Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fish-tas-tic!

Big Sky

Last Friday my buddy Mike, and a friend of his named Tom, and I had an absolutely "Fish-tas-tic" night of fishing! In fact it might be the best night of fishing I've ever had. We watched the sun go down and then watched it come up again the next day. It was worth every minute of lost sleep.

The main objective of the night were walleye, but we really got into the rainbow trout and perch as well. Here are just a few of the trout. Basically this was all I could fit on my fingers. They weren't exactly little 10" sardine sized fish either.
Troy%208-1-15%20Holter2_zpsr9kyrdyh.jpg

We did catch plenty of walleye and could have easily kept 3 limits, but we all threw a number of walleye, perch, and trout back. We ended up keeping 61 fish total and combined. We figure we boated over 80 fish between us. I LOVE MONTANA!!!

Here's a photo of Mike, myself and our haul for the night. As good as it gets.
Troy%20Adams%20and%20Mike%20Hodges%20at%20Holter%208-1-15B_zpsvmd1wfs0.jpg

Nice haul. Time to start cutting the french fries!

Never fished from a tree stand before. Any special techniques?

Nice haul! I was just telling some family that I'm not much of a fisherman when compared to guys like you, they looked at me like I was purple.

Well done !!!!
If you HAVE to catch trout they may as well be BIG ones.
I'm surprised the perch where that active at night And I think I recognize some walleye in your bed too, NICE !!!
We Night fish for Ling at night an a very popular stretch of water. They PAY big $$$ to float and be guided for trout. If they only knew what there drifting over. We fish on the bottom with a big glob of sucker meat and the rainbow and browns just HAMMER the bait, I'm talking 5 and 8 pound trout. All them outa staters only dream of fish like that and spas over a 18 incher Haha . Sucker and a plane hook .
As normal great pics thanks

CRU, a long is the one fish I've never caught but would sure like to. One of the guys in our boat caught a little on this recent trip. So now I can at least say I've seen one of the strange little fish in person.

Great day on the water. Looks like it was worth every minute of lost sleep

CRU, a long is the one fish I've never caught but would sure like to. One of the guys in our boat caught a little on this recent trip. So now I can at least say I've seen one of the strange little fish in person.

Ling are almost always caught at night, sometimes through the ice you will get them in the day. There a predator fish and most active and spawn in the winter under the ice. If you want I can get you in to ling best is around Halloween. Get with me we get a lot of them, Poor mans lobster. :hump:

CRU, I will probably take you up on that as I'd really like to catch a ling or two. I think I remember you posting a pic of you and a fairly sizey ling you caught during the day a year or two ago.

I wouldn't mind seeing you post that fish again. As I recall it was a good fish. Post it right here if you have it handy.

Congrats Big Sky, looks like fun. I've always said that there is no better breakfast to be had than one made after of good night of fishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back