Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ford 7.3 gas opinions

elkhnter

I’m starting to look at trading trucks, the wife is pushing it again.
Have a 2014 with a 6.7 power stroke now. Looking at switching to the 7.3 in a F250.
Basically that truck sits in the barn, goes on longer hunting trips and pulls a 40’ 5th wheel. That pull could be short runs or across country.
Anyone have this motor in their truck, what’s your thoughts? Mileage? Complaints, praise?
Looking for some honest opinions, yes I’d do it again or never again.

I have a 7.3 in a '97 F250. I used to pull a horse trailer,boat, and I have a slide in camper for it. Like you, I don't use my F250 as much as I used to.

My biggest complaint now is the price of diesel and fuel economy. Last week I drove through Wyoming and in Casper gas was 2.99 and diesel was 5.56 a gallon.

Thank you Joe Biden, it will only get worse!

I don’t know about the Ford gas engines, but I recently sold my Duramax and got a gas 6.0 in a Chevy. My thinking was that I only need to pull loads occasionally. It’s hard to justify an extra $10k for a Diesel engine plus the higher cost of fuel and maintenance. $5.00 plus diesel is what did it for me.

I've had a 7.3 gas for about a month. Lots of power, and I sure like gas prices compared to diesel.
I haven't had to move my jobsite trailer yet with it, so my mileage is without any pulling, but I'm around 13.2 mpg for local driving, probably 50-75% 2 lane roads.

I've had a 7.3 gas for about a month. Lots of power, and I sure like gas prices compared to diesel.
I haven't had to move my jobsite trailer yet with it, so my mileage is without any pulling, but I'm around 13.2 mpg for local driving, probably 50-75% 2 lane roads.
That’s the info I’m looking for. I’m getting 18 mpg from home to town, about 10 miles.

I don’t know about the Ford gas engines, but I recently sold my Duramax and got a gas 6.0 in a Chevy. My thinking was that I only need to pull loads occasionally. It’s hard to justify an extra $10k for a Diesel engine plus the higher cost of fuel and maintenance. $5.00 plus diesel is what did it for me.
My thoughts exactly.

I have a 7.3 in a '97 F250. I used to pull a horse trailer,boat, and I have a slide in camper for it. Like you, I don't use my F250 as much as I used to.

My biggest complaint now is the price of diesel and fuel economy. Last week I drove through Wyoming and in Casper gas was 2.99 and diesel was 5.56 a gallon.

Your 7.3 is a diesel, I’m looking at the new gas engine.
I also have a 2002 F250 with a 5.4 Triton that’s my local kick around truck. It does pretty good, averaging 14 mpg.

That’s the info I’m looking for. I’m getting 18 mpg from home to town, about 10 miles.
It's going to drink some fuel, being a big displacement motor, but the difference in fuel prices and maintenance costs, coupled with lower acquisition costs, make a pretty compelling argument in my opinion.

Blame Putin, not Biden.

My brother has a 2022 f350 dually CC 4x4 3.73 gears, pulls a grand design solitude 40 or 42'. It's been to AK and back. He likes it, I believe he said 6-7 mpg with that specific trailer. Overall, the 10spd with the 7.3 is a hard to beat hd gas combo.

I believe he's selling it too, TN if anyone is interested. Long story short, he ordered a similar f350 7.3 w/4.30 gears and it didn't show up in time so he had to buy something ASAP to pull the trailer and didn't want the diesel, his truck showed up a couple months ago.

superduty gassers are great trucks. I had a 2008 f250 v10. Could tow whatever, you just had to deal with the drinking problem lol.

I did test drive the 7.3 gasser. There is no shortage of power, and I really liked the truck. But I couldn't justify the price tag. Went the half ton route as we sold the camper so really dont need to tow and the new half ton can tow enough for what I need.

FYI: I got a really good deal on a half ton truck which is why I went that route.

Believe whatever you want. Biden has nothing to do with it. It ALL is because of the greedy gas and oil companies.

While gas prices have begun to fall, the letters come as drivers continue to bear the burden of higher-than-average fuel costs at the same time as the four major oil companies announced quarterly earnings of nearly $50 billion combined. Exxon alone reported a profit of $17.9 billion – the highest quarterly profit reported by any oil company in history – while Chevron reported $11.6 billion, Shell reported $11.47 billion, and BP reported $8.45 billion. These are record-shattering figures for the companies and the result of them reaping enormous profits on the backs of hardworking families.

My wife and I both drive 7.3 Gas F250s with 3.55 gears. She has had hers about a year and a half. I sold my 6.7 diesel last summer and bought mine. Very happy with the trucks. Plenty of power to pull her two horse/living quarters trailer. I pull a 20’ boat and a tandem axle cargo trailer. I also pull a flat bed with a 42 horse tractor. No issues.

You don’t know me and I don’t know you but you have to trust me on this. Do not sell your diesel truck. Trust me…..

Great engine, but THIRSTY. My buddy has one.

Couple tips from a Ford guy that has paid the stupid tax a couple times buying on impulse:

Get the F350. I seriously do not understand the utility of 3/4 tons for Fords. Unless your state taxes you on GVWR, you want as much axle/payload as possible. THEY BOTH RIDE THE SAME. Only difference is a couple helper springs/maybe one leaf spring and tire pressure. If you're not hauling, then run 50 PSI rear and my F350 rides better than my F250 did. The only exception is the F250 with the high capacity tow package, which gets them the F350 axle and leaf springs; these are mechanically identical to the F350 and will hold up better long term if you tow often.

Get a longbed. The 34 gallon fuel tank on the shortbed is feasible with a diesel when towing, but laughable for the 7mpg you'll get from the 7.3L. 48 gallons gets me over 900 miles of range in my F350 (not towing). Also, you get hydroboost brakes with longbeds.

Great engine, but THIRSTY. My buddy has one.

Couple tips from a Ford guy that has paid the stupid tax a couple times buying on impulse:

Get the F350. I seriously do not understand the utility of 3/4 tons for Fords. Unless your state taxes you on GVWR, you want as much axle/payload as possible. THEY BOTH RIDE THE SAME. Only difference is a couple helper springs/maybe one leaf spring and tire pressure. If you're not hauling, then run 50 PSI rear and my F350 rides better than my F250 did. The only exception is the F250 with the high capacity tow package, which gets them the F350 axle and leaf springs; these are mechanically identical to the F350 and will hold up better long term if you tow often.

Get a longbed. The 34 gallon fuel tank on the shortbed is feasible with a diesel when towing, but laughable for the 7mpg you'll get from the 7.3L. 48 gallons gets me over 900 miles of range in my F350 (not towing). Also, you get hydroboost brakes with longbeds.
I like the cut of your jib.

You're right though, MSRP between f250 and f350 (same options) is not as much as you'd think.

1000% agree with the above. Ford shouldn't even sell a f250. The f350 single rear wheel gives you roughly 1,400 pounds more rear axle weight rating and gvwr with really no drawbacks. You can also get it with an overload leaf to really help when you put the camper on it. And no, you can't beef up an f250. Sure you technically can add airbags or an extra leaf, but you can't change the numbers on the door sticker when the nice state troopers pulling his mobile scales out...

I'd bet a large number of 2500s/f250s running down the road with large 5th wheels behind them are overweight on the rear axle and probably gvwr too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back