Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Turkey!

Dougfirtree

My middle son and I went out for youth season this morning. We slept in a bit and headed out at a civilized hour. After striking out at spot one, we headed in a trail to a different area. I made some yelps on the way in and a loud gobble almost cut me off. It sounded like it was less than 100 yards away!
We dashed into the woods, got him up against a tree, round chambered, facemask up... it was a bit of a fire drill. I called again and multiple birds gobbled back, close! At that point I decided to shut up and soon we could hear leaves crunching. The birds showed up left of where we expected, 6 jakes all bunched up so close that even though they passed by within range, he couldn't shoot. He would have hit 3 or 4 of them. We let them get a little past us and then I called again. All 6 fired back a gobble from about 35 yards, which was awesome. They started to filter back our way and finally a gap opened up in their flock, isolating one in the middle. He made a great shot at 25 yards and had his first turkey. He was very excited (as was I)!
IMG_5469.jpg
IMG_5471.jpg

What an exciting hunt to kill the first bird.
Looks like your son stayed calm for a good shot with all the commotion.
Congrats.

Back