Formal opposition to CO wolf reintroduction ramping up. Are you in?

elkduds

More Colorado Counties Saying NO to Forced Wolf Introduction
Grand Junction, CO - Today, Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition announced the latest Colorado county to pass a resolution against forced wolf introduction. Garfield County Commissioners voted unanimously yesterday to oppose forced wolf introduction in Colorado and joins the growing list of other counties that are already taking a stand against Initiative #107, even before it makes it on the 2020 ballot.
During testimony before the unanimous vote, Garfield County Commissioners noted that Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission already has a standing resolution against wolf introduction in our state.

Garfield County Commissioner Mike Samson said opposing artificial wolf introduction in Colorado was just common sense, “This is a no-brainer...it would be devastating for our moose, elk and deer populations of our state, not to mention domestic livestock...I am amazed that people want to do something like this because I don’t think it would be good for anyone in any way.”
You can read the resolution as well as the info STW provided by going here.

“We’re grateful for Garfield County’s leadership on this issue and we were happy to work with them in providing the information, grassroots support, and facts they needed to pass their strong No Wolf Introduction Resolution,” said Denny Behrens, Co-Chairman of Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition.

Stop the Wolf Coalition has been circulating an online citizen’s petition throughout Colorado, with thousands of Coloradans already signing, urging their local elected officials to publicly take a stand against forced wolf introduction in Colorado, just like Garfield County has done.

“We’ve seen the data and the reports from other states about the devastation and tragedy that comes when wolves are artificially introduced. That’s why the members of Stop the Wolf Coalition, from local individuals to national organizations, are working hard to make sure Colorado citizens, livestock, and our wildlife don’t become the next victims of this insane agenda,” concluded Denny Behrens.

For more information visit www.stopthewolf.org
——————

Copyright © 2019 Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email from Denny Behrens.

Our mailing address is:
Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition
PO Box 3120
Grand Junction, CO 81502-3120

Last edited:
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's opposition to the forced re-introduction says volumes.

Randy's podcast on the forced re-introduction says volumes.

Last edited:
Wolves will be in Colorado soon without reintroduction.
This push, like everything these groups do, is to raise money.
They don’t have to do a single thing and they will have their wolves and have them with a lot less animosity and controversy, but that isn’t lucrative.

I think the kind of rhetoric this group is using is going to do more harm than good.

Elk and deer numbers, cattle depredation; those are topics that are only going to find resonance with folks that are adamantly opposed to wolf reintroduction already. The challenge and goal should be to convince those on the fence that wolf reintroduction rather than natural migration is problematic. Urban voters don't care about livestock or elk, they likely think wolves deserve a place on the landscape and they probably operate under the assumption that hunters should just kill less deer and elk and that it's a necessary cost of business for ranchers, especially as the state is going to reimburse them for predator loss.

I've talked to a number of different people about this issue who are pro-wolf, at least pro-wolf in principle, and explaining the economics of elk hunting, funding of CPAW coupled with a discussion of TABOR, and the fact that if we don't fund the agency who is going to pursue wolf poaching, etc etc seemed to be the only effective argument.

In my experience people are able to understand the nuance of our situation if the details are explained to them, they have very little tolerance of the big bad wolf narrative.

If CPAW and RMEF are really serious about this topic they are going to work with CPR, Radio Lab, etc and produce a segment for public radio that gets into the nitty gritty and explains that this isn't a emotional stance based on some antiquated hatred of predators and rather the complex relationship predators have with the North American model and the funding structures of our management agencies.

Hoping to see some feedback here on the 'wolves will kill precious reintroduced moose' angle and video I linked. Ron Velarde in the video is politically a touchstone for rural/hunting/older/native residents. He swings a lot of weight, and if he influences those that influence others, that could change some minds. However he is unknown to many recent immigrants. I find resonance in the argument that east slope voters will potentially inflict wolves on west slope citizens who will get all the problems, a sort of good-neighbor stance. A lot of voters like myself have lived on both sides of the Great Divide, and bunches of Front Rangers recreate or work often on the West Slope. So there may be, should be empathy for the concerns of the west siders The pro-reintroduction folks are savvy @ social media, so opposition will have to master that to be successful. Sadly, more than ever the media is the message.

As noted above, engaging each other in real discussions about this issue is essential. I see the risk of this issue being Facebooked into passing, which is why I'm so peeved BHA won't use its campus level influence to oppose reintroduction. I wonder who would be a powerful social media spokesperson for the opposition?

NRDC Action Fund – Sam Gilchrist <[email protected]> Unsubscribe
10:03 AM (12 minutes ago)
to me

We have great news! Colorado's Secretary of State has approved the language for the ballot measure that would help bring gray wolves back to Colorado! But now our friends over at the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund need to collect more than 160,000 signatures in the next month from registered Colorado voters to ensure that this critical initiative ends up on the November 2020 ballot. And we can't do that without an army of volunteers ready to bring the gray wolf home to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!

No matter where you are located across the state, you can help! We only have one month left to secure the signatures needed — will you help us get there? Just sign up here to collect ballot petition signatures in your community and an organizer will be in touch with you shortly to provide more details on how to attend an in-person or virtual training and get started collecting petition signatures.

Reintroducing wolves into Colorado is crucial for the biodiversity of the region and will help reconnect the Western wolf population. Will you help us make this happen?

Help collect ballot petition signatures in your neighborhood — it's fun and will be tremendously impactful in helping save these majestic creatures!

Sincerely,

Sam Gilchrist
Read more about the importance of bringing gray wolves back to Colorado in my original email to you below.

NRDC Action Fund

Dear Mike,

Nearly 80 years ago, gray wolves went extinct in Colorado. But now, we might have a real chance to bring them back to the state.

Our friends at the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund — a coalition of wildlife biologists, Colorado landowners, and environmental organizations — are working to get a citizen initiative on the ballot to bring this iconic species back to the region. But we're going to need help from dedicated supporters like you to ensure that this initiative ends up on the 2020 ballot and that Colorado voters approve it.

Sign up with the Rocky Mountain Wolf Action Fund to learn more about how you can get involved to help bring wolves back to the snow-capped peaks and rim rock canyons of the Rocky Mountains!

Reintroducing wolves in Colorado is crucial to our entire ecosystem: it promotes biodiversity, strengthens deer and elk herds, improves our rivers and streams, and reconnects the wolf's historic range from the high Arctic to Mexico.

As President Trump and his anti-environment allies work overtime to roll back endangered species protections for gray wolves, it's critical that states like Colorado step up and fight to save these majestic creatures.

Please add your name in defense of wolves and help us bring wolves back to Colorado!

Let's hear it for the wolves — AWOOOO!

Sincerely,
2cXYugsH3S23AVgRDol_fJgOweBeQXL9FCyEZ3BuGh7SwaE9-nWf-FMvMetuje0Pjf46OFznk2gfu4gQqg7W1YP0rY_deg=s0-d-e1-ft
Sam

Sam Gilchrist
Western Campaigns Director, NRDC Action Fund
P.S. Want to take the next step to save wolves? Sign up here to collect ballot petition signatures in your community.

Photo: Jacob W. Frank/NPS

Last edited:
Can't wait to apply for a wolf tag once they are established....

They are here, they will increase in numbers. No "reintroduction" needed.

@elkduds No offense but I don't think Veladre was very effective in that video. "I think we should leave management to the professionals," is a poor argument on it's face. I agree that we should but you have to unpack that idea and your primary points can't focus on ranchers or hunters. If that's your argument you will lose.

Also moose are non-native and wolves are native... so even as someone who doesn't want wolves re-introduced I feel that argument is total BS.

Further you want to know what the argument was against introducing moose back in the 70's.... you guessed it they would impact ranchers and would compete with elk and deer which would be bad for sportsman.

I had a fairly long post written up about how all the intricacies and logic are ignored any time large predators are part of the conversation (in general, not specific to the HT crowd), but being frustrated and trying to type a week after PRK surgery I'll just say that it's like filling an empty room with 30 kindergarten students and placing a single toy in the middle.

@elkduds No offense but I don't think Veladre was very effective in that video. "I think we should leave management to the professionals," is a poor argument on it's face. I agree that we should but you have to unpack that idea and your primary points can't focus on ranchers or hunters. If that's your argument you will lose.
None taken whatsoever. It matters not to me who knows the answer, I am committed to being part of whatever works to stop this, including constructive discussion. There are a boatload of examples from CO and other states about what has or has not worked. Your moose example is a good one, to me it has succeeded in the eyes of the voting public far beyond expectations, regardless of its non-native status. I see the voters who have already decided on this issue established in their separate camps. The battle is for the undecided voters. Sounds familiar, right?

None taken whatsoever. It matters not to me who knows the answer, I am committed to being part of whatever works to stop this, including constructive discussion. There are a boatload of examples from CO and other states about what has or has not worked. Your moose example is a good one, to me it has succeeded in the eyes of the voting public far beyond expectations, regardless of its non-native status. I see the voters who have already decided on this issue established in their separate camps. The battle is for the undecided voters. Sounds familiar, right?

Absolutely agree.

Along those lines I'm curious what other effective arguments people have heard or thought of other than economic impact on the CPAW, depredation, and the declining numbers for deer and elk. @Big Fin has discussed the topic of wolves and bears in Montana a number of times and the pitfalls that have occurred.

I'm wondering if there is something in the Montana story that really stands out or could be used as a discussion topic. I'm just really not seeing the pure "predator" impact message carrying water with Colorado voters.

Absolutely agree.

Along those lines I'm curious what other effective arguments people have heard or thought of other than economic impact on the CPAW, depredation, and the declining numbers for deer and elk. @Big Fin has discussed the topic of wolves and bears in Montana a number of times and the pitfalls that have occurred.

I'm wondering if there is something in the Montana story that really stands out or could be used as a discussion topic. I'm just really not seeing the pure "predator" impact message carrying water with Colorado Denver,Boulder,Pueblo voters.
Fixed it for ya

I'm just really not seeing the pure "predator" impact message carrying water with Colorado voters.

In the podcast offered above, with Randy Newberg hosting Jim Heffelfinger, Science Coordinator for Arizona Game & Fish made some solid observations regarding the forced large grey wolf re-introduction in Colorado would be a threat to the Mexican wolf ESA project in AZ. Main portion begins @ 51:00 re: Colorado ballot for grey wolves and the disastrous effect that may pose for the actual Northern AZ ESA Mexican wolves "...and the strong marketing campaign to bring wolves to Colorado"

Heffelfinger discussed their published scientific paper in Biological Conservation, <Heffelfinger> "...peer reviewed journal so that information is out there, I'm sure people are trying to ignore it and not pay any attention to it but we've laid out in a really good comprehensive paper all the problems recovering Mexican wolves too far north and that same thing applies to bringing big Canadian wolves down too far south..."
Randy Newberg best put it in common folk language, "hm-huh, Well, I almost want to go to Colorado and start saying, 'Hey! Someone read this because you guys are headed down a path here' --- I feel like they're in the Titanic and that everyone knows the iceberg's there..."

There is so much more to the podcast discussion and likely more value than the small excerpts shared above.

Last edited:
This is a vid of Steve Yamashita who was the area wildlife manager in the area with the highest and earliest concentration of CWD. Steve discusses the idea that wolves would somehow slow or limit CWD and pronounces it "just not true" which is strong language for Steve, he goes on to suggest that wolves by being coursing predators covering long distances could actually help spread the disease.

A series of presentations for the rural eastern plains etc.

Please see the email below from State Representative Kimmi Lewis and let us know if you are in the area and can join us. We're grateful for Rep. Lewis' strong leadership on saying no to this insane idea of forced wolf introduction in Colorado.

It's going to take all of us working together to protect our wildlife, livestock and western way of life against forced wolf introduction so I hope to see you at one of the events below.

Best-
Denny

-------Original message-------
<[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019 at 5:06 PM
Subject: Please be my guest
jaOAp395NOm5pkSfI0F73EA8rD6QwZjATwXlR8HJeH3PWgR7cFKesJtrT5_EL8Tf1GI9_EcKh3oT3NhmsK27ga1fy0Gpr7-sTdFpTzntz2dYj3oN_2lvro6ma7ZZDShke69CtAm2C-IGIFQ8O4iYPQvP6M7wGjHR04A=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear friend,
Please be my guest at an important community meeting next week to hear about the dangerous effort underway to force wolves into Colorado.

Hunters, farmers, ranchers, and anyone who loves or lives off the land will want to be at one of five presentations from Nov 12 to the 15th.

I’ve invited former US Fish & Wildlife biologist Jim Beers to come to our part of Colorado to sound the alarm and help educate people about the huge danger being forced on us if voters allow forced wolf introduction in 2020.

Already, the out-of-state proponents of this foolish idea have announced they have more than enough signatures to place their Initiative 107 on our 2020 ballot.

Please see below to pick the presentation time and location that works best for you. And please let me know to this email if you can make it.

I’m looking forward to seeing you!
b0oIr5pvwcvYmQFpaCPbcmt-M8dUddlrYauYoTGlK-w7BtSgYrUIse5Py7cJkV_bTaEr-z-iXr7COL-MKR2B92YHSz4vcBHwPlGyPhoxZLaEjI77X4BkAe4lCRFs3AQ9aRw4fj-IfEpAswyyBr4MFq8eCFiiLUhGAhA=s0-d-e1-ft

Kimmi
l5-M7JvYcSieHlnpkrmTA9YpRnZNcKpq9wO2QK7v_hKQe0_gPq5iI0GlKH8cugPMexsCwoPMaj3bxkQ2IKI4EZSFS3QgVaB2NUQWuBPNJMizoyS7yWoJgaiGMbW_9Jsqxjt262MCZ0lphiZdAY_WmGPar_RwHMnVrOg=s0-d-e1-ft

Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing
How bureaucrats and outside interests use wolf introduction to accomplish their agenda
By Jim Beers - Retired U.S. Fish and Wildlife Biologist
Jim Beers is a retired US Fish & Wildlife Biologist that has worked in many domestic and foreign locations including Washington, DC, and as an employee of a western state wildlife agency.

Jim became a whistleblower in the mid 1990’s when he testified before Congress about the theft of $45 to 60 Million dollars from state wildlife agencies by federal bureaucrats to introduce wolves.

He has written and spoken across the Lower 48 States for over 20 years (since retirement) on federal environmental laws being used to affect numerous hidden agendas concocted by Non-Government Organizations and bureaucrat’s self-interests.

Jim Beers Wolf Presentation times and locations:
Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 7 pm
Minnick Building, Baca Co. Fairgrounds, Springfield, CO
Also see a presentation by Mindy Patterson, “The Animal Rights Agenda Lurking Behind Animal Sanctuaries.” Mindy Patterson is President and Co-Founder of The Cavalry Group, LLC, Grover, Missouri, regularly advocating for and defending the constitutional and private property rights of law-abiding animal owners and animal-related businesses.

Wednesday, Nov. 13, 12 Noon Lincoln Co Fairgrounds, 33747 CR 2W, Hugo, CO 80821
Lunch will be provided. A Donation to help with lunch would be very much appreciated.

Thursday, Nov. 14, 1 pm
Large Dance Room, Community Center, 610 S 6th St, Lamar, CO 81052

Thursday, Nov. 14, 7 pm Elizabeth Library, 651 Beverly St, Elizabeth, CO 80107

Friday, Nov. 15, 4 pm Leone Lounge, Sullivan (student) Center, Trinidad St Jr College, Trinidad, CO

I hope to see you at one of these presentations next week and I hope you will also invite your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers to attend as well.

Everyone has a stake in this fight so please come to educate, equipe, and prepare yourself to stop wolf introduction in Colorado before it’s too late.

Please let me know, and thanks for forwarding this to anyone you know in our community, all will be welcomed.

Kimmi
-------------
Join the fight against forced wolf introduction in Colorado

Copyright © 2019 Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition, All rights reserved.
Support our non-profit efforts at Stopthewolf.org

Our mailing address is:
Colorado Stop the Wolf Coalition
PO Box 630552
Littleton, CO 80163

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back