FNG from So-Cal

Lobo525

Hey Everyone!

New to hunting located in Southern Californa. Looking to learn and pick up as much golden nuggets from everyone. Leaning more into backcountry big game hunts but open to everything hunting and fishing.

Hey Everyone!

New to hunting located in Southern Californa. Looking to learn and pick up as much golden nuggets from everyone. Leaning more into backcountry big game hunts but open to everything hunting and fishing.
Welcome from Mississippi

@Other California hunters. What's hunting in Cali like? Difficulty to pull tags, access, and public perception?

When I was hunting in Cali, I could get OTC tags for a very limited number of areas. Access was mostly public lands.

Public perception: in SoCal there was a lot of anti-hunting hate out there. I rarely felt comfortable discussing my hunting in a public setting. More than a few people were pretty unsettled coming into my house (African and Alaskan trophies proudly displayed on the walls…deer heads in my office…).

God help you if you have a conversation about firearms and someone overhears you. I swear I felt like someone was going to call the police over a discussion of the merits of the ‘06 vs. 7mm Rem Mag.

Here in TN, it’s just common. You’d be looked at funny if you DIDN’T hunt. I carry pix of last years 8 point buck prominently on my phone.

I honestly wish I could be more positive…but I just don’t miss Cali at all.

When I was hunting in Cali, I could get OTC tags for a very limited number of areas. Access was mostly public lands.

Public perception: in SoCal there was a lot of anti-hunting hate out there. I rarely felt comfortable discussing my hunting in a public setting. More than a few people were pretty unsettled coming into my house (African and Alaskan trophies proudly displayed on the walls…deer heads in my office…).

God help you if you have a conversation about firearms and someone overhears you. I swear I felt like someone was going to call the police over a discussion of the merits of the ‘06 vs. 7mm Rem Mag.

Here in TN, it’s just common. You’d be looked at funny if you DIDN’T hunt. I carry pix of last years 8 point buck prominently on my phone.

I honestly wish I could be more positive…but I just don’t miss Cali at all.
No, I appreciate the info, I've always been curious. I developed my hunting bona fides in South Dakota which has a roughly 25% hunter participation rate among adults, and I imagine it is a very different experience.

Welcome from Norcal. The fishing in Socal is outstanding especially for tuna, yellow tail and dorado. I highly recommend going out of San Diego in the summer months July, August, September.
I've done a couple overnighters out of Chanel Islands but have only got White Fish, Rock fish, Sheepshead and Lingcod. I'll have to try out San Diego.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back