Forcefeeding a rattlesnake

Gellar

Yes, you read that correctly and but it’s probably not like you pictured.

I know from previous posts the dislike of snakes is huge on hunttalk. But I keep a lot of native animals to Iowa including 6 non venomous snakes and a timber rattlesnake at work. The timber rattlesnake, affectionately named Tim, had not eaten for several months. This is not uncommon and only is a concern if they lose to much weight. Well, Tim has lost to much weight and he needed to eat. So we had to force feed him. Basically it’s forcing a dead mouse down his throat and then massaging it to the point the snake can’t regurgitate it. To start I thawed the mice, if it worked to get one down him we were going to give him two. My coworker got a clear tube about 2” in diameter ready. When the mice were thawed we let Tim go into the tube until just his head comes out the other side. I pinned his head down with the soft grip end of a snake hook and my coworker got Tim at the base of his neck, forcing the snake to open his mouth. At this point we were ready to force feed the snake. I grabbed a thawed mouse with 12” tongs and inserted the mouse into the snakes mouth. Tim bit down to inject the mouse with venom and I had to keep working the mouse back into the snakes throat. After the whole body of the mouse is down you have to use your fingers and massage/work down the mouse so the snake can’t regurgitate the mouse. The first one went beautifully. The second one did not because we didn’t have the mouse down far enough to keep Tim from regurgitating the mouse. The second attempt with the mouse worked and Tim kept both mice down!

Here is Tim in the tube, about to come out and I’m going to pin his head down.

1645572692015.jpeg

I don’t have a picture force feeding him, but I think our boss took one, so I’ll get that tomorrow. But here’s a video from YouTube exactly like we do it. Start at the 4 minute mark, unless you want to see some other cool snakes. Just another day at the office!

I've seen this done with several non-venomous snakes. Never considered if for a rattler.

I'm a snake fan, but I don't like the thought of having to do that.
Our non venomous snakes eat no problem. The venomous ones are harder to get to eat. We prefer to feed them live mice.

Pretty cool. When I was a kid, Dad would let us keep snakes for a month or two and then we had to let them go. We’d catch field mice and the snakes would grab them right up. We never kept a rattler though. Interesting they won’t eat.

Some of you might think the Herpin Hippie likely hunts with a 6.5 Creedmoor but I would disagree. I bet that guy doesn’t use anything less than a 460 Weatherby Magnum, and unbraked at that.

@Gellar, will the rattlesnakes actually starve themselves to death, and if they will, why?

Pretty cool. When I was a kid, Dad would let us keep snakes for a month or two and then we had to let them go. We’d catch field mice and the snakes would grab them right up. We never kept a rattler though. Interesting they won’t eat.
Everything I’ve read and people I’ve talked to have all said some just won’t eat. I wish I knew why.
@Gellar, will the rattlesnakes actually starve themselves to death, and if they will, why?
This one had not eaten since July. Like I said it’s not a big deal. They can go a long time without eating. Just recently it had started loosing weight so it was time to force feed it. At least once a month since it ate last I put live mice in the cage with it. I put it in a dark room for 48 hours because people say that will “reset” the snake. I put it with another rattle snake because some people said competition would get it to eat. None of those tricks worked. This snake would strike mice and inject them with venom but it would not eat the mouse.

Last edited:
We
Everything I’ve read and people I’ve talked to have all said some just won’t eat. I wish I knew why.

This one had not eaten since July. Like I said it’s not a big deal. They can go a long time without eating. Just recently it had started loosing weight so it was time to force feed it. At least once a month since it ate last I put live mice in the cage with it. I put it in a dark room for 48 hours because people say that will “reset” the snake. I put it with another rattle snake because some people said competition would get it to eat. None of those tricks worked. This snake would strike mice and inject them with venom but it would not eat the mouse.
We had a pet bull snake for awhile as kids (Larry). He would get about a mouse per week. One week we ended up with a black mouse and he wouldn’t eat him, he finally killed him but still never ate him. Always thought that was kinda strange..

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back