Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Found: 1 Arrow

COEngineer

Describe the location and the arrow and how it came to be lying on the ground.

(Mostly joking, although it would be amazing if I was able to return the arrow to its rightful owner. I just want to hear all the stories of arrows that have been lost in the first week of archery season).

About 10 years ago I took a shot that I shouldn't have just before legal shooting light lapsed. I couldn't see a few branches between me and the elk, and my arrow must have it every one of them on the way to the bull. Spent hours looking for both my arrow and any sign of blood and couldn't find either. Came back the next morning and continued the search; still no arrow and no blood. Kept hunting and bumped what turned out to be the same bull I shot at the night before about half a mile away. He spooked before I could get another shot off, and I decided to follow his tracks and see if I could get in on him again. Found my arrow on the ground (dried blood on the front half, wet blood on the back half) a few yards down the trail. Was able to follow his tracks for about 100 yards and there was only a couple of drops of blood close to where I found the arrow. Figure I must have got him in the withers or someplace like that. Figured it was awfully nice of the bull to return my arrow after shooting him.

I always seem to find broadhead arrows along the trail that fall out of bow quivers while they are on packs.

I seem to find them on my property but not any of my arrows. In the spring there are some less than honest individuals that hunt "near" my home for turkeys. Thank god have not had a horse "find one " yet.

I always seem to find broadhead arrows along the trail that fall out of bow quivers while they are on packs.

I think that may be what I found, but it wasn't along a trail. One of the blades has just a slight nick in it, so it's possible that it was fired at an animal and just didn't hit anything solid.

last friday when I was hiking up a steep ridge to my camping spot, my grouse tip arrow fell out of my quiver and I didn't notice until I was about 300 ft. elevation higher, wasn't going back down for it. Will probably still be there all season, not many go up the hill there.

330 bloodlines, 2 black & 1 white 2" vanes, neon green nocks...... 😒

Not sure if it was lost in the first or last week of archery season... but the bull I killed last year had been carrying this one around for a while. 10 days absolute minimum.
Did the wound look infected? Was the bull acting normal? Sad to see that...I hit one high like that a few years ago (clean pass-through, though) - should have been a chip shot, but he was so close I thought for sure he saw me draw and I rushed it.

Did the wound look infected? Was the bull acting normal? Sad to see that...I hit one high like that a few years ago (clean pass-through, though) - should have been a chip shot, but he was so close I thought for sure he saw me draw and I rushed it.

It didn't look great. Honestly time between seeing him and the shot was probably 8 seconds... so no idea if he was acting normal or not. I didn't see the arrow until I walked up on him.

It didn't look great. Honestly time between seeing him and the shot was probably 8 seconds... so no idea if he was acting normal or not. I didn't see the arrow until I walked up on him.

Did you have to throw out a lot of meat? Taste ok?

Did you have to throw out a lot of meat? Taste ok?

Tiny bit of back-strap on one side the arrow was mostly in the skin. Honestly I think someone took a super Hail Mary on the elk at like 120 yards... cause I can't think of another scenario where some skin would be able to hold an arrow. It didn't really hit bone or meat at all. Must have been so far that the arrow had very little energy left... at least that's my thinking.

I guess the other option is a mechanical broadhead failed to open, and essentially it was like a field tip going in...

Tiny bit of back-strap on one side the arrow was mostly in the skin. Honestly I think someone took a super Hail Mary on the elk at like 120 yards... cause I can't think of another scenario where some skin would be able to hold an arrow. It didn't really hit bone or meat at all. Must have been so far that the arrow had very little energy left... at least that's my thinking.

I guess the other option is a mechanical broadhead failed to open, and essentially it was like a field tip going in...

Could have hit a branch(es) or something else that slowed it down significantly too. But yea, hail mary would be my first guess as well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back