Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First time utah hunter

GAdrahthaar

I was lucky enough to draw a doe rifle tag for unit 1002 Cache/Morgan-South Rich/Ogden. I'm a first time pronghorn hunter. Pardon the vague question, but any advice specific to the unit or first time flatlander from the Southeast coming out there would be greatly appreciated.

Be sure to have a good map of land ownership and to understand a bit of the tresspass laws in UT. A lot of the intermingled private in that area is not fenced off from the public and IIRC is open to be hunted unless cultivated or posted. A whole bunch is neither. Do you have a plan of where you will be staying? I would center my focus on Rich County with the town of Randolph being the center. You'll find pronghorns in about every direction from town, but east is mostly hayfields and private. I've seen more animals in the other directions, especially south/southwest. For does, don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask for permission if you see them using a specific field consistently. Lots of the folks there aren't that fond of pronghorns (they've really only been there since 1983).

Once you get a bit of a plan down, let me know if you want. I spent quite a bit of time in that country and can recommend some places to check out.

PS- Might want to take your dog. Some decent blue grouse hunting in the mountains between Randolph and Ogden.

Thanks 1_pointer. I really don't have a specific plan yet but this will help me zero in. It seems like I'll be glad I spent the money for onX in this unit - just need to figure out if I want a chip for my garmin alpha or to use the phone app. Do you recommend any particular place to research trespass laws?

The pup is definitely coming with, we're hoping to go chase chukar after pronghorn. Hopefully he'll behave on long spotting days in the truck. I've never grouse hunted but would love to give that a try as well.

I had that same tag four or five years ago. I live close to the unit and and just went on a Saturday morning. I didn't see any other hunters in the area and killed one right after lunch. I only saw one group that was on public and got mine out of it. The ownership is a little tricky but, you shouldn't have any trouble if things haven't changed. I hunted the area southeast of Bear lake, there are less antelope there but also less antelope hunters.

I hunted solo in that area with the nonresident muzzlelader tag last year. Fun hunt. I stayed at Best Western in Evanston, Wyoming. Hunt the WMA north and west of Woodruff. Roads usually drivable without 4wd. Pronghorns mostly up high. Hunted pronghorn like mule deer. Use your binoculars and glass. Saw quite a few nice animals up high and away from roads. Don't get discouraged. Stay in the field from sunrise to sunset. I missed a shot with muzzleloader on 1st day. Had a misfire on 3rd day. Then connected on evening of 5th day. Utah locals and cowboys were friendly and helpful. Rough lookin' women in town though. Game processor located in Evanston shipped meat and trophy back for me.

+1 staying in Evanston. Hotels, processor, food, gas.

For chukars look on east side of Bear Lake. Rattlers may out in October if it's good weather so I would encourage snake proofing your dog. Locate by listening to clucks, glass to find and then figure out how to get above them.

Good luck and safe travels to Utah.

Thanks yall.

Is it common to also chase blue grouse with the dog in this region? I would love to try but don't want to go chasing ghosts or blow out someones big game hunt. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back