Floored wall tent on deep snow: experience?

ScottP

I have a 12x12 spike tent with floor and wood stove. my buddy who goes winter camping every year (11,000' elevation) wants to use it. I'm just not sure about setting it up on deep snow, I mean there is zero chance of hitting soil.

Anyone have any experience putting up a tent like this in deep snow? Doable? How about running the wood stove? Seems like that would be ok if you didn't heat up the snow under you too much.

would appreciate thoughts/experience as I've only used the tent in much 'fairer' conditions.

You will have to do a "deadman " for your tent stakes.

Be sure your floor is waterproof, and or put a footprint/ground sheet down.

A woodstove is going to heat up the snow underneath and sink, and form a puddle of water that will leak through seams.

This is a good Webpage that talks about stoves. Most of those shelters are floorless...

Last edited:
You will have to do a "deadman " for your tent stakes.

Be sure your floor is waterproof, and or put a footprint/ground sheet down.

A woodstove is going to heat up the snow underneath and sink, and form a puddle of water that will leak through seams.

This is a good Webpage that talks about stoves. Most of those shelters are floorless...

Thanks 2rocky. much appreciated.

I spent 9 days on snow with wood stove going withour problem in a 12x12 spike with 2 other people and 2 dogs-not deep snow maybe a foot-I think the heat will go up and not melt the snow if it is cold outside. If you did get water just make a drain away from tent. I did lay down a tarp first under the floor. The staking is the critical part if you have wind.

Thinking about your question...

My 12x12 does have a zipout floor portion for the stove. If I pitched on packed snow, I think I would put some logs across to be a steady base and dig a slight depression 4-6 inches deep to contain any melt water if it did melt.

I've been lucky to pitch on dry ground, before the snow hit....

313405_2458581232580_489201465_n.jpg

2Rocky is correct,try to shore up the stove if he insists on trying.
I have seen nothing but problems pitchin a wall tent on top of deep snow and trying to use a wood stove, melts the snow underneath,sinks down,tries to tip over ,floods the rest of the tent etc. I pitch a canvas spike tent all the time in the winter and use my wood stove.But I dig to dirt. Even pitched it on a lake,stuck fire wood in the ice fishin holes,they froze tight, tied the ropes to them,real solid, never do it again though,didn't sleep a wink with the ice groaning all night long and cracks appearing under my cot..LOL

2Rocky is correct,try to shore up the stove if he insists on trying.
I have seen nothing but problems pitchin a wall tent on top of deep snow and trying to use a wood stove, melts the snow underneath,sinks down,tries to tip over ,floods the rest of the tent etc. I pitch a canvas spike tent all the time in the winter and use my wood stove.But I dig to dirt. Even pitched it on a lake,stuck fire wood in the ice fishin holes,they froze tight, tied the ropes to them,real solid, never do it again though,didn't sleep a wink with the ice groaning all night long and cracks appearing under my cot..LOL

Thanks M2H. My gut says 'no' on trying to do this on top of 10' of snow, so your experience is much appreciated.

2Rocky - awesome photo. Think I'll stick to 'shallow' snow for the spike tent. Besides the floor melt issues, there are just so many stakes required for a solid pitch.

Back