First Time Pointing A Gun At Someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two sides to every story and all the other guy has to say is after he pointed guns at me I felt afraid for my life. Now there is a Felonious assault that just took place. Posting it on the internet for everyone to see.

Somethings are best left unsaid. This thread is one of them!!!
Agreed.

Reading the comments here, it’s a good reminder for any gun owner to remember that the one and only thing one should ever say in any gun incident is “I would like my attorney please”. Anything other than that can be used against you both now and later no matter where it’s said and rather it’s relevant to that situation or one in the future.

Last edited:
Reading the comments here, it’s a good reminder for any gun owner to remember to that the one and only thing one should ever say in any gun incident is “I would like my attorney please”. Anything other than that can be used against you both now and later no matter where it’s said and rather it’s relevant to that situation or one in the future.
In most cases absolutely. In this case the OP's tent would likely be viewed as temporary domicile. Many other factors may come into play but in general due to time of day, remote location, and presence of others it is reasonable for OP to arm himself for protection. Taking cover while being armed and challenging "shooter" as to intentions all make sense.
Pointing a firearm at someone begins to cross lines but is not by itself "felonious" or "assault" . If things escalated beyond what happened in this case, absolutely involve attorneys. This situation seems easy to explain the events to law enforcement and fear of subject's intent to do harm.
Putting someone at gun point, detaining them, or other aggressive actions prior to having a higher certainty of the situation is a BIG step. I'm glad this situation worked out and the OP and party are safe.
edit -Let's remember the OP called law enforcement. The situation would not be helped by LE showing up asking what happened and being told by the reporting party at the scene " I want an attorney"

Last edited:
So just a recap you pointed your gun and ordered somebody around who hadn’t done anything illegal or made any verbal threat towards you?
Your recap is obviously based on 2 seconds of analysis of the situation. First of all, it's illegal to carry a firearm with a round in the chamber while hunting in CO. It's illegal to discharge a firearm within 150 yds of an occupied campground. It's probably assault for blowing out my eardrums. I could probably come up with a much longer list if I thought about it for another 5 minutes. So, feel free to delete your asinine comments and I'll delete this rebuttal of them.

And what would you have done if the guy didn’t listen to your orders and just walked away or got in his pickup?
What if there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll?

Who cares? That's not what happened. If you want to start your own thread about what you did or would do in a different situation, feel free.

What if there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll?

Who cares? That's not what happened. If you want to start your own thread about what you did or would do in a different situation, feel free.
If you haven’t entertained these thoughts in your mind, you had no business doing what you did. You should care. I don’t. The questions were merely intended to invoke thought. Lack of thought in situations like this leads to unfavorable outcomes.

For anyone still reading this, I just wanted to share that one of my buddies in the pop-up camper called me again today to say, "Thanks." He had left his rifle in his truck and for a second, when he peeked out the door and saw how close the guy was to his truck, he worried the guy was shooting his gun. He said he felt completely helpless without a gun and was really thankful that I handled the situation as I did. He pointed out that he had some training in the military that involved possible interactions with civilians (presumably armed), but that he had never actually had to confront someone.

Anyone that thinks I was wrong to have a gun pointed in the direction of the unknown, reckless perp hasn't had their ears blown out by a rifle shot in the absolute darkness. The fear was real and I wasn't going to wait to verify that, yep, there's a hole in my daughter or one of my friends before I recover from all the disadvantages I was at.

And yea, next time I'll wait the guy out while I'm lying on the frozen ground in my long johns...

The only thing I would do differently is have a gun ready to go and a bright/blinding headlamp/gun-mounted light so I didn't have to ask the perp to turn on a light so I could see what he was doing or how many friends he had with him.

This a very less than optimal way to approach this situation. For a number of reasons.
3am with a stranger in your camp, gun discharges within close proximity, young daughter with me... sorry to each their own. I couldn't live with myself if anything ever happened to my daughter that could have been prevented by me. Just me, I guess. No one said "finger on the trigger".

Perfectly legal and reasonable in this situation to do exactly what what the OP did. Not sure if you've ever been in a situation that warrants aggressive force.

Feel free to look up the Tueller 21 foot rule and you'll understand how fast someone can come at you within seconds being over 21' feet away.

Stuff happens fast.

Everyone always says "I carry a pistol in the backcountry not for the 4 legged critters, but for the 2 legged ones". Ever wonder why that comment is made? Because there is truth to it.

Last edited:
3am with a stranger in your camp, gun discharges within close proximity, young daughter with me... sorry to each their own. I couldn't live with myself if anything ever happened to my daughter that could have been prevented by me. Just me, I guess. No one said "finger on the trigger". Perfectly legal and reasonable in this situation to do exactly what what the OP did.
There are research studies that show why it’s a bad idea to have your crosshairs on the person, not to mention the delayed physical response by doing so. Also, having your finger indexed on the safety with it on is the best guarantee it doesn’t end up on the trigger, which research also shows will happen.

There are research studies that show why it’s a bad idea to have your crosshairs on the person, not to mention the delayed physical response by doing so. Also, having your finger indexed on the safety with it on is the best guarantee it doesn’t end up on the trigger, which research also shows will happen.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually been in defensive situations before. No research studies necessary. Best regards.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been in defensive situations before. No research studies necessary. Best regards.
Sounds like you have it all figured out. OODA loop is exactly why looking at your crosshairs can slow you down, but then again research is unnecessary. After all, it might disprove what we want to believe. Good luck.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Research is worthless. Good luck.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. OODA loop is exactly why looking at your crosshairs can slow you down, but then again research is unnecessary. After all, it might disprove what we want to believe. Good luck.
I feel like I have for my individual needs. Your's may vary. As mentioned, to each their own.

Two sides to every story and all the other guy has to say is after he pointed guns at me I felt afraid for my life. Now there is a Felonious assault that just took place. Posting it on the internet for everyone to see.

Somethings are best left unsaid. This thread is one of them!!!
Lockerroom lawyer. Pfft.

Too bad that intruder didn't pull that stunt where I live. He would be looking at losing his guns and maybe a little time in the lockup. In an Ontario hunting area guns must be totally encased and unloaded after dark. No cop would bother you for being ready for trouble as long as you called 911.

Sounds to me like this guy just left the bar and was drunk. Too gassed to know how to unload his own gun. Someone should give him a hand grenade the next time he leaves the party. "Here, go set in your truck and unload this."

Hopefully the OP hasn’t retained any of these internet lawyers. It’s not that hard to articulate that a strange person entering your camp at 3am and waking you up with gunfire could make you fear for your life. The OP didn’t come out blasting and ask questions later, he handled it properly and everyone walked away.

What’s the alternative? Zip yourself up in your sleeping bag and hope nothing bad happens? (you quilt users are screwed).

OP I’m assuming you threw your soiled shorts directly on the fire afterwards? I know I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back