First time shooting out ~300yds

SD_Prairie_Goat

Decided to test out my shooting skills at further distances, in preparation of possibly getting a Wyoming bull tag this year.

I was able to get 280 yds (there was a fence preventing the extra 20 yds). I'm pretty happy with my grouping.

Had about a 10mph wind slightly crossing, ignore the x'd out hole, that was the bore cleaning 1st round
IMG_4018.JPG

All in all, happy with the results. I want to keep testing longer ranges this summer and get confident to maybe 400yds, big maybe.

Good shootin'. What kind of scope, ammo, rifle? What does the rifle bench at 100 yards?

Oh ya, left out the good details!

Weatherby Vanguard II, 308
Shooting 165 Trophy Coppers from Federal
Leupold VX-II 3x9
Shooting with my hunting bipod from the prone position

On the bench at 100yds I've closed the grouping to under an inch, but that's with no wind... That doesn't happen often in South Dakota...

Oh ya, left out the good details!

Weatherby Vanguard II, 308
Shooting 165 Trophy Coppers from Federal
Leupold VX-II 3x9
Shooting with my hunting bipod from the prone position

On the bench at 100yds I've closed the grouping to under an inch, but that's with no wind... That doesn't happen often in South Dakota...
I took a long range class down here in Florida in February. They wanted you to have a rifle that shot under 1" groups at 100 yards, which I did. I would have been happy, before taking the class to shoot out to 300 yards, but afterwards I feel like 500-600 yards is no problem. Just dial it in on the scope. So, your next task is to put out targets out to say 600 yards, get a spotter with a good spotting scope, a ballistic calculator, and start banging away. I was shooting Federal premium ammo and used their ballistic calculator oil their website for the 160 grain accubonds, and it was spot on except for 750 yards I had to raise it a quarter MOA. You can do it!! I was amazed how easy it was to be able to shoot that far. we only had a very slight wind that day. I shot out to 900 yards, and not 3" groups mind you. But at 500-600 yards I could confidently hit an elk.

I took a long range class down here in Florida in February. They wanted you to have a rifle that shot under 1" groups at 100 yards, which I did. I would have been happy, before taking the class to shoot out to 300 yards, but afterwards I feel like 500-600 yards is no problem. Just dial it in on the scope. So, your next task is to put out targets out to say 600 yards, get a spotter with a good spotting scope, a ballistic calculator, and start banging away. I was shooting Federal premium ammo and used their ballistic calculator oil their website for the 160 grain accubonds, and it was spot on except for 750 yards I had to raise it a quarter MOA. You can do it!! I was amazed how easy it was to be able to shoot that far. we only had a very slight wind that day. I shot out to 900 yards, and not 3" groups mind you. But at 500-600 yards I could confidently hit an elk.
Honestly, my goal is to keep on stretching out. Federal+Sigs calculator should get me close enough. The problem is always wind around here!

Regardless, when it comes to an elk sized animal my limitation will be more reasonable. I know I get a little buck fever and tend to swat the trigger and pull my shot a little. Because of this I limit to 300 yards. Some day I'll learn to not get too excited, but what's the fun in hunting if you can't get excited?

I would say a ballistic calculator app and knowing your actual velocity lowers the hurdle to distance shooting. I throughly enjoy airing some lead out now that I have a grasp on how to.

But I will warn you, it’s addicting. There is just something about little tiny holes grouped together at a distance.

You could open that group up quite a bit and still have a very dead bull. Aim Small Miss Small

Honestly, my goal is to keep on stretching out. Federal+Sigs calculator should get me close enough. The problem is always wind around here!
Plenty of wind in WY too, so it’s good practice. If nothing else, it’s fun to test yourself and push yourself on targets. Practice practice practice. Won’t make perfect but it sure helps.

Wind is the #1 enemy of long range shooting accuracy. 500 yard shots aren’t that hard in calm conditions with verified drop data and a steady rest. Throw a cross wind into the equation and first round hits get a lot harder. The only way to learn is to shoot in varying conditions. That plus let the wind determine your max shot distance on game. Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back