Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

first time michigan bear hunter

hoganfireman

Folks,

I drew my first bear tag in Michigan. I drew a Baraga 2nd period tag. I'm looking for some advice, I know the area well during snowmobile season. I've certainly seen areas that I would hunt while zipping through on my arcticcat. Can anyone please offer some great advice for a complete noob? Needless to say I'm excited because I'll be in the U.P. when I return from my elk hunt in Montana, Sept is going to be awesome!

Get on the michigan sportsmans page and ask on there, better odds of finding someone who knows the area. But I am sure it won’t take long for you to find some public land to hunt. I took my first bear last year on public land in the carney unit. Just get far enough from the road to avoid the bird hunters. Good luck.

What part of the UP will you be hunting? i drew my first bear tag this year for Upper Wisco, I can actually see the UP from the end of the driveway to our cabin so we may be close!

Are you hunting public or private? and like thusby said are you baiting using dogs or spot and stalk?

If baiting I like my baits close to water and in thick cover. Prefer just a small natural opening where I can get back 20-50 yards. By thoughts is with the thick cover I feel the bears come in earlier

What part of the UP will you be hunting? i drew my first bear tag this year for Upper Wisco, I can actually see the UP from the end of the driveway to our cabin so we may be close!

Are you hunting public or private? and like thusby said are you baiting using dogs or spot and stalk?
I'l be in the Baraga unit

I'll be in Baraga

I'll be in a ground blind over bait

If you are looking in to a guide, which is a good plan and relatively reasonable, I’d get searching and quick. The good ones can book up fast if they aren’t already. Lots of folks can find bears, it’s a lot harder to find nice bears. Good luck - interested to hear how it goes.

Back