Flying with a rifle - Is this a change at Alaska Air?

44hunter45

I last checked a rifle on a flight in 2021. This text on the Alaska Air website seems to have changed since then. They used to require TSA locks on your case. Now it seems the will be rejected.
I ran to Walmart tonight and bought a pair of single key locks just in case they reject my TSA cable locks. Wheels up at 0535!!!

1693025756454.png

No personal experience, but I’ve spoke to a few individuals that have done this recently. They recommended no TSA locks, but have a good hard sided case and have a “personal” lock in every hole available. If TSA wants you to open it, they will ask, and otherwise, YOU should be the only one that can access the case.

Like I say, I haven’t done it personally yet, but I’ve been looking into it a lot because with any luck at all, I’ll be wheels up in 2024

As far back as 2018 there was no requirement for TSA locks on the website, only "locks that can only be opened by the traveler". No requirement for locks in every hole either, and specifically stated as such.

Are you remembering something else or something a worker there told you?

TSA has never required TSA locks on firearms, or if so, not for a decade at least.

Just flew w them last week, had multiple locks on each case. They accepted them and didn't comment at all. But, we started w American Airlines from lower 48 and their policy doesnt say no TSA locks.

I'd do it exactly as the Alaska policy says to be sure.

Edited: realized I said we had TSA locks, but they weren't mine and maybe I was assuming they were TSA...small short cable combo locks is what they were. Now I know for next time to be sure to use personal locks. See...HT is good for all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
I put same keyed personal masterlocks on every available spot on my case.
Enter the airport with only 1 lock on, declare it, put the papers I have to fill out inside the case and add the other locks.
I was actually told they will refuse to check it and require you to purchase non TSA locks if you have it prepared in that manner

It’s the gun case itself that gets personal locks. So, for example, if you lock a pistol in a small case, and put that case inside a suitcase, the outer suitcase would use a TSA lock. The inner gun case a personal lock.

Having down with guns since like 2008 I've never used a TSA lock. We always used standard locks and had to open the case for TSA to inspect and swab prior to them accepting it in the oversized baggage area.

While flying out of Adak I we learned that some TSA agents get overzealous and require enough locks that you can't fit your fingers into the gun case when locked. People were having to drill into their cases to add locks so they could bring their guns back. Only time I've seen it that bad. Bad enough that Alaska air actually had extra locks for people to borrow and return in Anchorage because it has happened to so many hunters down there 🤣

Good to know, as I will be heading to AK on Alaska Air in a couple weeks. I have always used TSA locks cuz I thought it was required.

Q: if they want you to be the only one with the key, when using TSA locks in the past, why does TSA always open and check my case, somewhere along the route, after my initial check-in with them? I always find a TSA slip inside saying it had been opened.

TSA keys are common. Seeing a firearms case with TSA locks would raise flags. They were likely checking to ensure the contents weren’t tampered with or stolen.

I've used non TSA locks, and it would bother me to be told to use them.

It would be nice if practices were uniform with the TSA. On one of my trips I checked my rifle, waited 30-40 min outside of security, and then since I wasn't called about opening the case went through security. I was at the gate about 20 min before boarding and get called to the desk. TSA wants my combo so they can look in my case. It's kind of weird to give it to them because technically it's against the law for me not to be the one opening it, but what are you going to do?

This was in St Louis. I really like Denver's system where they scan it and have you open it before it goes back and you go through security.

Looks like TSA locks are ok with TSA but not with Alaska Air. I didn’t realize that, but always use with my own locks anyhow.

IMG_6352.jpeg

IMG_6353.jpeg

Just a suggestion: buy a 4-pack of locks, all keyed the same.

Put two on the outside of the of the case…put the other two (unlocked) with no key inside the case with a note: “use these to relock case if current locks are cut off”.

That’s how I’ve done it going to Alaska three times, Africa 3 times and a bunch of times to Texas.

As far back as 2018 there was no requirement for TSA locks on the website, only "locks that can only be opened by the traveler". No requirement for locks in every hole either, and specifically stated as such.

Are you remembering something else or something a worker there told you?

TSA has never required TSA locks on firearms, or if so, not for a decade at least.
Just tha
Good to know, as I will be heading to AK on Alaska Air in a couple weeks. I have always used TSA locks cuz I thought it was required.

Q: if they want you to be the only one with the key, when using TSA locks in the past, why does TSA always open and check my case, somewhere along the route, after my initial check-in with them? I always find a TSA slip inside saying it had been opened.
so there is TSA policy and there is Alaska Air policy.

The TSA guys actually tried to open my locks with their keys this morning. Small town airport and I tossed the guy my keys over the barrier. I could watch the whole process.
I told them that AK Air website says dual access (TSA) locks will be rejected. They said they did not know that. They said as long as the owner responded to the page to open the case it was not a problem.

As we know, every airport TSA team is a little different.

For me. For the cost of TSA locks and some Walmart padlocks. I’ll have both with me rather than risk a potential deal breaker

I run non-tsa keyed locks and then a single combo lock just to be safe because a lot of store bought key locks are keyed similar. They all have a number code on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back