PEAX Equipment

Fixing Your Feet - a book recommendation

Paul in Idaho

Last fall, I discovered the Gore-Tex waterproof lining in my boots failed. I made the discovery during a backpack hunt in the high country, which was covered with several inches of wet snow. I knew from past experience that hiking with wet feet would lead to problems very quick. My attempts to dry the boots didn't work out, and whatever gains I made were quickly lost when I started on the trail back to the truck.

As expected, a day and a half of wet feet brought pain, swelling, and purple blotches. After a day of rest, I hobbled into the local sporting goods store for some supplies. The first thing I saw was a book titled "Fixing Your Feet," which sounded really interesting that day, so I bought it. I found lots of good advice for not only my trench foot problem but lots of other injuries we hunters are likely to have. I'll be using several things I learned in the book as I prepare for my hunts. I figured others here might like it too.

I don't know if a direct link to the book will use Randy's affiliate credit, so start at his link, https://amzn.to/2O9OtNo then search for "Fixing Your Feet: Injury Prevention and Treatments for Athletes" by author John Vonhof.

Looks great. Looks like my library has the latest edition. Have to check it out and see what he has to say on chronic metatarsalgia. I've been dealing with that in my right foot for years.

I have been troubled with bad feet since I was a kid. My feet are very flat and even orthotics hurt them causing a very large blister/calus on the instep. Epsom salt soaks in hunting season typically help.

I might have to give it a look. My feet are so flat a podiatrist and a running store both have pictures of them to demonstrate a severe case. Still not sure how I feel about that.

I might have to give it a look. My feet are so flat a podiatrist and a running store both have pictures of them to demonstrate a severe case. Still not sure how I feel about that.
I could be the poster boy also

Back