Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Food Plot for Mule Deer?

Doodah Bach

My research has led me to Tecomate Western Big Game Combo. I am starting a 1 acre plot in western KS, and would love to know if anyone has tried or had any success with this or any other brand.

My research has led me to Tecomate Western Big Game Combo. I am starting a 1 acre plot in western KS, and would love to know if anyone has tried or had any success with this or any other brand.
I don't speak for anyone or represent the sentiment of hunt talk.......... but I think the majority of the folks here either live in or primarily hunt western states in which food plots are considered baiting and therefore unlawful. In the Whitetail world active game management and food plots are a huge and accepted part of hunting. My experience with Mule Deer is wide open public ground and state laws which prohibit feeding wildlife and baiting. I'm not saying you're wrong if allowed in Kansas, just giving you a heads up.

Might as well try it.. 1 acre seems small for West Kansas though. I'll bet the whitetails use it at least.

After witnessing a killer winter in 16/17 I planted bitterbrush and winterfat in an area I keep cows out of for long term browse. I've got some sprouting but it didn't go as well as I was hoping. I'm thinking about trying serviceberry and mt. mahogany but I'm also open to suggestions.

Mostly sage with grass. Still surrounded by sage but by steady watering the sage died off in the middle and the grasses grew. It's mostly a low ground cover that came up but cows and ungulates really like it

Mostly sage with grass. Still surrounded by sage but by steady watering the sage died off in the middle and the grasses grew. It's mostly a low ground cover that came up but cows and ungulates really like it
Bitterbrush, winterfat, service berry and mahogany are all great for wintering deer. Are you using seeds or starts? Depending on the existing plant community removing competition around the planted area can have a significant benefit.

I grew some starts from seeds and planted and broadcast seeds. I did have better luck in the spots I prepped better. Thanks for the tip.

Why mess around and plant anything? Just store a bunch of alfalfa hay on your one acre and watch them come.

View attachment 179006

There isn’t a better substitute than the native grasses, forbs, shrubs, and trees they evolved with.

The benefit of restoring land with native vegetation is compounded by providing habitat to every other native species in that area. From host plant relationships that build the insect food chain bottom up, to seeds and berries for wildlife, pollinator habitat, drought tolerance/lower maintenance, bacterial relationships in the soil, erosion control, etc.

Alfalfa and grains can cause more harm than good sometimes. Same thing with whitetails and corn. Not saying it can’t be done, but it can also be extremely harmful or fatal. Just learn about the native vegetation in your area and restore it. Can be super easy and rewarding.

Looked up that seed mix. Seems funny...it’s primarily non-native plants we spend a lot of time managing our wildlife areas to get rid of. It’s basically a tame hay mix from what I can tell?

Not sure what it’s like in KS where you are, but out here I just don’t see a one acre hay field of that mix being especially attractive to mule deer. By fall I suspect they’ll be elsewhere looking for better forbs and browse. Some of the natives mentioned earlier in this thread would be better IMO.

My experience with food plots here in the east, would indicate that one lone acre is very small. If there are many deer in the area at all, and you only have that one area planted, they will butch it off way before the hunting season.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back