Fishing around Cody…

WYelker

So my son and I are heading to Cody for the state all stars baseball tournament!

I have found awesome places
Every where we have went. But Cody is new and looking for any suggestions. We have been fishing for cats lately, walleye, crappie etc. Any suggestions? I just got back from softball
With my daughter and am
Starting research…

Do you have fly-fishing gear or just spin rods?
Spin rods on this trip. I have been teaching my son fly fishing, just not there yet. We use ultra light spin gear with small spoons etc.

The best place for spoons (river) is the lower Shoshone but the reservoir is still pretty muddy so the river isn't super clear. Could still try it right at the Hayden arch Bridge on the highway out of town, look for the sign that says bureau of reclamation and a bridge to park by. You could also try the north fork in the soft water. I catch a lot of fish on streamers in there so I don't see why spoons wouldn't work. You could also hit the state section on the greybull river west of meeteetse. Or throw spoons from the bank at Newton, sunshine or Beck lake. Bound to catch something. Goes without saying to bring bear spray or a pistol, even super close to town.

The best place for spoons (river) is the lower Shoshone but the reservoir is still pretty muddy so the river isn't super clear. Could still try it right at the Hayden arch Bridge on the highway out of town, look for the sign that says bureau of reclamation and a bridge to park by. You could also try the north fork in the soft water. I catch a lot of fish on streamers in there so I don't see why spoons wouldn't work. You could also hit the state section on the greybull river west of meeteetse. Or throw spoons from the bank at Newton, sunshine or Beck lake. Bound to catch something. Goes without saying to bring bear spray or a pistol, even super close to town.
I got a spare .22 single shot if you need to borrow it. 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks a bunch. I forgot the bear spray but have my pistol always. I might grab a can for my son.

Hey, what about bear tooth lake, island
Lake, long up off bear tooth highway? I have never been in that country.

We have turkey hunted on the Grey Bull, and the number of bear we saw was scary.

It will be a fun exploration. And adventure. Just wished I remembered the spray
For bears. I do have my
44 mag…

Thanks a bunch. I forgot the bear spray but have my pistol always. I might grab a can for my son.

Hey, what about bear tooth lake, island
Lake, long up off bear tooth highway? I have never been in that country.

We have turkey hunted on the Grey Bull, and the number of bear we saw was scary.

It will be a fun exploration. And adventure. Just wished I remembered the spray
For bears. I do have my
44 mag…
Never fished island lake or Beartooth lake but we went up lily lake last weekend and caught quite a few cutties on mepps. Can be a zoo on weekends though. Quite a few good lakes up there for fishing especially if you're willing to walk.

Lily has grayling as well (or it used too). Any of the lakes on top would be the best option for spinning. Island lake has a nice, heavily used trail that doesn't seem to have many bears.

Lower Shoshone would be good if clear & the north fork should produce as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back