Flathead Smallmouth?

Art Vandeley

Since my girlfriend insists on spending all of our weekends at their families place on Flathead Lake, I need to figure out the fishing up there. Does anyone have any advice on what to use for small mouth bass?

I was thinking jig head with short plastic worms with fluted tails.

I have caught some perch up there, but never any bass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yami's wacky style. Be sure to pm me the location for the smallies so I may, eh... collect sample size and weight for my official report to FWP. GPS location will do. ;)

Ya, ya... j/k. Best to ya! Post pics and your story. (Add some identifiable landmarks while you're at it.) :D

Yami's wacky style. Be sure to pm me the location for the smallies so I may, eh... collect sample size and weight for my official report to FWP. GPS location will do. ;)

Ya, ya... j/k. Best to ya! Post pics and your story. (Add some identifiable landmarks while you're at it.) :D
I second the yami's wacky style seems to work everywhere. Can go wrong with some rubber on a jig head or even a crank bait

Are they pretty few and far between? I haven't heard much about fishing for them there, other than they exist.

I've not caught large or smallies in the main body of Flathead Lake. Tried once in a couple of the reed bays and shallow grass on the backside of a couple islands w/o any success. The main fish I've focused on for that lake are the lakers (Mackinaws) - focused on the 200'+ depth areas for the bigger boys 10-20 #. Typically smaller 1-4 # in more shallow waters 10-60'.

If you do fish the lake, be sure to have the tribal license for the lower half of flathead.

I think the south end is supposed to be good. State record came from Polson and I caught one in east bay this spring fishing for perch. I intend to give it a go later this summer.

Tubes.

Tubes and smallies go together like peanutbutter and jelly.

In fact if you want to see if there are any smallmouth in a lake, bounce a tube around on some of the rockpiles, points, etc.

The last time I fished smallies we toss crawfish color rapalas and other crankbaits. Depending on where you're at you may catch some pike minnows too which can be a bit annoying.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back