Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

FWP Proposed Changes - 2021 Season Setting

In terms of unit consolidation. They already have an example of this don't they? The 900 tag for elk cover several units and ton of Montana's surface area. Yet, I'm fairly certain a vast majority of those tag holders hunt Custer. Has that yielded the desired effect for that tag and those units under the 900 designation?

I commonly hear complaints about the MT tag system being confusing and complicated. While it's never afflicted me, I do understand how people could think that and be frustrated by it.
But what is the answer when hunters by the droves call in because they are confused by the difference between permits and licenses?

In terms of unit consolidation. They already have an example of this don't they? The 900 tag for elk cover several units and ton of Montana's surface area. Yet, I'm fairly certain a vast majority of those tag holders hunt Custer. Has that yielded the desired effect for that tag and those units under the 900 designation?
That took away a special little archery unit I used to hunt with family. It's a low tag unit, with low numbers of elk, but we knew right where they hung out. I resent that 900 tag because it got harder to draw.

But what is the answer when hunters by the droves call in because they are confused by the difference between permits and licenses?
From a social aspect I would assume the answer is to go to a pref point only or a bonus point only. Each unit is general or special you apply for one or the other. No drawing a general tag and then not drawing a special permit. You either get the tag you want in the unit you want, or you dont.

From a biological standpoint, I'm not sure if that is good or bad for elk in MT. I would defer to a biologist. However, I would imagine if the population objectives and management plans within each unit are done correctly, that system could be just as good. Afterall, basically every other western state does their tags in a similar fashion to what I just described.

That took away a special little archery unit I used to hunt with family. It's a low tag unit, with low numbers of elk, but we knew right where they hung out. I resent that 900 tag because it got harder to draw.
That kind of confirms my suspicions, albeit anecdotal. Personally, I think if you want to hunt custer than it should be a 704 or 703 (whatever 7xx unit its in) tag. Thats simplified and allows for specific management to that unit.

From a social aspect I would assume the answer is to go to a pref point only or a bonus point only. Each unit is general or special you apply for one or the other. No drawing a general tag and then not drawing a special permit. You either get the tag you want in the unit you want, or you dont.

From a biological standpoint, I'm not sure if that is good or bad for elk in MT. I would defer to a biologist. However, I would imagine if the population objectives and management plans within each unit are done correctly, that system could be just as good. Afterall, basically every other western state does their tags in a similar fashion to what I just described.
I could totally get behind this system in MT. I like how CO is structured. It's easy to understand, and you know your necessary points to draw most years and in most units.

If you timed it right, you might have a couple days to get a world class bull on a general tag before every elk with antlers is wiped out of the Elkhorns/Breaks.
Can you imagine what the breaks would look like the first year if it goes general. Guy might head to the little belts or somewhere else and have it to himself with the entire state swarming the breaks.

I meant there are a lot of hunters out there that could not figure out the difference between permits and licenses, how do you simplify regs enough for those types?

I meant there are a lot of hunters out there that could not figure out the difference between permits and licenses, how do you simplify regs enough for those types?
If you are not smart enough to figure out the regs go to a different state. Problem solved.

I get it and you're right it's kinda silly. But, the truth is it's a common source of confusion. Why not fix what's easy to fix?

Back