Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

I've only been tying a couple years and just getting more serious the last 6 months. Still a beginner for sure. I tie a few days a week right now since I had to skip snowboarding this year with a back surgery. Not tying anything as impressive as these big streamers on here. Just small water stuff for Colorado streams. Not home for better photos but wanted to show off some of these big eye hooks I've just started tying. Great for midges. Haven't got to fish them yet though to see how they do. tempImageSzd1ry.jpgtempImagemHI8ZQ.jpgtempImagenaju7v.jpg
tempImageP5sj6q.jpgtempImageNqhzIW.jpg

Last edited:
I work weird hours, so I’ve been tying and reloading a lot lately for something to do late at night. I like flies that are pretty simple and easy to tie, especially for nymphs. My favorite little all purpose mayfly nymph in various colors and sizes:

IMG_7984.jpeg

A dubbing body soft hackle bugger with rubber legs that I’ve been doing in brown, olive, and black. Should be a killer dead drifted or jigged this spring.

IMG_7980.jpeg

I’m jealous, local rivers have been pretty icy. This last week should hopefully fix that.
I just happened to have some downtime this week. It's been crazy warm.
I think the fish are confused to be honest.
Warm, sunny days but water temps not really changing. I think the fishing is actually better with normal winter patterns
But not complaining.

I started tying flies 30 years ago. I had a macro zoom lens/35mm camera setup that did nice closeups . I even shot some photos for a east Denver fly shop magazine article back in the day.

Todays cell phone cameras are doing amazing work for this thread.

The last flies that I pumped out were featuring some turkey feathers found on a Wyoming ranch. Most of those flies went to the ranch owner as a token of thanks for access.

I've only been tying a couple years and just getting more serious the last 6 months. Still a beginner for sure. I tie a few days a week right now since I had to skip snowboarding this year with a back surgery. Not tying anything as impressive as these big streamers on here. Just small water stuff for Colorado streams. Not home for better photos but wanted to show off some of these big eye hooks I've just started tying. Great for midges. Haven't got to fish them yet though to see how they do. View attachment 313490View attachment 313491View attachment 313492
View attachment 313487View attachment 313488
I like those fly holders, and the bugs look great! Where do you find the big eye hooks? Never seen those before, kind of looks like an emerging gas bubble on those midges

I like those fly holders, and the bugs look great! Where do you find the big eye hooks? Never seen those before, kind of looks like an emerging gas bubble on those midges
The holders I got on Amazon, but then 3d printed the grey pieces that hold the holders on my tying station. They hooks are from https://ezeyefly.com/
He is just one guy selling them from his house so the selection is small but the customer service is great. I first found them when I met him at a fishing meet up at a local brewery. Then he was very fast with email questions when I ordered some hooks. This is my first round of hooks and I haven't got to fish them so can't comment on performance but hopefully I can get out this week and give them a try.

The holders I got on Amazon, but then 3d printed the grey pieces that hold the holders on my tying station. They hooks are from https://ezeyefly.com/
He is just one guy selling them from his house so the selection is small but the customer service is great. I first found them when I met him at a fishing meet up at a local brewery. Then he was very fast with email questions when I ordered some hooks. This is my first round of hooks and I haven't got to fish them so can't comment on performance but hopefully I can get out this week and give them a try.
But do they catch fish?

You’d be correct, the hot head Ray Charles from the infamous Bighorn River, because “even a blind man could catch a fish on it” lol
I've fished the Bighorn one time, and I got skunked! But to be fair, (if my now wife ever sees this she will kill me), I didn't get to fish it as long as I would have liked because.... well..... she wasn't having fun. Sometimes losses just need to be cut.

I was a lot greener at fly fishing at the time and it was a pretty big jump from tiny spring creeks in the Driftless to a giant tailwater like the Bighorn. Would be fun to go back with a my still piss-poor skills a little more honed.

Ill stick to buying flies, I'm not terribly artsie. @Hem Looks like you have had some good luck as of recent. I need to get out on the river soon.

I've fished the Bighorn one time, and I got skunked! But to be fair, (if my now wife ever sees this she will kill me), I didn't get to fish it as long as I would have liked because.... well..... she wasn't having fun. Sometimes losses just need to be cut.

I was a lot greener at fly fishing at the time and it was a pretty big jump from tiny spring creeks in the Driftless to a giant tailwater like the Bighorn. Would be fun to go back with a my still piss-poor skills a little more honed.
Yeah there can be a little bit of a learning curve to that river. I bet you’d do well if you tried it again. A boat helps too. Keeping the wife happy is key to a long day on the water 😂

I haven't done any fly tying in over 5 years. Still have a vice and all the stuff for it. About the time I stopped tying flies, I'd started building rods more. So I have all of that equipment too. I only build a couple rods a year now though.

Fun hobbies to help pass some bad weather spells where you can't do much outside! Both fly tying and rod building are hobbies that can easily consume you and a lot of your time!

Ill stick to buying flies, I'm not terribly artsie. @Hem Looks like you have had some good luck as of recent. I need to get out on the river soon.
I see you are local. Plenty of options, just have do it. The warm weather has really brought people out though.

Back