Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First time, long time!

Same story as most here in Oklahoma except maybe moderately better. Were once found regularly across the whole state now they're a rare sight in the eastern half. Fortunately there are still some decent populations in western Oklahoma. Flushed a large covey on a wma in western Oklahoma two Saturdays ago while turkey hunting.

We saw them fairly often when I was growing up in SW Iowa. Every spring, there would be at least a couple males calling somewhere around the edge of the barnyard. Super neat to hide and whistle “bob-white!” back at them. They’ll come looking for you.

They are starting a come back in the east also. Md I've seen a few and in Va, a lot of farm owners are butting large amounts of new birds in.

Back in the 80's, when i was a kid, there used to be some around are neighborhood. Had the shit scared out off me a few different times in western Kansas by those little devil's

We saw them fairly often when I was growing up in SW Iowa. Every spring, there would be at least a couple males calling somewhere around the edge of the barnyard. Super neat to hide and whistle “bob-white!” back at them. They’ll come looking for you.
much more common south of I-80. Our pheasants are doing ok, we have a few hungarian partridge, and a few grouse where there is habitat. Predator control is an issue and we need more people trapping/hunting the predators of ground nesting birds.

much more common south of I-80. Our pheasants are doing ok, we have a few hungarian partridge, and a few grouse where there is habitat. Predator control is an issue and we need more people trapping/hunting the predators of ground nesting birds.
Yeah, huns and grouse don’t exist where I’m from. Even turkeys were spotty until about 20 years ago. It was a big deal the first time I saw turks in my parents timber. From what I hear, the raccoons etc have done a lot of damage to bird survival there recently too. It’s a shame because the Turkey hunting was phenomenal for several years after they got established.

Sure it's not a left over training bird? Many years ago out on Sauvie Island near Portland Oregon, there was a nice covey of Bob White that were left over from training and trials out there. Somehow some of them actually survived. Some guy's claimed they had also produced nest's and raised some young. Don't know about that. I've had pen raised Bob White make the nicest nests and fill them with eggs but never had one sit a nest. Be nice to see a re-generation of game birds everywhere. next to none here in Central Oregon. Seems to me the claim for the biggest reason losing them is loss of habitat. Out here it's claimed changed farming practices. No more hedge rows, clean farming and no bird cover left. That and spray. Seems they spray to kill all the bugs and that is a big part of game bird diet.

My son moved onto an old ranch near a Indian Res here recently and says he hearing chukars, hope so. Will take the dogs out and hopefully shoot a few if they are there. Otherwise bird hunting for me this year seems like it's gonna be planted game farm birds, better than nothing!

I hear a covey every once in a while deer hunting or just outdoors. Used to be so common I can't hardly believe they are gone now.

Back