Future of 401ks

I never said it was a retirement plan and I don't need shitty govt insurance..You could put what's been withheld from checks for last 30yrs in a simple savings account and I would be better off. I can garuantee if you have worked for a living you won't get out of SS what you have already put in. It's a pyramid scheme ran by the government only fools believe it's a retirement plan.

Social security would not have a funding problem, if on average, people got less than they put in.

Sadly for the working poor, it is their only retirement plan. Not a very good one, but without it, the bottom third of income earners would end up too old to work, and too broke not to.

I never said it was a retirement plan and I don't need shitty govt insurance..You could put what's been withheld from checks for last 30yrs in a simple savings account and I would be better off. I can garuantee if you have worked for a living you won't get out of SS what you have already put in. It's a pyramid scheme ran by the government only fools believe it's a retirement plan.
What’s funny is most people don’t realize that the majority of the national debt is just intergovernmental debt, that’s essentially just “borrowing” money from SS so that it gets paid back with interest and thus is “invested”.

If we didn’t build F-35s and roads, SS would literally just be principle that shrunk due to inflation.

What’s funny is most people don’t realize that the majority of the national debt is just intergovernmental debt, that’s essentially just “borrowing” money from SS so that it gets paid back with interest and thus is “invested”.

If we didn’t build F-35s and roads, SS would literally just be principle that shrunk due to inflation.
I am well aware...they also wouldnt be able to hold it over Americans head every election cycle if you could opt out. I also think election day should be 4-16.
Most folks don't realize that SS is only withheld on 186k in '24...any income generated above that amount is not subject to SS tax.

Well another issue is the people that know how to work the system and go out on disability. They then work cash jobs. I have also meet a few government workers that went out on disability and then get jobs in the private sector doing the same job. Not saying some to most don’t deserve it, but I am tired of seeing my taxes increasing to pay for scammers that no one seems to care about.

I am well aware...they also wouldnt be able to hold it over Americans head every election cycle if you could opt out. I also think election day should be 4-16.
Most folks don't realize that SS is only withheld on 186k in '24...any income generated above that amount is not subject to SS tax.

If people could opt out of anything they do not like about government, it would crumble pretty quickly. Going back to 2000, every national election has been pretty close. So if the losing half could opt out, it would get ugly fast.

I think most people know that some income is not subject to SS taxes. Most don't know the exact number, because it does not apply directly to them.

We have a serious overspending problem in our government. Thats what's really happening. Fire half of the federal workers. That should help. I can think of a few that I would start with.
Major overspending. Not sure what the fix is, but I could rattle off a handful of things that should go away. But that'd just upset a select group of people here.
I know the answer to the problem is not increasing taxes.
How much does a normal US citizen pay in taxes a year? Is it 40% of income? Between property tax, income tax, sales tax, etc, etc. It's out of hand...

Didn't the US become the US by fighting Great Britain and separating? Didn't unfair taxes play a role in part of the reasoning? Just wondering.

Major overspending. Not sure what the fix is, but I could rattle off a handful of things that should go away. But that'd just upset a select group of people here.
I know the answer to the problem is not increasing taxes.
How much does a normal US citizen pay in taxes a year? Is it 40% of income? Between property tax, income tax, sales tax, etc, etc. It's out of hand...

Didn't the US become the US by fighting Great Britain and separating? Didn't unfair taxes play a role in part of the reasoning? Just wondering.
Every level of government has to get their cut

Social security would not have a funding problem, if on average, people got less than they put in.

Sadly for the working poor, it is their only retirement plan. Not a very good one, but without it, the bottom third of income earners would end up too old to work, and too broke not to.
I don't want to make this about SS, because that is a separate issue with a lot of bad takes from the general public. Some are correct, but need context. Calling it a pyramid scheme is somewhat true. SS was created with the assumption that the workforce paying into the system would always be large enough and growing (both in number of workers and income) to more than compensate for what was being paid out. That is great assumption when the workforce to retiree ratio is 10:1, but it is now 3:1 and moving toward 2:1. Second problem is people are living a lot longer than we ever expected. Third problem is real rates have decreased for 40 years (minus the last 12 months or so) and what SS earned was less than expected. It's a fixable problem, but people like to complain about the money, paying too much and getting too little, so it won't get fixed willingly.

The rule of thumb I heard, if a person averaged a salary under $100k, they will get more than they put in, a salary of more than $100k they will get less, on average. Obviously, longevity has a lot to do with how much an individual gets.

A stupid Bloomberg opinion piece sure got all you guys lathered up....

More brilliant opinion.

A stupid Bloomberg opinion piece sure got all you guys lathered up....

More brilliant opinion.
Yes, she seems to be long on opinions and short on common sense in an effort to gain exposure.

It won’t matter in the least, when the deal is done and the lobbyist write the codes and laws we can be sure of a few things.
1) The financial industry will ensure it gets its pound of flesh, and have loopholes to avoid #2
2) The government take a cut
3 ) Joe American won’t care
I think the financial industry will be against this. The entire system has been set up to give workers low cost exposure to markets. Costs have been reduced dramatically over the last 50yrs. The stock market could still be primarily for the wealthy without the creation of the mutual fund and the tax changes implemented in 1978.
Joe American better start caring.

From the ICI
401(k) plans hold $6.9 trillion in assets as of September 30, 2023, in more than 710,000 plans, on behalf of about 70 million active participants and millions of former employees and retirees. Savings rolled over from 401(k)s and other employer-sponsored retirement plans also account for about half of the $12.6 trillion held in individual retirement account (IRA) assets as of September 30, 2023.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back