Flying this season?

JoltnJoe

Starting my travel plans for September elk. Curious to know whose flown since the pandemic and how was your experience? Did you feel that the airlines/airports were Making an effort to keep everyone as safe as possible with respect to Covid? Sure saves me a lot of time and money versus driving, TIA!

I've flown pretty recently, and it's actually not bad. Everyone seems to have a mutual respect for each other. The planes are spotless since they're getting cleaned out each flight, everyone is wearing a mask and I don't know how other airlines are doing it but southwest is not filling the middle seat.

The only downside right now is that they aren't serving beverages on the flights, which doesn't really affect me since I usually dose myself up on airport coffee before I fly anywhere

I am planning on a quick reconn trip to my hunting area in early September that is going involve a round trip flight so I am interested as well.

I haven't flown very recently personally but have a friend who has been on several flights over the past few weeks and his experience seemed very similar to what TexanSam posted above. He said masks were required, at least on the airlines that he was using.

I flew in late May With United. I was shocked by a few things. Not sure if it's still the same
1) airports were dead. Nothing was open. Basically just a McDonald's and a starbucks.
2) United had this big long list of new protocols and I saw maybe half of them followed.
3) if you're relying on others to wear a mask to save yourself from exposure, think again as so many don't wear it or wear it correctly.
4) rental car place was largely understaffed making it take over an hour to get that squared away.
5) I flew to a state with a 14 day quantine requirement. I was there for 1 day not in quarantine....no enforcement or anyone to enforce that

I flew in June. Fly again next week.
In June the airport was fairly quiet but my flight was full.
everything was fairly normal except no airport bar.

We are headed to Wyoming in Oct and planned on flying, but since we have some time off built up, we plan to drive now.
I was hesitant anyway, but not knowing how things may be in a few months makes the decision a little easier.
The buddy coming along with me has not see that part of the country, so driving will be perfect for him.

I don't know how other airlines are doing it but southwest is not filling the middle seat.
I usually fly 100-ish segments a year and I just drove 11h to Dallas on Sunday instead of flying if that tells you anything :)

I have one project team that has been flying some. They happen to be Delta flyers (also blocking middles) and have said it's been fine and people are generally respectful and well-behaved as others have noted. Flights are full, as schedules have been slashed to meet demand and if you are flying to a small airport you may have even less options.

If I have to fly any time soon, I'll only do it with a blocked middle (Delta, Southwest, JetBlue, Alaska are all blocking middles) and I'll try and pick a low demand day/time (e.g. mid-day on a Tuesday or Wednesday). September may be different, but it may not - I will watch the airline news closely for schedule increases, as that will dictate how full the planes are. United and American are not limiting seats sold, but will allow you to change for no charge if the flight is full (>70% in UA's case), but given the schedule, most flights are over that threshold anyway.

The flight that has me nervous is Hawaii because they are still in 14 day quarantine and they just pushed their covid test option back another month to Sep 1.
Who knows how long they're going to keep moving the goal post but my flight is in early Nov so there's still time. Good thing is we can cancel or change the flight with no fees and get full credit.

My flight to Alaska seems to be on track for Dec.

I think it's more important where you go through than the actual flight.

Airlines are cleaning, more, but not great, the airports are the question. If you are in a place with a C19 hotspot, remember you are around people who live in that hotspot, but... most of the passengers are passing through. It's once you leave the airport, if in a hot spot.

I flu in June and will again early August, August going out of Denver, not thrilled since they have growing infections, but airport staff are checked, TSA is checked. On the plane you're supposed to wear a mask. In June we were on American and you had to have the mask to get on the plane, once on, many people took them off.

I actually just flew in last night and fly back out again on Monday. The biggest changes I have seen are:
1. Masks, PDX requires inside and out, all carriers require them on the aircraft and most airports seem to want you to wear them.
2. Reduction in available flight times and carriers, they have seemed to consolidated most flights into a few morning and early afternoon/evening flights or less often a week and not all the airlines are flying their normal routes/times. Some smaller airports have even all but closed... Bakersfield did that to me. Such a headache. Example: use to be able to get an Alaska nonstop round trip SLC to PDX in the evenings but now delta seems to be the only one nonstop out of SLC to PDX in the evenings.
3. reduction of services inside the airports. Most of the food places are on reduced staff and are also reducing the menus as well.
other then that everything seems pretty normal, maybe a “new” normal😕

Flew out of Boston about 2 weeks ago through SLC and on to Montana. The difference was striking to me. Logan was a ghost town with almost no services and few people. SLC was the exact opposite. Everything was open, airport was crowded, some wearing masks but a lot that weren’t. People seated next to each other waiting for flights. Couldn’t wait to get out of there. Flights were at about half capacity with most people content with the face covering rule. Have to head back in early August again and wouldn’t hesitate flying again. Plus TSA was a breeze. Fully staffed,lower volume of pasengers. Made the experience a breeze.

Reduced # of flights, few services in the airport and on the plane. Certainly more of a chore flying then it has been in the past.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back