Freeze Dried Meals

Peak Refuel is my favorite so far.
Mtn House a couple of meals
Backpacker's pantry for a couple of meals

I usually mix and match for some variety, but try to mostly bring one's I'm excited about.

Personally the last thing I'm trying to do is eat healthy on a backpack hunt, so the more fat and calories the better. I realize this isn't the case for everyone. I'm usually do one DeHy a day and then bars, maybe some real food depending on the situation.

~Disclaimer for crossfit bros~
I'm currently typing this as I'm eating a giant bag of sour gummy worms, so no comments about the Peak sugar content.

I see none of you are givin' up ur honeyholes.

I've been on the peak train for a couple years. HC is good but spendy. GG is gross. All the cheaper backpacking off brands are gross. MC at least 6 a year, always the first meal of the trip, anymore and I think I'd die of too much sodium.

I've been on the peak train for a couple years. HC is good but spendy. GG is gross. All the cheaper backpacking off brands are gross. MC at least 6 a year, always the first meal of the trip, anymore and I think I'd die of too much sodium.
I wish I had a video of my buddy pulling a small trash bag filled with Beef Strog out of his pack and saying, "I had some extra from Denali, how much do you want."

My wife recently purchased a freeze dryer and has started experimenting with meals. She made some sort of burger mac substance for the boys one night. Looked like something the dogs hacked up. I wouldn't eat it fresh that night. She ran it through the freeze dryer. Happy to send your way.

Peak Refuel is my favorite so far.
Mtn House a couple of meals
Backpacker's pantry for a couple of meals

I usually mix and match for some variety, but try to mostly bring one's I'm excited about.

Personally the last thing I'm trying to do is eat healthy on a backpack hunt, so the more fat and calories the better. I realize this isn't the case for everyone.

~Disclaimer for crossfit bros~
I'm currently typing this as I'm eating a giant bag of sour gummy worms, so no comments about the Peak sugar content.
Pretty much exactly what I do, you just have to figure out which of each brand you like best, or more importantly, which ones you dont like. Some of the Backpacker's Pantry meals like Pad Thai with Chicken are really good and filling (one of the best freeze dried meals Ive had), but definitely heavier than than some of the Peak meals with the same calorie/protein content. Stay away from the 3 sister's stew from Backpacker's Pantry. I liked the pasta based Peak meals Ive tried. If youre looking for breakfasts too, MH biscuits and gravy is still a classic and a wonderful chsnge up from oatmeal one or two mornings when you need something extra. I have also enjoyed adding collected greens to my freeze dried meals like nettles and dandelion.

In addition, I use Meals2Go bars for lunch and Honey Stinger Stroopwaffles, Heather's Choice Packaroons, Bobo's bars, ProBars, and Duke's Sausages throughout the day. Everything else is my own trail mixes, oatmeal, and dried fruit from a bulk goods store.

Last edited:
Pretty much exactly what I do, you just have to figure out which of each brand you like best, or more importantly, which ones you dont like. Some of the Backpacker's Pantry meals like Pad Thai with Chicken are really good and filling (one of the best freeze dried meals Ive had), but definitely heavier than than some of the Peak meals with the same calorie/protein content. Stay away from the 3 sister's stew from Backpacker's Pantry. I liked the pasta based Peak meals Ive tried. If youre looking for breakfasts too, MH biscuits and gravy is still a classic and a wonderful chsnge up from oatmeal one or two mornings when you need something extra. I have also enjoyed adding collected greens to my freeze dried meals like nettles and dandelion.

In addition, I use Meals2Go bars for lunch and Honey Stinger Stroopwaffles, Heather's Choice Packaroons, Bobo's bars, ProBars, and Duke's Sausages throughout the day. Everything else is my own trail mixes, oatmeat, and dried fruit from a bulk goods store.
It sounds absolutely disgusting, and to be honest is 90% of the time taste terrible, but after high exertion plain gummy bears tossed in a bag with Gatorade powder are amazing.

I still use some peak occasionally, buy my go to now is to take leftovers from meals starting about a month before a trip and then I just rehydrate them like a peak or mountain house. They take little longer to rehydrate then a freeze dried, but I think they taste better and you can choose your favorite meals.

I thought the good-to-go curry and pad Thai were good, the rest are debatable, they are the only ones I've seen where 2 servings is a legitimate 2 servings for reasonably sized adults, the downside is they take forever to rehydrate... backpackers' pantry seems to be consistently decent, Peak is Ok...
for 1/10th the price Idahoan cheese and broccoli soup mix is palatable for at least a couple of meals per trip.

I thought the good-to-go curry and pad Thai were good, the rest are debatable, they are the only ones I've seen where 2 servings is a legitimate 2 servings for reasonably sized adults, the downside is they take forever to rehydrate... backpackers' pantry seems to be consistently decent, Peak is Ok...
for 1/10th the price Idahoan cheese and broccoli soup mix is palatable for at least a couple of meals per trip.
take ur spuds next level with a single serving spam packet...

I wish I had a video of my buddy pulling a small trash bag filled with Beef Strog out of his pack and saying, "I had some extra from Denali, how much do you want."
This actually sounds really good.
As an early season archery bow hunter, I’ve been starting to analyze my hydration system for this season.
As recommended by neffa and I believe yourself in some of your earlier works, I plan on picking up some nuun tablets and perhaps some liquid iv 🤷‍♂️

Been a big fan of the peak meals lately- chicken curry being my current favorite.
Have picked them up directly, through blackovis, or other promos that pop up.

Also big fan of the Alpen Fuel granola- Carmel apple being my current favorite

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back