Found?

spook12

With hunting seasons upon us, just wondering what are some of the strangest things you have either seen or found while spending time outdoors?

Around 10 years ago i found the remains of a weather observation balloon in northern Colorado. I packed the little box around for about a week and mailed it to the address on a small metal tag that was on it when i got home. A few months later i got a letter from the Natl weather service, stating it had been released in Washington state 8 years before. Wish i had kept the letter.

So lets hear it, anyone else find crazy stuff while stomping around out there?

This didnt happen to me per say but my cousin found his wallet that he had lost......During the previous years hunting trip. Thats lucky!

Two years ago while hiking up this creek drainage in Alaska my brother and I came across a baby sleeper pajamas :confused: We were about 5 hours in up this somewhat remote place and here in the creek bed we find some baby undies.

I found a $100 laying on the bottom of the lake under about 6 ft of water once while fishing.. However a local guy found a fuel cell from the russian space station while horn hunting last year, that's the weirdest I know of.

found an old weather ballon remains in N/E michigan national forest, sent it in to address on box, never heard anything :(

I spent some time in the U.K. back in the 80's. I was on the north coast near where their special forces had some training facilities,saw a small metal object on the ground.Immediately had visions of some relic from the second world war. When i picked it up,turns out its a Zippo lighter ,stamped on the bottom ''Pennsylvania''.

When out in the woods and fields I'm always on the lookout for arrowheads, but while traipsing along an old rutted wagon road cut into a hillside in Loudon County, VA, I spotted a small flat stone about 2" across with a depression in the center. I was pretty sure I knew what it was and confirmed it to myself after examining the stone. It was a palm stone used by Native Americans as a top bearing surface for a bow drill which was used for drilling holes and starting fires. The surface of the stone was rough, but the surface of the depression was as slick as glass. A real prize, as I've never seen another in any collection; private or museum.

Attachments

• Rock.JPG
    Rock.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 3,195
This same question was asked on another web site like this one a couple of years ago, and it became one of the most popular subjects and is probably still going.

I was in the MT. breaks a few years ago and I tucked into this small rock formation mainly to escape the blustering cold and snow/freezing rain. After sitting there overlooking a great big drainage I noticed a name chiseled into the rocks. I don't recall the exact name but do remember it was around 50 years old and the guy was a M.D. I could only think many many years ago he sat there and done the same thing I was doing at that time. Thought that was just kinda cool.....

I have come across many weather balloons here in Montana. I used to pack them all out and send them off in the mail, but I never got a single response back. I don't waste my time packing them out any more.

I have found many personal items over the years though; knives, a hiking stick, shooting sticks, a pair of binos, arrows all over the place, gloves and hats and even a couple of releases. Most of the stuff I check out and then lean against a tree or put on a rock as most of it has been in pretty bad shape due to the elements.

The coolest stuff I have found is on a friends ranch that has a large and ancient buffalo jump on it. Last year on the plateau above, we discovered an old tipi ring. After heavy rain storms, we search below the jump and find all kinds of treasures from buff teeth and bones to arrowheads. My kids have always enjoyed that.

Posted this before, but found a Buck folder stuck in a tree. Pulled it out and spring was broken. Sent to Buck totally redone, sharped, no charge, along with a price sheet that listed it's value at $110.00. They have had my business since then.

A few friends and relatives have lots of old Native American stuff. My favorite thing so far is a jacket a lost last November, which I found bear hunting this spring in an entirely different mountain range that I was sure it was in:confused:

That among some shovels, knives, gps and such

While we're on the topic, I hope to find my handheld Garmin I lost this spring. If anyone finds one in the Gallatin Range please notify...

While doing trail work in the NW corner of Yellow Stone we came across a cache of teepee poles. They were neatly tucked in underneath a massive fir tree. And I have found 3 or 4 bunches of congratulation balloons.

I found a lot of elk last year when i was deer hunting in Wyoming. It was strange because they said the wolves killed them all. All those people had them fancy side by side things, strange I tell ya.

Now i just need to draw an elk tag....

I never find anything really strange...usually some old car in the middle of the woods a mile from the nearest road, but I do give a lot of stuff out for people looking to find cool equipment. My dads gps, leatherman, rangefinder...all left in the woods out of the kindness of my heart so others can find them. Happy hunting!

Found a well worn and tarnished Rogers Brothers silver plated teaspoon poking out of the soil on a ridge top while elk hunting between Rifle and Buford, CO. There were absolutely no other signs of life around and it was an unlikely spot for anyone to have camped.

I don't recall the exact model but about 8 or 9 years ago I found a decked out Bear bow with a quiver full of arrows. It wasn't top of the line stuff but all upper end, sights, quiver, arrows. The really funny part was the mixture of 1, 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy, 1, 3 blade 125 grain Muzzy and 3 other broadheads that didn't match. 3 of the arrows had dirt balls on them, no blood!

Always wondered if the owner lost it or just left it out of frustration.

Out squirrel hunting in High School I came across an old (If I remember correctly) Nebisco Horse Drawn Wagon. Sorta looked like an old Medicine Wagon with the curved roof where the Driver sat. You could still make out the Painting on the sides. Whenever it rained on me while out hunting I would go sit in the storage area, the woods were clear cut years ago and I hope somebody took the time to get it out of there. John

A buddy of mine, while out hunting, once found a rifle leaning up against a tree. the stock was dried and cracked and the barrel was rusted bad. It makes you wonder...how do you walk away from your rifle? I guess i have walked away from walking sticks when i stopped for a break but your rifle....?

The coolest thing I've ever found in the woods would probably have to be the buff skull I found on the Gravelly range. Also found a university research rocket stuck in a river bottom while moose hunting In Alaska.

Back