MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Freeze Dried Meals

I thought the good-to-go curry and pad Thai were good, the rest are debatable, they are the only ones I've seen where 2 servings is a legitimate 2 servings for reasonably sized adults, the downside is they take forever to rehydrate... backpackers' pantry seems to be consistently decent, Peak is Ok...
for 1/10th the price Idahoan cheese and broccoli soup mix is palatable for at least a couple of meals per trip.
never tried g2g, I'll run a few this summer as a taste test.

A few Peaks but mostly Mountain House. I bought several Gnomes but found them too spicy. Same with Heather's. Both repeat on my all night.

Ya gotta eat, right? That's my biggest problem out there. Getting back to camp an hour and a half after dark, then forcing myself to eat something that I wouldn't touch otherwise. I subsist on mostly the Breakfast Skillet and Spaghetti with an occasional rice dish of some kind.

23 days is my longest. I lost 18 lbs that hunt.

I forgot to mention RightRice. Its a plant based orzo that comes in different flavors. Just heat up water and let it sit for 12 mins. You have to add some sort of dehydrated meat or vegetables to make it a complete meal but they are really good and cost effective ($3 per bag), especially if you are creative with your supplementing.

A few Peaks but mostly Mountain House. I bought several Gnomes but found them too spicy. Same with Heather's. Both repeat on my all night.

Ya gotta eat, right? That's my biggest problem out there. Getting back to camp an hour and a half after dark, then forcing myself to eat something that I wouldn't touch otherwise. I subsist on mostly the Breakfast Skillet and Spaghetti with an occasional rice dish of some kind.

23 days is my longest. I lost 18 lbs that hunt.
See I don't have a problem with dinners, if we're going to get back late we eat them while we glass for the evening sit or before hiking out. I just don't eat breakfast and then lightly snack all day. I lose about 1/2-3/4 lb per day. This year I'm hoping it's closer to 1lb, the closer I get to 40 the more I don't piss beer away and it just sets up around my abs (I least I think I still have abs, the top one appears to be poking out).

I usually stick with rotation of MH Beef Strog, B&G, Southwest Skillet, and Spagetti. When I need some extra calories I dump half a package of Idaho Spuds in with it.

I like the Heather's Choice meals, especially the spicy peanut stew, and the salmon chowder, but they sure are proud of them. Seem like good folks, and good company so I support them how I can, but usually do it through purchase of the espresso packaroons. I can crush a box of those in a hurry.

Otherwise I do a lot of bars. MRE Bars (german chocolate cake), Munk Pack Cookies, Bobo Bars, homemade fruit roll-ups, and liquid IV are favorites.

I usually forgo dinner and eat my "big" meal in the early afternoon. Rest of the time I'm just shoving calories in my face when and where I can.

I’m not sure if they used to be better or if I just wasn’t as sick of them when I first tried them, but mountain house really seemed to go downhill 4-5 years ago.

Peak Refuel is my favorite so far.
Mtn House a couple of meals
Backpacker's pantry for a couple of meals

I usually mix and match for some variety, but try to mostly bring one's I'm excited about.

Personally the last thing I'm trying to do is eat healthy on a backpack hunt, so the more fat and calories the better. I realize this isn't the case for everyone. I'm usually do one DeHy a day and then bars, maybe some real food depending on the situation.

~Disclaimer for crossfit bros~
I'm currently typing this as I'm eating a giant bag of sour gummy worms, so no comments about the Peak sugar content.
Agreed. I like the Peaks meals. I really like Backpacker's Pantry breakfast meals. Not as large as Peak's. Plenty tasty. I like Peak because they ALL taste good and they use less water. You get a lot for the price as well compared to some others. Heather's also taste pretty good but I still like Peak better and for the value.

I recommend get a few that look good and trying them out now. That's what I did until I decided which ones I liked from the different brands. You can generally catch Peak meals on sale at various sellers if you keep an eye out. Sometimes all meals, sometimes a certain one or two.

This actually sounds really good.
As an early season archery bow hunter, I’ve been starting to analyze my hydration system for this season.
As recommended by neffa and I believe yourself in some of your earlier works, I plan on picking up some nuun tablets and perhaps some liquid iv 🤷‍♂️
Water & nuuners & everclear

#HardcoreCocktail

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back