Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First western hunt suggestion for a 10 y/o

Montana offers kids the chance to get a deer license at 10 if there’s a licensed adult along as a mentor. They can’t apply for a limited permit but the general deer tags are available. My middle son got a MT whitetail doe when he was 10. Also, New Mexico has no age minimum. Getting tags there is harder, but there are avenues to get landowner tags. I did that for my oldest when he was 10. Bought him a landowner doe antelope tag. I think these days a lot of NM antelope tags valid on private are OTC. Have fun! Always nice getting the kids out!!

Age restrictions and hunters safety certification will be the obstacles of concern. Montana is still age twelve although I seem to recall some special exceptions in recent years but only for residents I think.

So, he will skip school for a week or two? Not sure that sets a good precedent.

Consider taking him to Africa to hunt. I'm not kidding. No age restrictions or safety certification. And he wouldn't have to miss school because winter hunting there is during our summer. The lodges often run special deals for father-son packages. Right now my lodge has a special deal four days hunting and four animals for $2400 (blesbuck, impala, wildebeest, and springbuck). The hard part would be stopping at four (been there done that). There's always management culling available too at cost of daily PH rate. That would be a good option for a youngster. I guarantee you'll see a thousand animals of all sorts. He won't be bored. Just getting there will be an adventure in itself. I just paid the taxidermy bill for eight euros including a big cape buffalo and it was $900 which isn't bad. That bull euro skull only cost $200. We are finishing up a client's huge bull moose euro today at $450 (they are a mega pain - I try to price it so clients go with moose cap mount instead) Still have to pay freight to ship the trophies. Hunting Africa is expensive but not as expensive as you might think.

South Africa will ruin him for ever hunting anywhere in the U.S 😂 I agree with you on Africa being a really good deal and amazing experience but it almost ruined me on hunting my home state when I went at 50. Ha ha. Just not having to solo pack most of my animals out made it a true vacation. It’s probably too good I think the young ones need to suffer just like I have.

Took my 8yo grandson on a Montana spring bear hunt back in May. Took horses so he could ride n not have to hike so much, made a big camp so it wasn’t “too rough” on him. N just hunted evenings so we could make breakfast, fish, n mess around most of the day. He had a blast. Made it a trip for him to have fun n not so much for me to get a bear. Kids definitely add a spark to a hunting camp, everything is brand new to them n we all fed off of that.

I was thinking a bear hunt would be excellent. If you could figure out how to bait with limited time that would be a great experience. I started my son on bears early it’s created a lot of good memories. As mentioned antelope is a great choice also.

Age restrictions and hunters safety certification will be the obstacles of concern. Montana is still age twelve although I seem to recall some special exceptions in recent years but only for residents I think.

So, he will skip school for a week or two? Not sure that sets a good precedent.

Consider taking him to Africa to hunt. I'm not kidding. No age restrictions or safety certification. And he wouldn't have to miss school because winter hunting there is during our summer. The lodges often run special deals for father-son packages. Right now my lodge has a special deal four days hunting and four animals for $2400 (blesbuck, impala, wildebeest, and springbuck). The hard part would be stopping at four (been there done that). There's always management culling available too at cost of daily PH rate. That would be a good option for a youngster. I guarantee you'll see a thousand animals of all sorts. He won't be bored. Just getting there will be an adventure in itself. I just paid the taxidermy bill for eight euros including a big cape buffalo and it was $900 which isn't bad. That bull euro skull only cost $200. We are finishing up a client's huge bull moose euro today at $450 (they are a mega pain - I try to price it so clients go with moose cap mount instead) Still have to pay freight to ship the trophies. Hunting Africa is expensive but not as expensive as you might think.

As far as taking him out of school - absolutely. In a heartbeat. I would have no problem talking to his teacher/principal/counselor/whoever and explaining where we're going and what we're doing and how we'll see more first hand history, geography, geology, biology, math via calculating windage, and general life skills in those 1-2 weeks than he would get sitting in the classroom doing busy work waiting for the rest of the class to complete their assignments. And honestly, we're at a pretty good school (and yes, it's even public *gasp*) right now where I bet the teachers would be jealous of the experience he would be getting and wish more of their students could be exposed to a trip like that.

As far as Africa... Definitely something to work toward, not sure I want to ruin him with a trip like out of the gate, though. ha!

How about just taking him on a tour of a national park in the West ? The elk are going nuts in Estes Park right now and you can really get an idea of what they are all about. You could also go to Wyoming or Walden CO and look at the antelope.

We actually did just that summer 2019. Went to Ft. Collins over the 4th and spent a few days exploring the Poudre River through Roosevelt NF all the way to Walden (even bought a hat at the gas station in Walden to remember it by). Almost got t-boned by a moose running toward the highway on some backroad we were on. Came back through RMNF and the elk were absolutely everywhere on the west side of the park.

I chose to take my son prairie dog and ground squirrel shooting at that age. It was a good choice.

We took two ten year olds and an eleven year old antelope hunting in New Mexico several years back. They filled all three tags in a day and a half. They’re grown now, but still talk about it.

Pick a hunt you have done before so you can show him the ropes.

I like Antelope because:
Mild weather
truck based Let him drive on some two tracks.
Camp or Motel - Cook or Restaurant.
See a lot of animals (Wyoming anyway)
Animals are active and visible most of the day
If near good fishing can take a break and wet a line (no age restriction) See the WY Surf and Turf Thread

I like having him just tag along so he builds the excitement and anticipation for when he gets to pack a rifle. He will learn by your example and he can learn to glass and skin and stalk without worrying about handling a rifle safely too. You have two seasons before he can hunt in most western states. Maybe make year 2 a mule deer hunt to up the remoteness, camping and hiking aspect.
By year three he will be like an old pro.

Yall GA boys must be behind, here in NC it seems like every 10 year old in a hunting family has a .243

Yall GA boys must be behind, here in NC it seems like every 10 year old in a hunting family has a .243

Well, I've only recently gotten (back) into hunting myself, so I'm having to get up to speed a bit on my own. We've done the obligatory tree rat hunt and he's tagged along on a couple deer and turkey hunts. He's a dead eye with the crossbow. We've just started plinking with the .22. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. Great feedback as usual. I actually remembered to pick up another WY Antelope point last night before my lone remaining point expired. Likely will be looking to draw a decent antelope area next year to expose him to a whole new world.

Thanks again...
CJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back