, although that could be the social media effect.

Last edited:
It's crazy how nuts people have gotten about shed hunting.

I wonder how many shoulder season hunters got twofers this year - one elk, one fetus.

Twenty five years ago shed hunting was also very popular. The price/lb was nice. Lotsa folks were out doing it. I don't think people have gotten more crazy for this activity. Simple population growth, in SW MT just for instance, has just led to more out there doing it.
Just a perspective difference. Not a disagreement with the Original post......

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that could share some interesting stories about partaking in this activity with other nefarious individuals near and around a certain American iconic national park back in the day (for me that "day" would be the 80's and early nineties):rolleyes:........

Last edited:
I wonder how many shoulder season hunters got twofers this year - one elk, one fetus.

Never understood this argument, unless you only support hunting cows before the rut in the fall. Can you explain why killing a pregnant cow in October is better than killing one in January?

FWP promotes shoulder hunts during this time but discourages shed hunting??
Ummm....
The WMA's should open April 15. Absolutely no reason to keep those closed till mid May.

Never understood this argument, unless you only support hunting cows before the rut in the fall. Can you explain why killing a pregnant cow in October is better than killing one in January?

Its sperm and egg vs an actual fetus you get to bone out with your cow. Not to mention they have a chance to flee to higher ground in October.

Shoulder season is wrong.

You really see no difference?

Not really a serious argument on my part but I do think a pregnant cow in October is a different scenario than one in February.

When (if) I have killed a pregnant cow in November the fetus isn't really something that measures more than an ounce or two(I would guess because it wasn't obvious) and I would also think that development at that point would not be that taxing on the mother. I would assume that what will be a 35 pound calf in May is probably discernable as a baby elk in February when you cut her open and weighs many pounds, though I'm certainly no expert. From the non-hunter's perspective especially, I could see this as a bad look for hunting.

I think of it as analogous to my wife when I knocked her up. A month after it happened neither you nor she would've known the difference. But two-thirds of the way through, with a baby kicking and a big belly it is a different story all together.

Its sperm and egg vs an actual fetus you get to bone out with your cow. Not to mention they have a chance to flee to higher ground in October.

Shoulder season is wrong.

You really see no difference?

I'm not saying I don't see a difference in killing elk in January vs. October. But speaking from a strictly biological standpoint of killing "twofers this year - one elk, one fetus," I see no difference between killing a fetus in October (after the cow has been bred in September) vs. killing a fetus in January. I view the fetus-killing argument as an emotional red herring. There are plenty of good biological reasons to argue against hunting elk in January. If you see a good reason why killing a fetus in October is better than killing one in January, strictly biologically, please share, because I could be missing something obvious.

No pictures necessary from Greenhorn....

Two dead elk is two dead elk.

I don't see the reason to hold off on shed hunting if it's in an area where elk are over objective. Not everyone still has a valid tag for the shoulder seasons. If you can't shoot one in Feb. you may as well run it around to help with the starvation process. Coyotes need to eat too.

Thanks for the explanation, NR. I was typing while you were posting. It does seem more like an emotional issue vs. a biological one, the way you explained it. Perhaps the only biological argument I could make is that the cow killed in January has used limited resources available for elk to survive the winter, that could have otherwise been used by a cow that will live to parturition. Who knows...carry on. Sorry to sidetrack the conversation.

I should add, I completely agree that shed hunters need to give them space. I just find it hypocritical to be releasing this 5 days before many shoulder season units are even closed.

Shed hunting seems to cause more problems each year, although that could be the social media effect.
Too be fair, the shoulder hunts are on private land, partially to encourage elk to stay on public lands such as WMAs.

Thanks for the explanation, NR. I was typing while you were posting. It does seem more like an emotional issue vs. a biological one, the way you explained it. Perhaps the only biological argument I could make is that the cow killed in January has used limited resources available for elk to survive the winter, that could have otherwise been used by a cow that will live to parturition. Who knows...carry on. Sorry to sidetrack the conversation.

Yes, I think you are right that it is more an emotional issue than anything else.

To the OP, because I grew up in and live across the creek from the Elkhorn Mountains, I have seen some nutty stuff when it comes to shed hunting. Some guys set up their camps in March and don't leave till June. Also, I have seen people out in their planes, buzzing low looking for bulls that have dropped or will drop soon. People get so excited and want to be the first ones to walk certain slopes that even in the next week or two I bet people will start the mad rush.

Too be fair, the shoulder hunts are on private land, partially to encourage elk to stay on public lands such as WMAs.

Shoulder hunts were being conducted on BLM land in many of the units that close today, no?

Yes, I think you are right that it is more an emotional issue than anything else.

To the OP, because I grew up in and live across the creek from the Elkhorn Mountains, I have seen some nutty stuff when it comes to shed hunting. Some guys set up their camps in March and don't leave till June. Also, I have seen people out in their planes, buzzing low looking for bulls that have dropped or will drop soon. People get so excited and want to be the first ones to walk certain slopes that even in the next week or two I bet people will start the mad rush.

The elkhorns have gotten out of control. Last year I was spotting on Feb. 28th and seen 6 people already out hiking. It's not even worth the hassle anymore over there. Oh, and none of them believe they are causing stress to the animals by pushing them around.

Well I'm glad the concern is only on elk and not on deer. I get the whole don't pressure them as yes they are in a crucial time of year but they deer are not also in a crucial time of year?

Well I'm glad the concern is only on elk and not on deer. I get the whole don't pressure them as yes they are in a crucial time of year but they deer are not also in a crucial time of year?

I don't think anyone is arguing that the deer are not affected. That was one of my biggest complaints with their short "pilot season". We really had no clue how the other animals would be affected by the 6 month long hunt of elk in over objective areas.

Rob, I have never seen anything about the BLM closing for shed hunting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back