Forest Service Public Opinion Survey

Elkchsr- I can greatly appreciate you efforts. I'm not even sure where the Big Hole is, but I have seen many pics of small valleys full of Spotted Knapweed. Your right, with a proper balance, many of the native plants can be quite competitive. Good grazing management can even help to solve this problem, but bad grazing make it worse even faster.

Elkchsr, you listen to Rush Limbaugh? Hmm...now I understand. That guy has a knack for brainwashing people. Total wacko!
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Elkchsr, you listen to Rush Limbaugh? Hmm...now I understand. That guy has a knack for brainwashing people. Total wacko! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And what does my last post have any thing to do with this ignorant comment!!! Please enlighten me... I am in the want to know!!!
Besides, when does it matter what or whom some one listens to that determines of what a man is made of, just because my views on reality are different than yours. I would suppose from your last comment if you are looking for a fight, you listened and hung on every ignorant lying, word that Bill Klinton had to say about every thing, then Al Gore was your next goofy idol ....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Elkchsr, it wasn't your last post...you referred to something Rush said. I haven't been following this thread and finally read all the posts today. I was only kidding. I don't care for Rush. I don't like Bill Clinton, Al Gore, or George W. Bush either.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-26-2003 21:31: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

Yeah, ol Rushbo is right on top of things when it comes to not letting the facts get in the way of his comments...alot like a few on here.

LIMBAUGH: "It has not been proven that nicotine is addictive, the same with cigarettes causing emphysema [and other diseases]." (Radio show, 4/29/94)

REALITY: Nicotine's addictiveness has been reported in medical literature since the turn of the century. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop's 1988 report on nicotine addiction left no doubts on the subject; "Today the scientific base linking smoking to a number of chronic diseases is overwhelming, with a total of 50,000 studies from dozens of countries," states Encyclopedia Britannica's 1987 "Medical and Health Annual."

LIMBAUGH: "We closed down a whole town--Times Beach, Mo.--over the threat of dioxin. We now know there was no reason to do that. Dioxin at those levels isn't harmful." (Ought to Be, p. 163)

REALITY: "The hypothesis that low exposures [to dioxin] are entirely safe for humans is distinctly less tenable now than before," editorialized the New England Journal of Medicine after publishing a study (1/24/91) on cancer mortality and dioxin. In 1993, after Limbaugh's book was written, a study of residents in Seveso, Italy had increased cancer rates after being exposed to dioxin, The EPA's director of environmental toxicology said this study removed one of the last remaining doubts about dioxin's deadly effects (AP, 8/29/93).

LIMBAUGH: "The worst of all of this is the lie that condoms really protect against AIDS. The condom failure rate can be as high as 20 percent. Would you get on a plane -- or put your children on a plane -- if one of five passengers would be killed on the flight? Well, the statistic holds for condoms, folks." (Ought to Be, p. 135)

REALITY: A one in five AIDS risk for condom users? Not true, according to Dr. Joseph Kelaghan, who evaluates contraceptives for the National Institutes of Health. "There is substantive evidence that condoms prevent transmission if used consistently and properly," he said. He pointed to a nearly two-year study of couples in which one partner was HIV-positive. Among the 123 couples who used condoms regularly, there wasn't a single new infection (AP, 8/29/93).

LIMBAUGH: "Most Canadian physicians who are themselves in need of surgery, for example, scurry across the border to get it done right: the American way. They have found, through experience, that state medical care is too expensive, too slow and inefficient, and, most important, it doesn't provide adequate care for most people." (Told You So, p. 153)

REALITY: "Mr. Limbaugh's claim simply isn't true," says Dr. Hugh Scully, chair of the Canadian Medical Association's Council on Healing and Finance. "The vast majority of Canadians, including physicians, receive their care here in Canada. Those few Canadians who receive health care in the U.S. most often do because they have winter homes in the States--like Arizona and Florida--and have emergent health problems there." Medical care in Canada is hardly "too expensive"; it's provided free and covered by taxes.

LIMBAUGH: "If you have any doubts about the status of American health care, just compare it with that in other industrialized nations." (Told You So, p. 153)

REALITY: The United States ranks 19th in life expectancy and 20th in infant mortality among 23 industrialized nations, according to the CIA's 1993 World Fact Book. The U.S. also has the lowest health care satisfaction rate (11 percent) of the 10 largest industrialized nations (Health Affairs, vol. 9, no. 2).

LIMBAUGH: "Do you know we have more acreage of forest land in the United States today than we did at the time the constitution was written." (Radio show, 2/18/94)

REALITY: In what are now the 50 U.S. states, there were 850 million acres of forest land in the late 1700s vs. only 730 million today (The Bum's Rush, p. 136). Limbaugh's claim also ignores the fact that much of today's forests are single-species tree farms, as opposed to natural old-growth forests which support diverse ecosystems.

Back