Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
None of these 6 pages matter.
Nothing on HT really matters, but to your other post in that it will never get fixed in your lifetime, I will bet you a cold beverage it will...When the number on the right hits zero, benefits get cut to match revenues, FOR EVERYONE. Estimates right now are a 23% cut. When the last Boomer signs up and gets a 23% cut in the income that was "promised", stuff will hit the political fan. It will get fixed, just at the last minute and with the most pain for everyone.

An option not listed that would help fix is to increase worker incomes. Kind of win-win.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.59.54 PM.png

Tax me more, I'm not going to cry about it like you are. While we're at it, start making corporations pay more as well. Wouldn't hurt to start taxing the churches you're so proud of either, that would be the Christian thing to do...oh, wait.

It takes money to run a country, a state, a county, and a city.

You need to find yourself an Island.
The "tax me harder baby, yeah right there Uncle Sam, harder," comments are so weird.

Agreed. We tried this as a country- it didn’t work. The disabled and the elderly were largely left to fend for themselves. That’s why Social Security was created in the first place.

Libertarianism is a great concept, but best served ala carte. There is always going to be some areas of our society that rely on our government to function.
Right, and we almost wiped out wildlife, air quality was horrific, Superfund sites are still being mitigated from it, drinking water was horrible, rivers would burn, etc. etc.

Libertarianism is a great concept, but best served ala carte. There is always going to be some areas of our society that rely on our government to function.
Libertarians are not against government.

They want the government to be small and limited and serve essential functions only.

It is unchristian to want people to immigrate legally?

It is unchristian to be against funding a war that is killing people?
No. It’s unchristian to segregate gods children and pick and choose who is afforded grace.

It’s unchristian to not have compassion, empathy, and a real want to help in whatever way possible the innocent people affected by such wars.

I don’t agree with a lot of Buzz’s beliefs but he is at least consistent. A lot of people calling for the “tax the rich” are not volunteering to pay more themselves.
He could give all his money to the government if he wanted. They take donations too.

If each American family paid $194,000 we could erase the national debt. Is Buzz willing to do that?

No. It’s unchristian to segregate gods children and pick and choose who is afforded grace.

It’s unchristian to not have compassion, empathy, and a real want to help in whatever way possible the innocent people affected by such wars.
So the way to do this is to pay for bombs to kill people?

Got it.

Cool.

Now do some other religions...

In all fairness, faith and religion never even entered this thread until you wanted to slap it in everyone’s face. Stir the pot then stomp away crying when you get burned.
I stirred the pot by showing a study that showed faith-based organizations are responsible for 60% of homeless beds in America...in response to you saying, "who will step up if the government isn't supposed to." They already stepped up. But 60% is apparently not enough.

Keep going though with the faith bashing.

It's almost Easter. Lots of good material there.

I stirred the pot by showing a study that showed faith-based organizations are responsible for 60% of homeless beds in America...in response to you saying, "who will step up if the government isn't supposed to." They already stepped up. But 60% is apparently not enough.

The 60% is legitimate and no one argued that. You do have to address the decreasing attendance of churches if you’re suggesting that’s the best option going forward.

I’m not faith bashing in any way, we had our Easter dinner today. I’ve helped on and off with the books for a couple of years and I know for a fact most people don’t tithe (10%). There’s little to no chance that if you remove ss from peoples’ checks as a deduction that you would expect to see that increase show up in an offering plate, more likely you’d see some nicer stuff in the parking lot.

I’m not faith bashing by the way. And heck with it. At the risk of being reported, I’ll just say it. Religion and faith is great!! I’m bashing you personally and your hypocrisy to said faith.

No one is questioning the stat or saying that the stat isn't a good thing, but I'm sure they also receive some level of government funding, which comes from taxes.

The 60% is legitimate and no one argued that. You do have to address the decreasing attendance of churches if you’re suggesting that’s the best option going forward.

I’m not faith bashing in any way, we had our Easter dinner today. I’ve helped on and off with the books for a couple of years and I know for a fact most people don’t tithe (10%). There’s little to no chance that if you remove ss from peoples’ checks as a deduction that you would expect to see that increase show up in an offering plate, more likely you’d see some nicer stuff in the parking lot.
No, I really don't have to argue that.

My argument has been, and still is that the government shouldn't forcing people to pay charity. Let people do it themselves voluntarily. Whether it is through a church, through a personal donation or through any other charity, it doesn't matter. And the bigger principle is a advocating for a culture change where Americans have enough respect for other Americans that we expect something of them.

It the principle. People say that anyone suggesting SS should end is without mercy is an unfair attack. Some of us say, "whatever happens then, happens." I happen to think there are better, more efficient and more moral ways to do it. Forcing people to give to a charity is immoral. It is wrong. "You will declare your income so that you must pay taxes and SS taxes or you go to prison," isn't moral.

If Christians forced people to give by threat of prison, the HT crew would be all over that. If the government does it, they say, "tax me harder."

It is amazing to me that people will either defend SS as effective, or say it isn't working let's give it more money.

I think it is shitty when people discover someone is a Christian and simply attack that. It's disgusting. I thought even Buzz would be above that, but he is above nothing.

Last edited:
No one is questioning the stat or saying that the stat isn't a good thing, but I'm sure they also receive some level of government funding, which comes from taxes.
I agree. My point isn't to find out the exact split by dividing out the money by how much money is coming from other people's taxes vs other people's donations. Certainly many of those people receive government funding/money/food cards, etc. Absolutely.

It was a response to his comment that no one would help if SS didn't exist, as if there aren't groups of people on damn near every street corner that are helping...using money from people who voluntarily gave it.

His response was that most people who even give to a church or charity are doing it selfishly to save 30% on a tax write off.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back