Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fitting Chains on Front

I have a 2015 F-150 and I looked at the fronts and immediately decided that I wasn't going to be able to fit chains on the front. Similar to what your picture showed... Bummer indeed.....

I have a 2018 f 150 that won't take chains on the front. Decided I really wanted to have the option of chains. So I purchased some after market wheels with a different offset than the factory wheels. With factory wheels its was really tight (275/65/18 tires) with chains. New rims with different offset gives me lots of clearance to put chains on the front. Yes spacers would have worked but did not like the idea of having to take the tires off to check and make sure they stayed tight. I also run a LT 10 ply winter tire for hunting and winter driving so they went on the new rims. Kept the summer junk tires that came with the truck for summer driving
Do you remember what offset your aftermarket rims are?

Poor engineering leads to poor solutions at times. I never understood how car makers do not know how things really work in the real world,along with many others.
My '65 F-250 4x4 w/military Coopers & chains could turn,brake,and go loaded with mud. Stock Navy surplus.
I could put chains on the front of my '82 Toyota 4x4,but not with Duelers & mud. Never really needed them very often,except to get up the mtn. with road restrictions and then I would put them on the back.
Can't fit chains on fronts of my '98 Tacoma or '01 F-150 4x4's. I have chains for Tacoma rear,but never needed them, yet, in NM.
They won't fit on the Ford either ,without changing wheels,tires or stock suspension. Know lots of folks who do modify,but they always run into other problems that arise from doing so. One way or another.
I will get chains for rear of Ford if I think I need some extra help in future,with weight in back.

I found a + 12 offset rim. They make ones with more offset, the lower the number the more offset. Some Zero offsets would work or any negative number but I didn't want that much tire sticking out.

Another possible option is the Peerless Auto Trac chains. They are not as sturdy as a regular chain but better than a cable chain. I have clearance for them on my Gen 2 Tundra. I recently purchased them but didn't need them this year as the roads were dry.

This thread reminds me that I need to check the fit of my chains on the front and rear of my new truck. I've had the same set of chains since the mid 80's and luckily they have fit all of my trucks front and rear.

I'm looking at chains again,just in case for the Ford. The Geolanders are great so far,but it looks like it will be snow & thaw all winter here. The mud has been brutal.Many hunters stuck.

I had to go with Les Schwab chains for the front on my Dodge. They worked great last winter.

I have seen them ran on a newer 150 with no problems. I have an 04 still and run them in front. Very little clearance between the chain and steering knuckle/ upper ball joint but enough. Just make sure there's no links on the inside and take up all the slack on the outside.

Here’s what I came up with. I can tell you that with my setup-2018 f150 4x4, leveled front adding 2”, and tall skinny tires (255/80r17) on stock wheels, there is No Way I can run normal chains. I bought some for the rear and put them on the front to check the clearance. The chains were actually touching the upper control arm. I don’t know if I even have clearance for type s cables. I think 1-2” spacers would be needed to fit chains.

View attachment 116574
It’ll wear in 🤣. I ran chains on my 2018 with no problems.

I can’t speak about the newer Fords but on my 2011 F150 I run the heavy cam locks on the back and what the wife calls city girl chains on the front. They beat nothing but so far I’ve only tested them a couple of times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back