Fitting Chains on Front

Ben Sellers

I have a 2018 F150 and the manual says chains only on the rear. I am putting leveling struts on it and keeping the tires about the same size. Should that gain me the clearance to use chains on the front? I’ve also thought about spacers to move the tires out. The sole purpose of this would be to accommodate chains not to look cool. Any thoughts on modifying my setup to fit real tire chains on the front?

I’d call Blue Jay Industrial in Hayden Idaho and talk with them. Their entire business is chains and rigging. Great prices, quality products and excellent customer service. They’ll get you taken care of.

I’d call Blue Jay Industrial in Hayden Idaho and talk with them. Their entire business is chains and rigging. Great prices, quality products and excellent customer service. They’ll get you taken care of.
Thanks. I doubt there’s a knowledgeable local person on tire chains in L.A. (Lower Alabama).

I have run chains on the front of f150's many times... pretty simple process, check your tires for clearance. You probably need 1"-2" of clearance depending on how large the chains are you are using.

Here’s what I came up with. I can tell you that with my setup-2018 f150 4x4, leveled front adding 2”, and tall skinny tires (255/80r17) on stock wheels, there is No Way I can run normal chains. I bought some for the rear and put them on the front to check the clearance. The chains were actually touching the upper control arm. I don’t know if I even have clearance for type s cables. I think 1-2” spacers would be needed to fit chains.

3B0B2975-CAD2-4435-9987-A5683123CC32.jpeg

Make sure the spacers don't get you closer to hitting the fender at full lock as they'll make that contact point tighter than without the spacers.

Here’s what I came up with. I can tell you that with my setup-2018 f150 4x4, leveled front adding 2”, and tall skinny tires (255/80r17) on stock wheels, there is No Way I can run normal chains. I bought some for the rear and put them on the front to check the clearance. The chains were actually touching the upper control arm. I don’t know if I even have clearance for type s cables. I think 1-2” spacers would be needed to fit chains.

View attachment 116574
You are braver than I would be. I sure wouldnt chance losing whatever warranty your 1 year old rig has to try and put chains on the front if the manual says don't.

At
Make sure the spacers don't get you closer to hitting the fender at full lock as they'll make that contact point tighter than without the spacers.

Thanks. At this point I think I’m just going to leave it. Not sure I want to go down the spacer road. I’m afraid of unintended consequences like what you mentioned from changing the geometry.

You are braver than I would be. I sure wouldnt chance losing whatever warranty your 1 year old rig has to try and put chains on the front if the manual says don't.
Don’t think I’m being brave about it, just trying to be prepared. I have read that the prohibition of chains on front is BS to reduce liability. Now I see that’s not the case. It’s good to know what options you have in an emergency.

Also, I just checked the fit last night. Did not move at all. Thanks

Don’t think I’m being brave about it, just trying to be prepared. I have read that the prohibition of chains on front is BS to reduce liability. Now I see that’s not the case. It’s good to know what options you have in an emergency.

Also, I just checked the fit last night. Did not move at all. Thanks

Watch the brake lines as well. That’s what caused me concern when I checked fit like you mentioned

Reactions: Guy
I have a 2018 f 150 that won't take chains on the front. Decided I really wanted to have the option of chains. So I purchased some after market wheels with a different offset than the factory wheels. With factory wheels its was really tight (275/65/18 tires) with chains. New rims with different offset gives me lots of clearance to put chains on the front. Yes spacers would have worked but did not like the idea of having to take the tires off to check and make sure they stayed tight. I also run a LT 10 ply winter tire for hunting and winter driving so they went on the new rims. Kept the summer junk tires that came with the truck for summer driving

I have a 2018 f 150 that won't take chains on the front. Decided I really wanted to have the option of chains. So I purchased some after market wheels with a different offset than the factory wheels. With factory wheels its was really tight (275/65/18 tires) with chains. New rims with different offset gives me lots of clearance to put chains on the front. Yes spacers would have worked but did not like the idea of having to take the tires off to check and make sure they stayed tight. I also run a LT 10 ply winter tire for hunting and winter driving so they went on the new rims. Kept the summer junk tires that came with the truck for summer driving
Good to hear! Thanks

50k for a new truck and we can’t put chains on them. Cross traffic radar sensors and automatic wind shield wipers are what we really want not something unnecessary like chains....

My f150 is a ‘13. I can get them on the back but not the front. I think i could squeeze those cheesy cable chains on the front but not actual chains.

50k for a new truck and we can’t put chains on them. Cross traffic radar sensors and automatic wind shield wipers are what we really want not something unnecessary like chains....

My f150 is a ‘13. I can get them on the back but not the front. I think i could squeeze those cheesy cable chains on the front but not actual chains.

I did some reading on Tundra forums about this, and most people couldn’t comprehend why you would need chains with a 4WD.

I did some reading on Tundra forums about this, and most people couldn’t comprehend why you would need chains with a 4WD.

Was at the dealership in the parts department asking about this a few years ago. It was very much a "do I have a dick on my forehead moment". I was told you dont want to chain the front, but the rear where the power is.

Was at the dealership in the parts department asking about this a few years ago. It was very much a "do I have a dick on my forehead moment". I was told you dont want to chain the front, but the rear where the power is.
Sure. Who cares if you can steer, so long as you can move forward!

I hear chains really help on the rear if you are taking part in a tractor pull....Maybe they frown upon that as unfair competitive advantage though.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back