Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fishing around Charleston, SC?

Fire_9

Just got back from Charleston and am already trying to figure out how to do some fishing next time I go back. I have always wanted to catch a redfish but am curious if it's doable from the shore? A charter trip is an option but would much rather do it on my own. Anyone have any experience fishing that side of the country? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, it Can be done from shore...buuuut.

It's not a run out and fling a bait/lure and crank away. Coastal saltwater fishing is tidal dependent, as well as structure.

I'm taking your OP as meaning you've never fished the Tide Water. Please, it's not MT. Do yourself/HT family a huge favor and not try to just tromp out there willy-nilly. 1 sq acre of low country = 100 sq miles of Western standard. Tide/Muck/snakes/Gators can make you vanish without a trace.

The bright spot is there are a about a 'zillion good guys who live to do nothing more than fish, hunt, chase the local cuties, and brag about their boats. (That's your "in", and free beer) All that said, I'd hire a guide for my first trip.

Spend some time on the net, then the phone. Try the Red Tops, along Hwy 17, on the way out to Savannah, if your late in the season. Trout & Reds like the mud bottoms in high tide.

Best of luck. The coast is a different challenge, but it grabbed me by the hind quarters 40 yrs ago and never let loose. Have Fun.

Without a boat it would be difficult. Come October the reds should start moving out of the sounds and bays and can be found in the Intercoastal Waterway and sometimes along the beaches. A good portion of the coastline of both Carolinas and Georgia is comprised of narrow barrier islands and the ICW utilizes the water courses found between those islands and the mainland. It was established to provide a safe route for smaller craft to move up and down the coast without having to deal with the swells, sandbars and other hazards to navigation. They also provide a nursery for fish and shrimp and so are a haven for bait fish and other attractants to specks, reds and many other species of game fish. My nephews fish the upper portion of the SC coast but not so far down as Charleston or I might be able to hook you up with a small charter. Other than that you should be able to find someone on Google in the area you're interested in. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. I originally from western Washington and fished/hunted in tidal water so I'm aware of some of the hazards but the snakes/gators would be new to me. You probably couldn't pay me to wade through the reeds. Not a big fan of snakes.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards a charter but I've got plenty of time to do some research. I'm also toying with the idea of renting a kayak and giving it a try that way or just drowning a shrimp off Folly beach.

If all else fails I'll just sit on the beach and watch the college girls walk by. Thanks again for the replies!

Back