Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Flying with Rifles - Does a 63" rifle case exist?

tomengineer

I've tried to research this but I think I'm missing something fundamental. I'm flying Delta Airlines this fall into Salt Lake City. Delta lists their checked baggage fees pretty plainly on their website but they list the charge for their oversized bagged as $200 each way. All standard hard sided rifle cases that would meet TSA criteria exceed this 63" overall dimension limit. That is Length + Width + Thickness. I read an article that Delta has eliminated their previous $150 charge for flying with a firearm. I plan to call the airline to verify before we show up but can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Side note there are three of us going and we are thinking about sharing a rifle case for at least two of us to save money. I'm just trying to avoid a $200 charge each way...thanks in advance.

Edit: Limitation is 62" not 63".

I wouldn’t worry about it... you can check the fine print but typically there is an exemption for sports equipment. Skis, golf clubs, guns, etc.

This is what I took to AK... the box and rifle case were checked the yeti and SG pack were carryon. I didn’t get hit with any oversized fees.
A8180FEC-E587-4A3B-8B6A-C042BCF9B4D0.jpeg

I’ve also flown a dozen times or more with skis, snowboards, and once a mountain bike and never had any problems with any of those either.

We flew Delta to South Africa via Atlanta last summer with 2 Pelican 1750 Rifle Cases that counted as standard checked bags - their "total dimension length" was 68" or so - no extra fees. But we were Delta Gold so sometimes that helps with bag fees.

I wouldn’t worry about it... you can check the fine print but typically there is an exemption for sports equipment. Skis, golf clubs, guns, etc.

This is what I took to AK... the box and rifle case were checked the yeti and SG pack were carryon. I didn’t get hit with any oversized fees.
View attachment 139759

I’ve also flown a dozen times or more with skis, snowboards, and once a mountain bike and never had any problems with any of those either.
Ok excellent thanks. Was the flexible Yeti for a moose :)?

We flew Delta to South Africa via Atlanta last summer with 2 Pelican 1750 Rifle Cases that counted as standard checked bags - their "total dimension length" was 68" or so - no extra fees. But we were Delta Gold so sometimes that helps with bag fees.
Ok thanks. I’ll give Delta a call. Just wish their policy was more clear.

If I remember correctly, it will still need to weigh less than 50lbs, but guns cases are considered exceptions like sporting equipment. You are not charged an oversized fee.
Ok good point on the weight. I will verify.

Make sure ammo is in factory container or something that looks official. Some TSA have issues and how much you can bring.

I no longer fly with gun cases. They are flat and even if you remove the padding and fill it with clothes you won't yield much. Now I travel with a SKB Golf case that I can fit a lot of gear in together with my guns and max it out to 50#. I added locks to both ends.

2019-05-30 07.45.04.jpg2019-05-30 07.48.09.jpg2019-05-30 07.49.04.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back