Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forest Grouse in ID & MT

BillyGoat

How's the blue/ruffed grouse hunting in these states? Any of you guys hunt them over pointing dogs? My impression is that most taken up there are clubbed to death by elk hunters who happen to come across them.

While archery and rifle hunting, I always carry a shotgun in the truck in case we run into them and shoot away. I have gone with a kid that used dogs but the grouse were sporatic and it took a while to find them but it was fun. I'm only talking about Idaho and can't speculate on what it is like in Montana. I'm not opposed to shooting the birds with a bow either....but it is a bit more expensive if you lose an arrow vs. a shotgun shell! Any way you hunt them is fun though.

BillyGoat, why do you ask? Just curious.

Great grousing in ID. I really enjoy hunting them there over my GSP. I prefer to hunt an area that doesn't overlap with big game seasons (september).

If you get serious about it, I could give you a couple of pointers on where to go.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just haven't heard much of people going after these birds there like others states - seems more of an afterthought than dedicated hunting.

I have a job offer in Boise and another here in Phx and have been thinking about the pros and cons of each state. Not that my decision is really going to be based on this info, but it just sparked my curiosity. I already know how other hunting is up there. Also, if I stay in Phx, there's a good chance I'd be up in ID/MT bird hunting again in the next couple years anyhow and I have never hunted the "king of upland" before.

Upland in the Boise Valley is good. A couple pheasants can be scratched out of the public access areas. Chukar is where its at IMO. Lot's of chukar/huns within a couple hours of Boise, if you have a good pair of legs and a good dog. Grouse is good as well.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back