Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ford tailgate

MThuntr

Had a thing happen to my tailgate yesterday. Long story short there's a trailer hitch sized hole in mine and I need a new tailgate. Quote for a replacement is pushing $1200 but a color matched one can be had right now for basically the cost of my deductible but it's a basic tailgate with a camera not light or lock.

Anyone ever swapped out the internals of a newer tailgate with camera, light, and locks and put it in a new tailgate? Is it something the average guy can do or does someone need specialty tools?

It should be same shell for all of them. Everything is held on by clips and 2 sided tape.
Take the access panel off the backside, you didnt say what year, but on the fords there should be a couple of screws for the camera, and either screws or tape for the emblem. If its tape you'll need some poly pry tools to work it off. there should be another panel on the bottom for the camera wires with a couple screws in the too. There should also be a wire retention clip mounted on the inner reinforcement. You'll be able to see it. It's been a couple years since I got out of the auto body business so I'm working off memory here.

As far as the electric lock, it should be a simple swap also. I dont know if you'll need to swap the whole tailgate handle or just the guts. Be careful with the little latch rod clips.

It should be same shell for all of them. Everything is held on by clips and 2 sided tape.
Take the access panel off the backside, you didnt say what year, but on the fords there should be a couple of screws for the camera, and either screws or tape for the emblem. If its tape you'll need some poly pry tools to work it off. there should be another panel on the bottom for the camera wires with a couple screws in the too. There should also be a wire retention clip mounted on the inner reinforcement. You'll be able to see it. It's been a couple years since I got out of the auto body business so I'm working off memory here.
oops it's a 2017...I believe 2015-2017 have the same tailgate.

Thanks for the info.

yep that's the route I'm going. The one I found actually matches color but has different options (a backup camera but not the hitch light or electric lock) so I was curious how hard it would be to swap out the internals that are on mine and put it in the undamaged tailgate
I’d say to go ahead and open up the tailgate access panel per p_ham’s instructions and take out all the goodies you’d want to swap. That’ll give you an idea of how you’re going to install them in the new tailgate (or inform your decision to not try on your own). I don’t think it’ll take long or be difficult. But worst case scenario, you decide it’s all going to be a big hassle and splurge on a complete tailgate and will have removed some electric components before scrapping the busted one.

Also make sure to remove any of the rubber grommets, seals, or flexible conduit from your busted tailgate. The ones where the wires from the electric stuff you’re removing connect to the truck’s electric system. A new tailgate without all your bells and whistles might just have a regular seal or something in those wiring ports. There should be some simple electric connectors you can trace from the tailgate to the truck and remove them with a clip by hand.

I could also be totally wrong, as the newest Ford truck I’ve owned was a ‘92, but this shouldn’t be too tough.

Not sure if those Haynes and Chilton service manuals come sealed or not, but perhaps you could have a long “browse” at the body section at a local auto parts store?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back