Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

I'm tying a few of my basic streamer patterns tonight. Playing with some color combinations.
I sometimes run them under the faucet to see what they look like wet.
You can hold me to it....this fly will catch me some fish.View attachment 314274
What are you dubbing that with? That’s a killer looking sculpin

What are you dubbing that with? That’s a killer looking sculpin
Beauty of this fly is it is ONE material, plus dumbell eyes.
I tie it with a stinger, or not.
I mix up the color combinations.
The tail should be about body length, maybe a little longer for best action.
I usually buy the magnum size, but if I feel it is too bulky I sometimes take scissors and cut the magnum down the middle.
Voila! Two for one.ha ha.
I have been suspicious of overly gaudy expensive streamers for years, that also are a pain to tie. Just last week I watched a Kelly Gallup video ...he confessed that he makes money selling interesting looking flies but what catches fish is not the fancy fly BUT the movement of the fly.
Blah, blah, blah...I tie , but try to keep it simple.
Get some Magnum bunny and catch fish.20240207_074224.jpg

I usually buy the magnum size, but if I feel it is too bulky I sometimes take scissors and cut the magnum down the middle.
I have been suspicious of overly gaudy expensive streamers for years, that also are a pain to tie. Just last week I watched a Kelly Gallup video ...he confessed that he makes money selling interesting looking flies but what catches fish is not the fancy fly BUT the movement of the fly.
Get some Magnum bunny and catch fish.View attachment 314546
Do you ever have issues with hook fouling with the rabbit strips? I guess if you keep it short enough its probably not an issue. When I have used it for pike flies in the past I often used a loop of heavy mono to prevent that.

Get some Magnum bunny and catch fish.View attachment 314546
Gotcha, that’s cool! I watched that same video as well. Not the size/shape of the fly that matters, motion of the ocean lol. I tie the big, gaudy articulated ones mostly out of boredom and because they look cool… small and simple is my normal go to. I’ll tie some up!

Reactions: Hem
Do you ever have issues with hook fouling with the rabbit strips? I guess if you keep it short enough its probably not an issue. When I have used it for pike flies in the past I often used a loop of heavy mono to prevent that.
Nothing chronic, but it happens.
More so with my bunny pike flies but not enough to bother me.

I'm tying a few of my basic streamer patterns tonight. Playing with some color combinations.
I sometimes run them under the faucet to see what they look like wet.
You can hold me to it....this fly will catch me some fish.

I like the look of your bunny version much better… I had already started tying with marabou before I read your response. I’ll drop it in the river tomorrow and see what happens, probably going to be a nymph day though..

IMG_4262.jpeg

I tie a similar fly to Hem but do Matuka style to save weight so it casts better with a 5-6 wt rod. The collar with a strip gives the illusion of a big head with skinnier body like a sculpin.

Rather than a picture I’ll post instructions that I drew before the turn of the century. Where did the time go?
IMG_0539.jpeg

My tying has gotten lazy in recent years. Usually reduced to tying a few new things to try the night before I head out.

Splurged and booked myself a few days at DePuy’s this spring for the olive hatch before baby arrives. Got started tying some tiny emergers for the trip. Will probably fill a box with a wide variety of small green flies to fish on 14’ leaders with 6-7x tippet.

IMG_0758.jpeg

My tying has gotten lazy in recent years. Usually reduced to tying a few new things to try the night before I head out.

Splurged and booked myself a few days at DePuy’s this spring for the olive hatch before baby arrives. Got started tying some tiny emergers for the trip. Will probably fill a box with a wide variety of small green flies to fish on 14’ leaders with 6-7x tippet.

View attachment 314900
Those look like fish killers. My tying skills are pretty rudimentary, but I tie something very similar that works well around here. Whenever the mayfly hatch is hopping and I'm not catching on the surface, I try one of these. I've used CDC for the floaty bit, as well as the material in this example (can't remember what that's called). As long as the body hangs under the surface, but the emerging bit keeps it just under, the fish slam it. Actually, I'm due to tie some more. This is the last one in my box and it's pretty beat up...
IMG_7992.jpg

Those look like fish killers. My tying skills are pretty rudimentary, but I tie something very similar that works well around here. Whenever the mayfly hatch is hopping and I'm not catching on the surface, I try one of these. I've used CDC for the floaty bit, as well as the material in this example (can't remember what that's called). As long as the body hangs under the surface, but the emerging bit keeps it just under, the fish slam it. Actually, I'm due to tie some more. This is the last one in my box and it's pretty beat up...
View attachment 314904
That looks like hair from a snowshoe hare foot? Stuff is kind of tricky to tie with, but floats so well and dries better than CDC in my opinion.

That looks like hair from a snowshoe hare foot? Stuff is kind of tricky to tie with, but floats so well and dries better than CDC in my opinion.
Whatever that stuff is, it's synthetic, but good to know on the hare feet. I'll keep that in mind if I shoot one this Winter!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back