First youth hunting rifle?

You can load the 35 Rem down into 357 mag territory. That's light kick and adequate for 50 yard whitetail.

It is important to understand that specific gun with full-house loads is painful to shoot for a lot of people. It's the hard butt stock with lots of drop for iron sights. ETA: I started with a 336 at 11yo. I shot it the first time and looked at my father like he was nuts. I had asked for a 270 because I shot his and liked it. He said he got the 30-30 because it would kick less. It does but good grief did it hurt a bony 11yo me. Had he loaded it down with 130gr and bought a youth model to add a recoil pad it would have been a different story.

You can load pretty much anything down. I loaded some 180gr cast bullets down in my 30-06 that recoiled about like a 22RF. I think though that something like a 6.5 CM, 260 Rem would be a better idea depending on recoil. Have a kid here in town loved shooting his grandfather's 30-30 till he fired a 243 of mine. He never touched that 30-30 again. Kids that love to shoot will put up with more recoil than they can really handle just to get to shoot!

It was mentioned that iron sight's get on target faster than a scope. If that is true your using to much scope. the 2 3/4x scope on my 30-06 get's on right now and I don't have to align the rear and front sight! Even so I do think it's a good idea the teach a kid to use iron sights, most 22 RF's have them I think. What 22 RF's don't have is recoil!

It seems to me in every discussion of firearms for either young or new shooter's recoil get's played down by older bigger guy's that have been shooting a good while. They have learned to handle recoil one way or another and I don't think they really understand what happens to some kids when the kid get hit with more recoil than he/she can really handle. Then the answer always seems to be either load down, I guess even if you don't load, or after market recoil reduction. I think what is happening there is teaching a kid not really into it to fail!

I would lean 243/6mm creed or bump up to the 6.5 creed. No flies on the 7-08 or 270 though either. Look at tikkas or for a budget the Ruger American predator rifles.

I just saw this topic is back.

I bought him a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I found a bunchve ammo and made dad but a bunch. I bought some, too. Few hundred rounds (and the rifle) here at my house.

I took him to the range for the first time this past weekend. The rifle kicks more than I’d like for him, but it’s not terrible. Every time he loaded it up, I could tell he was more comfortable. He was really happy after we shot, and he was hitting paper the whole time, with about 50% being good, kill shots (at 25 yards).

Ive shot the rifle a bunch, too. I want my own.

Last edited:

I bought him a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I found a bunchve ammo and made dad but a bunch. I bought some, too. Few hundred rounds (and the rifle) here at my house.

I took him to the range for the first time this past weekend. The rifle kicks more than I’d like for him, but it’s not terrible. Every time he loaded it up, I could tell he was more comfortable. He was really happy after we shot, and he was hitting paper the whole time, with about 50% being good, kill shots (at 25 yards).

There won't be another kid that's got one of those that he knows that's for sure. That's a unique pick. I like it.

243, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, and 7mm-08 would be at the top of my list. If really limited to deer and close range shots, a 6.5 Grendel or 6 ARC also warrant consideration.

I was going to suggest a Ruger 77/44 with a Burris Fastfire III. Sweet little gun and real easy to pack and hard hitting out to 100-150 yds, but I see you already got him a unique rifle.

Interesting choice. Glad it seems to be working out for your kid. Taking a chance on that one. Good for you.

Looks like I'm on the way to building the opposite kinda gun: dangerous game cannon. Mauser action and either 45-70 or 375 H&H. Should be fun. Something to do during a very cold winter.

She was really good!
Two things about this. First I believe she was right but I've never fired a pistol round in a rifle, should try it just to know! Second that was all awfully clear. I suspect she was either introduced to guns well or coached by someone that knew what he was doing. Super video. I ever get a chance to try a pistol cartridge in a handgun, I'm gonna give it a go. I had a 180gr cast load in my 30-06 using Red Dot powder that was about like shooting a 22 RF. Also used it in my 308 with a grain less Red Dot and it too was a pussy cat!

if you dont care about ammo prices go for the 7mm08. but if you are on a budget go 243. dont think that the 243 isnt any good its just that the 7mm08 is a bit harder hitting for bigger bucks and even elk and moose.

If my girls decide they want to hunt, they'll start with a 223 and appropriate projectile like 77 TMK or 6 ARC/6.5 Grendel/6 BR. All of them will make quick work of a deer.

Like most of us, i grew up shooting stuff with entirely too much recoil where the majority of my focus had to be on not flinching from the wallop i was about to receive. 5-10 shots at the range with a 12 ga slug gun before season wasn't any fun. Sure, stuff got killed just fine but that much recoil is completely unnecessary regardless of the engrained fudd logic that says its fine "if they can handle it".

My 11 year old daughter decided she wanted to hunt whitetails. Most of our shots are 100 yards or less. I got her a 350 legend, light recoil, not afraid to shoot it. She put it to good use, harvesting her first buck last fall.

If I was buying a young person a deer rifle I would buy them a Tikka T3 light in 6.5 cm.
Top it with a good variable scope 2.5-10 ,3.5-10 ish power and a 40-42 objective. That should do well for them until they are old enough to buy what ever else they might want or can buy.

Most of us probably started with a hand me down or something less than ideal. If Grand Dad is willing then set the kid up with something that will work good for him and not work against him. A good bolt action in medium weight and manageable recoil is the way to go. I wouldn't start a kid out with levers, iron sights and hammers if I could help it.
Something simple like aim , push the safety off and shoot.

Last edited:

50% kill shots at 25 yards ain’t all that great. Did you end up putting a scope on it?

50% kill shots at 25 yards ain’t all that great. Did you end up putting a scope on it?
Ya I did. He is shooting pretty well now, out to 100 yards. Getting confident. He will only need to to hit one at ~30 where he’ll be hunting. Going to keep taking him every other weekend or so until season starts.

If my girls decide they want to hunt, they'll start with a 223 and appropriate projectile like 77 TMK or 6 ARC/6.5 Grendel/6 BR. All of them will make quick work of a deer.

Like most of us, i grew up shooting stuff with entirely too much recoil where the majority of my focus had to be on not flinching from the wallop i was about to receive. 5-10 shots at the range with a 12 ga slug gun before season wasn't any fun. Sure, stuff got killed just fine but that much recoil is completely unnecessary regardless of the engrained fudd logic that says its fine "if they can handle it".
This should be the first post in the thread.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back