Food Plot for Mule Deer?

I don't speak for anyone or represent the sentiment of hunt talk.......... but I think the majority of the folks here either live in or primarily hunt western states in which food plots are considered baiting and therefore unlawful. In the Whitetail world active game management and food plots are a huge and accepted part of hunting. My experience with Mule Deer is wide open public ground and state laws which prohibit feeding wildlife and baiting. I'm not saying you're wrong if allowed in Kansas, just giving you a heads up.
Always one in the group.
Food plots are pretty common in Kansas and legal. I would look into some clover, not that mix of non native plants.

As others have said - go native. it helps the deer, yeah, but ever other native species as well. Good luck improving the habitat!

As with any planting you need to lay out your objectives first. Do you want a year round food source? Do you want something highly attractive during hunting season? Do you want something in the early spring to help out after winter?

Answers to those will allow for a better suggestions.

The different types of species in that mix would give me pause. Planting and weed suppression/management is complicated by having too many different types in one bag IMO.

I've been looking at Sainfoin. I planted some last year but it didn't make at all. I have some bees as well and Sainfoin honey is supposed to be really good. Deer are supposed to love it. Supposed to be drought tolerant and doesn't mind Alkaline soil. The exceptionally hot dry summer we had last year just didn't work out. I think I'm going to plant some again this spring, just need to get the wallet out and buy some. It's $3 per pound. I'm planting around 10 acres of it in mixed native grasses. Mowing the grass down then no-till planting it.

I've been looking at Sainfoin. I planted some last year but it didn't make at all. I have some bees as well and Sainfoin honey is supposed to be really good. Deer are supposed to love it. Supposed to be drought tolerant and doesn't mind Alkaline soil. The exceptionally hot dry summer we had last year just didn't work out. I think I'm going to plant some again this spring, just need to get the wallet out and buy some. It's $3 per pound. I'm planting around 10 acres of it in mixed native grasses. Mowing the grass down then no-till planting it.
Considered a fall planting? Might let the plants get their legs under them over winter and spring before the stress of summer.

Have my wife plant her hastas on your land. Seems all she ever does is crab that the deer mow them down on my property...

Considered a fall planting? Might let the plants get their legs under them over winter and spring before the stress of summer.

Yes, I have looked into it. I think I procrastinated too long already this spring and am probably going to have to wait until fall anyway now. Things are starting to green up already.

It really does look like the ideal plant for around here if I can get it established.

Here in ohio they have tons to eat all summer and early fall. RYE is the ticket once everything goes brown. Brassica can also be good or planted 1st and rye broadcast in. I pull deer from neighbors sanctuary and can have as many as 25 in field in November to Febuary. That is a lot in area where at most see 10 in field elsewhere. Coyotes are doing a lot of damage. Use to have 100 in a field. Check out whitetail habitat solutions on YouTube.

Yes, I have looked into it. I think I procrastinated too long already this spring and am probably going to have to wait until fall anyway now. Things are starting to green up already.

It really does look like the ideal plant for around here if I can get it established.
The inocculant used for sainfoin is not long-lived (less than a year) so I'd track some down right before you plan to plant.

My research has led me to Tecomate Western Big Game Combo. I am starting a 1 acre plot in western KS, and would love to know if anyone has tried or had any success with this or any other brand.
I'd contact the local NRCS to see if that stuff will work with your climate and soils...they may defer a conversation for the local biologist so please be patient. If it's not already being farmed they may tell you they can't help (sodbusting is not a favorable option to staff)

Personally I think it's overpriced BS for what you're getting...Matua brome, alfalfa, sweet clover, and chickory. The people who blended that stuff have never lived in a dry climate. I can't find anything more than irrigated pasture information but it looks like Matua brome wants 20" of precip. Honestly going to the local co-op and buying the local dryland alfalfa-pasture grass mix will save you the headache.

I don't speak for anyone or represent the sentiment of hunt talk.......... but I think the majority of the folks here either live in or primarily hunt western states in which food plots are considered baiting and therefore unlawful. In the Whitetail world active game management and food plots are a huge and accepted part of hunting. My experience with Mule Deer is wide open public ground and state laws which prohibit feeding wildlife and baiting. I'm not saying you're wrong if allowed in Kansas, just giving you a heads up.
Nebraska and Kansas mule deer terrain isnt what it is out west. Pretty much the transition phase to legit mule deer habitat. Mulies love the alfalfa. If someone wanted to get mad that mulies were muching on my alfalfa field then i dont really know what to say to them. It just isnt the same here as it is further west.

Since someone bumped this up I thought I would update. I did try a fall planting this year, hoping to get some rain and get it germinated.

I did the mowing the pasture and then no-till drilling it again. Trying to decide if I should spray some roundup on what is still alive to give it a better chance or just see how it goes.

Leaning toward just seeing how it goes.

Reading my post again it probably wasn't worded very well. I'm debating on spraying roundup on the grass that is still alive in the pasture BEFORE the Sainfoin germinates.

There was some rain in the forecast when I planted but now it is looking like it will be a week or two before we get any rain for the Sainfoin that I planted to germinate.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back