Fleshing, how deep ?

Akcabin

I was blessed to harvest a black bear. Believe she was a 1-1/2 year old sow while out moose hunting. She was so clean that she looked like she just came from the salon. No odors, beautiful little hide. My wife was fleshing it and we were unsure of just how deep to flesh. At spots she got down to what I suspect are hair follicle roots. Black. Is this too far? Can folks school me on what to look for while fleshing a black bear hide as the excess membrane is removed.
Also when air drying. Remote so didn't have access to refrigeration then so I laid it out in the generator shed flesh up but thought somewhere I found that it's better to flip it if possible. For better or different air flow. I double wrapped it up tight skin in. It's in the bottom of the freezer.
Question did the fleshing go too deep where the what I think were the hair roots or is that the way? And will the hair slip in those spots ?
Thanks folks

You should be fine, there are spots that will show more hair through the hide because it is thinner. Most commercial tanneries will handle it without any issues

Agreed, sounds like your didn't go too deep.

Did you end up salting it as well?

That's one main reason you'd want to flesh as much as possible is salt can't penetrate the fat if it's too thick so you end up risking bacteria leading to hair slippage

My boss (taxidermist) told me to flesh it until it's "blue" but not any deeper. Basically you should be able to see the underside of the hair follicles without having any hairs backing out of the skin. And like Wilderness said, some spots will be a bit thinner than others.

I agree with them, it sounds like you did it right and should be good to go.

Wow thanks for the quick replies. Life happened n it's been in the freezer for 1-1/2 years but researched that should be OK.
Was planning on doing it myself. It will be a wall mount. With the bleached skull in the middle.
While I'm here. Any particular method to use ?
Thanks again.

Wow thanks for the quick replies. Life happened n it's been in the freezer for 1-1/2 years but researched that should be OK.
Was planning on doing it myself. It will be a wall mount. With the bleached skull in the middle.
While I'm here. Any particular method to use ?
Thanks again.
They're all messy ha!

Watch out on your bleach content as that can make bones crumble. From memory I think a lot of folks like using peroxide from hair(human) bleaching kits

They're all messy ha!

Watch out on your bleach content as that can make bones crumble. From memory I think a lot of folks like using peroxide from hair(human) bleaching kits
Super Star Cream Peroxide Developer 40 Volume - 16 Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z916W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BHPZ4MJJ7G64Z8JZAE7C

Before bleach- Boiled, pressure washed, then dried

20210715_202100.jpg
After bleach- one coat and an hour in the sun
20210726_153248.jpg
Might do another coat for a more "clean" look. I've done an elk skull and 2 whitetails with one 16oz bottle of that stuff. It's pretty mild, no crumbling problems on bone so far.

Back