First time pheasant hunt, but definitely not the last

Jape

Upland bird hunting always seemed to coincide with big game hunts, so we never went growing up. The allure always stayed with me though and we finally made it happen with three generations of hunters this week (dad, brothers, and the oldest grandchild in each family).

Had some friends with dogs and half the fun was watching them do their thing. The pointers were fascinating when they found a bird. This will now become an annual tradition.

4147BB29-ECB7-4DD8-B977-A80514F6BD9F.jpeg20292B03-6623-4760-96C0-AFE3BEDF9486.jpeg0F8B9918-7882-49B4-83BA-A65C28D68D3F.jpegD52A9CB0-70DE-41E8-82F8-1FC4CEE802F9.jpeg

I love big game hunting but my roots are in pheasant and quail hunting. It's definitely a different type of hunt. I make room in my schedule every year to have a few days of pheasant hunting.

Looks like a great time! And yes, after hunting with upland dogs, it's hard to hunt without them. A lot of fun to watch them work.

I love big game hunting but my roots are in pheasant and quail hunting. It's definitely a different type of hunt. I make room in my schedule every year to have a few days of pheasant hunting.

I don't think it will ever replace my love for big game hunting, but from now on each year will be incomplete without this pheasant hunt.

Looks like fun!! Fingers crossed I’ll be chasing pheasants for a day next weekend. Never done that before either

I didn't know akovis was in MT... ;)

That's a dandy haul of roosters! Well done! Hank, my dog, is jealous.

I'm not having much luck up here on the Hi Line. Terrible so far. Lucky if I can get a shot a day working two great dogs. Last three seasons have been bad but this is the worst yet. Seeing an awful lot of deer bone piles though including three big bucks that died in velvet and one just after shedding antlers. This doesn't look good!

Upland bird hunting always seemed to coincide with big game hunts, so we never went growing up. The allure always stayed with me though and we finally made it happen with three generations of hunters this week (dad, brothers, and the oldest grandchild in each family).

Had some friends with dogs and half the fun was watching them do their thing. The pointers were fascinating when they found a bird. This will now become an annual tradition.

View attachment 160153View attachment 160154View attachment 160155View attachment 160156
Good times.

Nice - great to see the whole family out. Great family picture.

I understand what you say on big game -- it is like a constant itch. Luckily we have an overlap season in the south part of the province so this past week harvest a deer and a couple of pheasants. I hope to do the same again next week.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back