Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

FWP Proposes Expanding Wolf Hunting Opportunities in Northwest Montana

My basic thoughts... as an average joe hunter.

Biologically, we have the wolf population to sustain additional harvest opportunity and wanted to be responsive to public input and participation,” FWP Regional Wildlife Manager Neil Anderson said.

The 10 tags seem more a "feel good" motion for the majority of opportunistic wolf hunters rather than substance though... I believe it holds value for those dedicated towards trapping / hunting wolves. There are several I've gleaned info from that could easily make the most of 10 tags and for those that are able to make an impact... a good move considering the population in R1. *If I had my way with tags, I would keep it @ 5 for the opportunistic wolf hunter and open it to unlimited (5 tags w/ a harvest 1,2,3,4,5 - gain another 1,2,3,4,5 tag(s)) for those who apply as more professional / defined wolf hunters (separate tag type).
Season extension? Meh, longer the better.
I like Idaho's intent to identify #'s beyond assuring the minimal count is met. We want to know as best possible actual #'s to effectively manage a population in conjunction with the elk, moose, deer, etc. Have actual quotas based on the best estimate of #'s. Season ends early if quota met.
  • Extend the general hunting season to begin Aug. 15 and end March 31. Currently, archery season begins Sept. 1, general season begins Sept. 15 and ends March 15.
  • Extend trapping season to March 15. Currently, the trapping season ends Feb. 28.
  • Increase the individual limit to 10 wolves per person. Currently, the limit is five per person.

I like the idea and support this. My only concern, albeit marginal, is having guys rifle hunting for wolves that early, during a time at which none of the animals (especially the elk) have been pressured by anything other than scouting. Am I interpreting that correctly, by the 'genera' season starting on Aug 15?

Where do we go when this doesn't reduce wolf numbers and elk numbers don't rebound?

Where do we go when this doesn't reduce wolf numbers and elk numbers don't rebound?

I think this is a fair question. Current hunting and trapping is making an impact on the populations, but overall continue to increase. Current number of both elk and wolves might just be the new normal we live with.

One piece of Montana's conservation effort. Didn't realize this one FWP action must be all inclusive of the ungulate population management plans, land use, etc...

On a real note without the rhetorical play -
New norm should be to get a better grip on wolf numbers and work from there.

There is absolutely no indications that the new season proposals will decrease wolves or increase elk. That said, I have no problem with the proposal.

N Idaho has had even more aggressive wolf season and looking for more with not much population reduction results.

R1 won't shoot and trap their way out of this regardless if the bio's know down to the last wolf what the population is. Afraid its the new norm.

I think this is a fair question. Current hunting and trapping is making an impact on the populations, but overall continue to increase. Current number of both elk and wolves might just be the new normal we live with.

Hi,

Id' like to introduce you to my friend, Habitat.

I certainly have no problem with the proposal. One thing to consider though is that by extending the season into March, the likelihood of interactions with grizzlies grows. My understanding from R1 was that they felt that the confict would get measurably larger if we went past March 15th.

We've lowered the cost of wolf tags, proposed extending the seasons, liberalized harvest and it will still be the same voices crying for the government to go kill critters, because doing it yourself is too hard.

R1 won't shoot their way out of this.

They won't, but I see zero issue with making seasons and tags very, very liberal.

I would love to have wolf season overlap with spring bear like Idaho, for entirely selfish reasons. I also wish this included the parts of region 2 that have a surplus of wolves.

Last edited:
That's what the season is on coyotes, and they're doing just fine.
Yeah but see coyotes are not fuzzy and they haven't caught the favor of the liberal left who like the idea of the wolf mommy and daddy and family.

Yeah but see coyotes weren't almost entirely killed off by poorly thought out schemes that involved poison & bounties thus leading to their listing under the Endangered Species Act in order to restore native wildlife to their historic range.

FIFY

Coyote hunting has been so effective at curtailing that population that we now have more coyotes than ever.

Canis Latrans laughs at our attempts to regulate their numbers.

FIFY

Coyote hunting has been so effective at curtailing that population that we now have more coyotes than ever.

Canis Latrans laughs at our attempts to regulate their numbers.
?? So presently what would your concern be with hunting wolves 24/7/365

?? So presently what would your concern be with hunting wolves 24/7/365

Because it means we'll see people killing pups, lactating females, and we don't give a game animal any respite from hunting pressure like we should with every other species. Because it breaks the faith on how we said we'd manage these animals after delisting, and it puts us back on a path for continued litigaton by anti-management groups who will claim that wolves deserve to be re-listed due to lack of adequate regulatory mechanisms in place to keep restored populations from being extirpated, and because the pelt of a spring or summer wolf isn't anything to be proud of. If you just want to kill wolves in order to kill wolves, go find a rancher that's having some impacts & volunteer to be his agent and shoot wolves that are actually causing problems.

I certainly have no problem with the proposal. One thing to consider though is that by extending the season into March, the likelihood of interactions with grizzlies grows. My understanding from R1 was that they felt that the confict would get measurably larger if we went past March 15th.

We've lowered the cost of wolf tags, proposed extending the seasons, liberalized harvest and it will still be the same voices crying for the government to go kill critters, because doing it yourself is too hard.

We have our Region 1/2 Toby's (Kill em all) and we have our Region 1/2 Jay's (Our wild lovable pups). ***Then... we have those that support wolves as part of our overall conservation model w/o shooting rainbows out their ass, furry love pups. The vast majority of the issues I hear for R1 is we don't have an actual concept of their #'s to begin modeling a reasonable conservation plan / Quota / understanding.

My understanding, when taking the trapping course for wolves, the griz pads are too large for the common wolf trap however the black pads have the potential of getting caught. Would like to see snares used as Idaho has w/o the big issue feared in MT for hunt dogs getting noosed.

Because it means we'll see people killing pups, lactating females, and we don't give a game animal any respite from hunting pressure like we should with every other species. Because it breaks the faith on how we said we'd manage these animals after delisting, and it puts us back on a path for continued litigaton by anti-management groups who will claim that wolves deserve to be re-listed due to lack of adequate regulatory mechanisms in place to keep restored populations from being extirpated, and because the pelt of a spring or summer wolf isn't anything to be proud of. If you just want to kill wolves in order to kill wolves, go find a rancher that's having some impacts & volunteer to be his agent and shoot wolves that are actually causing problems.
But why no mention of people killing lactating coyote females or coyote pups >>>just wolves? Why so much worry about wolves? I wanna manage wolves like we manage coyotes.

But why no mention of people killing lactating coyote females or coyote pups >>>just wolves? Why so much worry about wolves? I wanna manage wolves like we manage coyotes.

Drastically different physiology and drastically different public sentiment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back