Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

From a ranch, but HOLY CRAP!

The bull elk could possibly set a new world record in Safari Club International’s Record Book, which is considered the gold standard of encyclopedias of big-game animals.

What a ridiculous statement. (I see we picked up on the same thing @cedahm )

Also, their fb page has one 40" bigger from September, so maybe they're all "new world records" in SCI, which according to me, along with Buckmasters, are actually considered the participation trophies of encyclopedias of big-game animals.

Game farm elk are just that “farm” animals. It’s a science experiment to see what can be grown but that’s about it. It’s definitely not hunting and it definitely doesn’t matter what it scores other than as I said before for science. Plus that thing was still a raghorn. Just think how big it would have been next year😂

Not to take away from the guys hunt, but he said it's not like they just kick it in a field and you go shoot it. It's only a 10,000 acre ranch, in relation to a wild elks habitat that's really not that big. Maybe they didn't kick it out of a pen for him to tag it, but it wouldn't be relatable to an actual wild elk hunt. Tamed elk don't belong in the record books in my opinion.
From most of the elk farms I’ve been near the experience is probably based on what the client wants. If they want to shoot in in a big pen they’ll accommodate that, if they want it in a corral I bet they would do it, they’d probably let you shoot one in the back of a horse trailer if you so desire

“I think there are places out there that give this kind of hunt a bad name. Where they keep them in a pen and you basically go out and pick one, so they can kick it across the field and you shoot it,” he told Outdoor Life. “This place isn’t like that at all. They bring these elk in and then they turn them loose on 10,000 acres. My bull had been on that ranch for four years. He’s not a tame elk like everyone wants to think he is.

I thought it was funny that he dropped it off to be made into sausage. I bet that thing was already full on jerky. I'm never going to understand either shooting a food animal that appears geriatric, or hunting on a "game farm". And if I'm in a position to shoot something on a farm for my freezer, you can bet a couple of black angus steers would be on the ground.

What a ridiculous statement. (I see we picked up on the same thing @cedahm )

Also, their fb page has one 40" bigger from September, so maybe they're all "new world records" in SCI, which according to me, along with Buckmasters, are actually considered the participation trophies of encyclopedias of big-game animals.
I don’t understand how SCI still puts the animals in the same category as wild elk with all of the hybridization these ranches do. That alone keeps them from being a very credible book IMO.

I thought it was funny that he dropped it off to be made into sausage. I bet that thing was already full on jerky. I'm never going to understand either shooting a food animal that appears geriatric, or hunting on a "game farm". And if I'm in a position to shoot something on a farm for my freezer, you can bet a couple of black angus steers would be on the ground.
I wondered about that too. With all the calcium and other nutrients it was injected with or consumed to get massive growth, I wondered what it does to the meat.

I can’t imagine that it would taste the same as a normal elk. Maybe that is a good thing for Meateater to discuss with the meat Scientists.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back