Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Flying with camping equipment for vacation

VAspeedgoat

So because of my farm and football schedule our trip got really cramped this year. So for the first time we will be flying west and renting a truck to do our semi annual camping/fishing trip. We are each taking a large bag with clothes, sleeping bag+pad, toiletries and a little room left over for souvenirs. We are taking an additional three checked bags that will be the tent, cooler with minimal cooking supplies and a gun case that I plan on using for fishing poles and knives.

The basic question is, is this a good packing plan? I know I can rent a tent as well as other supplies but I like our stuff mainly because it's mine and I used to it. I figured a gun case with a couple rod tubes inside would be a cheap way to carry them as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know if we will be able to do any more of these before my oldest is gone so I don't mind overthinking if it makes the trip work.

Looks good, basically how I fly to AK. You can’t fly with fuel canisters (jet boil style) and any fuel containers (MSR) need to be really clean.

I typically take my SG as a carryon, a big duffle and then gun a case.

That'll work. Done something similar many times. There are a few ways to not pay for 1st checked bags as well (besides flying southwest)

Other option is to carry your poles as a carry on. Done it before, use a pvc tube and make sure it will fit in the overhead bins. But flight attendants are super nice and usually will put it in the closet for you if you ask ... I've even had them comment that they were glad I had them in a tube so they didn't have to worry about them breaking in the bin.

We've got a national Forest spot in Western CO that's special to my wife's family and then another in Wyoming in the Bighorns. Probably a few days in Yellowstone and Cody as well.

Airline rules are kinda weird sounding for fishing stuff but I'm figuring on them in a rod tube in my gun case with knives, spotting scope and handgun. I don't figure I'll get too much hastle.

We've got a national Forest spot in Western CO that's special to my wife's family and then another in Wyoming in the Bighorns. Probably a few days in Yellowstone and Cody as well.

Airline rules are kinda weird sounding for fishing stuff but I'm figuring on them in a rod tube in my gun case with knives, spotting scope and handgun. I don't figure I'll get too much hastle.

I’ve had good luck with tubes in the overhead bin. Just make sure your reels are in the checked bags... I’ve heard horror stories of TSA making people gut their reels.

I’ve had good luck with tubes in the overhead bin. Just make sure your reels are in the checked bags... I’ve heard horror stories of TSA making people gut their reels.
Just passed through security with four reels in my carry on, but not to say everyone would be so lucky... One option would be to pack the spool if you could?

How did this work out for you? I’m planning something similar with my wife in May. We’re going on a “hiking” trip in CO which may or may not be in a few hunting units I’m interested in scouting. My plan is to check our backpacks with all of the camping and hiking supplies and carry on the 4 piece fly rods, and any electronics. Any issues with weight limits?

Does anyone take their tent stakes out of the tent bag that is in your carry on? I've been doing alot more flying with camping equipment lately and have put tent stakes in my checked bag out of an abundance of caution. Not sure if it matters or not to TSA, but want to avoid any potential hassle.

Everything went well for me. Because we were tent camping from the truck this is how we packed. Each person had a somewhat waterproof bag Cor clothes, sleeping stuff and toiletries. We put the tent and collapsible fishing poles in a bag together to save wear and tear on the tent bag. We put all cookware and remaining camping stuff in a cooler and wired the latch shut. I took my pelican gun case and packed pistol, knives, hatchet, binoculars, spotting scope, and fly rod tubes and reels. All were under weight except one and they let us rearrange to be under. It was surprisingly easy except shuffling from vehicle to terminal but shuttle drivers and passengers were polite. I would deffinitely do again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back