Friday music

Leon Russell showing some respect...

Well done harley. I also liked your tactful and respectful "gender-bender" reference. I believe your right. He had a difficult time coming to grips with who he was.

Arizona in the 1950's did not understand or in some cases, "accepting" of race, homosexuality, and rock and roll. Even Elvis was frowned down upon, with his "gyrations" I remember Pumpsie Green ( Red Sox ) was unable to stay with his team in a hotel in Scottsdale. Little Richard was also a bit controversial for his love of Gospel music and religious beliefs and teachings. Interesting man, to say the least. But obviously I liked his music as I ask for one of his tunes to be posted earlier today. Judge not, lest you be judged. or the one I learned early in live. If you live in a glass house, dont throw stones . I could not throw sand, and dont.

thanks for the original post Dave and the follow up posts by Harley, Eklkduds and Dave

P.S. I was surprised and disappointed that only Elkduds likes Calypso music. Trust me if you ever get to Jamaica, and are relaxing on the beach with a rum drink in your hand and several attractive island women are dancing to the sounds of "calypso", you will suddenly have an entirely new appreciation for it (-: After several of their "island" drinks you might even be dancing to the music

Last edited:
Well done harley. I also liked your tactful and respectful "gender-bender" reference. I believe your right. He had a difficult time coming to grips with who he was.

Arizona in the 1950's did not understand or in some cases, "accepting" of race, homosexuality, and rock and roll. Even Elvis was frowned down upon, with his "gyrations" I remember Pumpsie Green ( Red Sox ) was unable to stay with his team in a hotel in Scottsdale. Little Richard was also a bit controversial for his love of Gospel music and religious beliefs and teachings. Interesting man, to say the least. But obviously I liked his music as I ask for one of his tunes to be posted earlier today. Judge not, lest you be judged. or the one I learned early in live. If you live in a glass house, dont throw stones . I could not throw sand, and dont.

thanks for the original post Dave and the follow up posts by Harley, Eklkduds and Dave

P.S. I was surprised and disappointed that only Elkduds likes Calypso music. Trust me if you ever get to Jamaica, and are relaxing on the beach with a rum drink in your hand and several attractive island women are dancing to the sounds of "calypso", you will suddenly have an entirely new appreciation for it (-: After several of their "island" drinks you might even be dancing to the music
Absolutely agree, Little Richard overcame strong societal headwinds to make his music and do his show, his way. Could there have been a Prince without him?

Many don't know they are calypso fans. The genre got a big turn in Beetlejuice, the film and Broadway musical:

Since I just bought the wife and I Brooks and Dunn tickets for Charlotte in September.
I'm sitting on 2 sets of concert tickets just hoping they still happen! Reba has been rescheduled to August here pretty local and the other is in September. In Chicago. Not going to hold much hope for Soldier Field having a concert...

I'm sitting on 2 sets of concert tickets just hoping they still happen! Reba has been rescheduled to August here pretty local and the other is in September. In Chicago. Not going to hold much hope for Soldier Field having a concert...
Hoping that works out for you. I feel like by September 11 which is when my tickets are that things will have leveled off here in N.C. They dropped the distinction between essential and non essential workers Friday at 5 pm and let everyone go back to work.

Since I just bought the wife and I Brooks and Dunn tickets for Charlotte in September.

Kix and Ronnie put on one hell of a show, hope you get to see it. Who is opening for them ?

Elkdudes: or, George Michael, Sir Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, David Bowie, the girl in Black Eyed Peas ( forgetting her name at the moment ). For those like April who were alive when they build the Ark, ---- Liberace

Sorry @Europe , this is the only Calypso music I like. ;)

I dont remember ever seeing John perform in Trinidad------ or Jamaica (-: But that works

Cheyenne, you probably never heard of the Andrews Sisters. They released a song titled Rum and Coca-cola that was "calypso " waaaay before you were even a twinkle in your fathers eyes. But you are right about Brooks and Dunn.

Geetar. They put on a great show. One of my favorite tunes is "Red Dirt Road " I wonder if Lady Antebellum will open for them ?

Who else can relate to being raised on a "Dirt Road" ?

Kix and Ronnie put on one hell of a show, hope you get to see it. Who is opening for them ?

Elkdudes: or, George Michael, Sir Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, David Bowie, the girl in Black Eyed Peas ( forgetting her name at the moment ). For those like April who were alive when they build the Ark, ---- Liberace
Jon Pardi is one of them. I think the other one is Tucker Beathard? A couple of newer guys.

Ran across this story....if you've been to Gruene Hall in San Marcus, you can even feel and see the words.

Little Richard
Gruene Hall, May 6

Visualize $300 -- 15 crisp $20 bills fresh from the ATM tucked neatly into your wallet. Now envision spending them on your share of the rent, a car payment, a new TV or DVD player. Or maybe you could break it down this way: two tickets to Little Richard, two T-shirts, half a dozen Lone Star longnecks for you and your date, and skinflint tips for the bartender. Who'd be willing to do that, you ask? A couple hundred well-heeled, 50-and-up white folks, that's who. R.J. Penniman entered in grand style, emerging from a Shamu-sized Lincoln Town Car limo flanked by several dapper, stony-faced security men, his alter ego "Little Richard" baring his teeth at the audience in a terrifying rictus grin, cameras flashing. Laying one finger to a piano key, he bellowed "Good Golly Miss Molly," and from that point on, he had the audience eating out of his finely manicured, 68-year-old hand. After admonishing the soundman to "turn up my piano like you do Jerry Lee," he plowed through one number after another -- "Jenny Jenny," "Blueberry Hill," "Tutti Frutti,"and "I'm Walkin'." When he invited ladies from the audience to dance onstage, there were four takers: two nondescript younger women, a blonde who appeared to be roughly 102 years old, and another blond woman who could've been in a Russ Meyer movie 30 years ago. The two younger women were obviously self-conscious, but the Russ Meyer gal danced hard enough for the rest of them. It would have been transcendent, had the foursome not been dancing to a cover of Bob Seger's abominable "Old Time Rock and Roll." Richard also pulled out a weird, swampy version of Hank Williams' "Lovesick Blues" and turned "Be Bop A Lula" into a deliberate blues drag that spoke of pure s-e-x. Continually tossing off bon mots like little perfumed hand grenades, Richard addressed one audience member with: "You gonna make me scream like a white woman!! White woman goes, 'Eeeeeeee!!!í' black woman goes, 'Woof!'" The set closer was a version of "Long Tall Sally" sped up nearly to a punk rock blitzkrieg, Richard pummeling that baby grand like it was his worst enemy, and like a flash the security squad hustled him out to the waiting limo. It was pure showbiz, a reminder of why Little Richard is still John Waters' favorite rocker, and if anyone in the audience felt shortchanged for their $79 admission and $50 T-shirts ("They're collector's items, I'm retiring -- they won't make any more. Shut up!") they didn't show it.

There was an old nightclub down the coast called the Golden Bear. Small place with great acts. Some of us kids got word Spirit was playing there. We loaded up in an old VW van and traveled down to Huntington Beach. We got in and a cool waitress got us a table about 10 yards from the stage. Even served us beer. This was when their 12 Dreams album was coming out. Memorable night in more ways than one. This song always takes me back to that night.

great story

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back