Frustrated in Idaho

wiggysIROC

I don't know whether I suck at this Elk thing or I just have incredibly bad luck. My legs are killing me and I still have today and tomorrow to hunt (though I haven't ween anything yet anyway). Anyway, I am already making preparations for next year. I want to try Colorado, Wyoming, and/or Montana. I want to do two states if I can afford it. According to the info I have gathered from Colorado and Wyoming, I can get a Bull license in Colorado for 470.25 and a Cow license in Wyoming for 160. I haven't been able to find info for Montana. What else is gonna cost me what in these states? I am gonna start saving now. I will be driving to wherever I go. I know that none of you know me, but, is there any of you in these states that could let me be a hunting buddy or just point me in the right direction? I am not looking for a hand out, but just some guidance and good friendship.

Mark

wiggy,

Why go out of state? Idaho allows you to get a second elk tag at non-res prices. One bull, let alone two will fill anyone's freezer.

Don't get discouraged. Unit 39 is a great unit for quality bulls if you get away from the roads. Just keep at it, use less leg work and more glassing. Good luck.

T Bone

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T Bone:
wiggy,

Why go out of state? Idaho allows you to get a second elk tag at non-res prices. One bull, let alone two will fill anyone's freezer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess since I am frustrated that I can't even find any, it would be completely hopeless for me to find two.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Don't get discouraged. Unit 39 is a great unit for quality bulls if you get away from the roads. Just keep at it, use less leg work and more glassing. Good luck.

T Bone
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good tip! I will let you know how I do tonight and tomorrow.

Mark

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-08-2002 09:49: Message edited by: wiggysIROC ]</font>

Coming from a guy that hikes ALOT, that's a funny comment T-bone :D :D

I think that T-bone meant you still have to do some leg work.. you need to hike back into the hills off the roads then glass. We do that alot too !! I know that there are alot of critters in 39. BUt has alot of pressure too !!! so don't expect to do more "GLASSING" from roads to see them ?!?!?

Didn't know exactly what you meant T-bone so if I was of track, OOPS

At any rate , GOOD luck to ya !!! Hunting is like "SALES", it's the persistant people that are successfull, Something to keep in mind. ALL these guys Stacking up elk have put their time in the hills !!! Some of them MANY MANY years before scoreing.. Don't get discuraged !!! El khunting isn't a wussy mans sport :cool:

I'll agree, this is not a sport for the faint of heart. LOTS of work! I do definately get away from the roads. TOO many ATV's for me. I even found one dude about 1 mile in, training his bird dog with his 12 gauge. That was frustrating. I have been high and low and places in between. I am going to go north of Prairie this evening and tomorrow and see what I can find. If the antlers are 6" that thing is going down!

Mark

Yes that is what I meant to say. It defineatly takes leg work to get to where the elk are. A common mistake I make is that I am on the move when the elk are active. I end up pushing them.

A smart hunter glasses while they are active. Then again, this time of year, they feed on and off all day long. The more time you spend on the hill the luckier you get.

Also try eating two tins of sardines in oil before going. I can't explain the correlation, but there is a strong relationship between greasy sardines and bull gut piles.

A smart hunter glasses while they are active. Then again, this time of year, they feed on and off all day long. The more time you spend on the hill the luckier you get.

Also try eating two tins of sardines in oil before going. I can't explain the correlation, but there is a strong relationship between greasy sardines and bull gut piles.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two things: When are they on the move? And I take it you have experience with the sardine thing? Do I want you to go deeper in detail? I will eat 4 tins if I have to!

Mark

Elk hunting can be frustrating. I have been within 80 yards of them this year and didn't get a shot off. :( :( If you are going above the Praire you should find elk but there are elk even closer than that.

Good luck.

Its goofy this time of year with the crazy weather. It seems that if its snowing or raining they are active. If its really windy they shelter up. If it clears off, they resort to the more traditional activity, with intermitent feeding during the day.

On the sardines, start with two tins. If unsuccessful, do four.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steamer:
Elk hunting can be frustrating. I have been within 80 yards of them this year and didn't get a shot off. :( :( If you are going above the Praire you should find elk but there are elk even closer than that.

Good luck.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much closer? Where? If you don't mind giving that info. THANKS!

Mark

Its goofy this time of year with the crazy weather. It seems that if its snowing or raining they are active. If its really windy they shelter up. If it clears off, they resort to the more traditional activity, with intermitent feeding during the day.

On the sardines, start with two tins. If unsuccessful, do four.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will go ahead and choke down two tins but buy two more just in case.

Mark

I bet it only takes 2 tine of sardines to
get SOMETHING on the the ground.
4 tins and it may be your gut pile ;)

Everyone I have talked to says
A) hike deep
B) glass LOTS
C) stalk when the wind is right or not at all

Its my opinion that Being lucky usually happens to those who have prepared well.

This is all second hand as I have only one elk down.

Take the road to prairie. Before dropping into Cow Creek park your truck then walk the ridges to the east. The elk will be above the river. If you get one down the easiest way to get it out is to take it down hill and ford the river.

Wiggy, you have to be persistant. My worst year was 37 days straight of hunting, every day from opening day till I got one. It was a hard year for sure. No horse at the time and no ATV at the time. I felt like I covered have the Rocky Mountains. And on day #37 I saw my first elk. I was fortunite enough to have a job that I could hunt 7 days a week though. Just don't give up hope.

Elkhunter, thanks for giving your perspective. During the hunt that I got, there is only 9 days, and I will have hunted 8 of them. I can't imagine doing this on foot for 37 days straight. I don't know if it is my diabetes or not, but I take so long to recover from the climbing and stuff. My wife actually gets upset with me for not taking a day off, but I am far from a quitter. I do know my limitations though.

Steamer, unfortunately i saw no Elk in the area that you suggested. However, it was a successful hunt due to me finding the first elk poop of this season. I know that is foul, but at least it is something that has to do with an animal that I am looking for. I was told to try a bowl up past Rocky Bar. The boy that I take hunting works for this guy that said that 2 days ago he saw 5 bulls in this bowl, so I guess if the snow doesn't impede my progress up there (very likely, it will), I will try my luck there. I'll keep you posted.

Mark

Wiggy!!
You can't give in or become discouraged. Elk only live in about 5% of the ground that holds good elk habitat..That is a lot of ground. There is so many variables to elk hunting that it isn't even funny. If you try to learn every thing the hard way, by yourself as I have. You will find that you will make every mistake in the book and there are a lot of them. I mean really alot. But it is still worth the work out and frustration, when you are standing over that first elk...Good luck... :D

Back